May 28 - Toronto vs. Puerto Rico [R]

DJT

Final:

Toronto 4Puerto Rico 4

19' PR Corey Woolfolk [header over Zagar from top of box off pass from shallow midfield]

23' TOR Conrad Smith [kicked in from middle of box off cross from left by Matondo]

25' PR Mauricio Salles-De Alencar [spectacular half bicycle kick from edge of box off cross from left]

44' PR Mauricio Salles-De Alencar (PK) [islander brought down in box by sloppy tackle by Titus]

55' TOR David Simpson [jumping header from penalty spot off corner kick from left]

67' TOR Jamie Dodds [free kick from top of penalty arc into right side of net]

91' TOR Dave Simpson [free kick from left side crossed to right side of net and Simpson slides and kicks it in]

92' PR Edivaldo Sarafim-DaSilva [shot from left stopped by Zagar, rebound stopped by defender, next rebound kicked in]

Result of the Saturday May 28th, 2005 USL game between Toronto Lynx and Puerto Rico Islanders played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 7:30pm.

18 min...Islanders Corey Woolfolk GOAL...PRI Johanes Maliza chips ball forward through defenders for charging Woolfolk to tip header from 10 yards over charging goalie Theo Zagar.

22 min...Lynx Conrad Smith GOAL...Lynx Sita-Taty Matondo on left in box rolls ball through box and Smith takes low 8 yard shot to right corner of net past goalie Daniel Kennedy.

24 min...Islanders Marcio Salles De Alencar GOAL...PRI Alexis Rivera crosses from near left sideline and Salles gets away bicycle kick from 12 yards into left corner of net. This was a world class goal!

42 min...A PRI player is knocked down inside the right side of box after being sent through ball. Referee Jonathan Lavergue signals for a Penalty kick. Jamie Dodds gets a Yellow card for complaining about call (he wasn't the guy who knocked over the PRI player).

43 min...Islanders Marcia Salles De Alencar GOAL...Salles rolls penalty kick into low left corner of net freezing goalie in middle of net.

54 min...Lynx David Simpson GOAL...Lynx Jamie Dodds takes cornerkick from left. Simpson leaps in crowd of players in box and heads ball in from 5 yards on right to left side of net.

67 min...Lynx Jamie Dodds GOAL...Lynx Dodds 22 yard freekick up middle is curled over wall of both Lynx and PRI players standing 12 yards out and is into top right corner of net beyond flying goalie.

90 min...Lynx David Simpson GOAL...Lynx Jamie Dodds freekick from 22 yards near left edge of box is over heads of leaping players but falls to charging Simpson on right who boots low 6 yarder to left corner of net.

91 min...Islanders Edivaldo Juninho Da Silva GOAL...Da Silva blasts in 10 yarder after Lynx goalie had made great hand save on shot from left as Islanders players had charged down field immediately after play restarted. The defenders had left Da Silva following up play in clear to kick that rebound.

93 min... game ends.

Final Score:.......Toronto Lynx............4..............Puerto Rico Islanders..........4............

Attendance wasn't announced but was given as 1275. The crowd looked in size the same as the 900 fans who were at the Lady Lynx game last week. There had been rain earlier in the day but skies were bright sun at the beginning of the game.

The Lynx strategy tonight was to use three forwards to maximize their offense. Conrad Smith, David Simpson and Sita-Taty Matondo (newly acquired from Montreal Impact) got their chances but it left the Lynx short at the back and suseptable to counterattacks. It made the game exciting with rush after rush from both teams.

Some of the Islanders players especially the forwards were tall men. This year's team has got ex-Rochester players Corey Woolfolk and Noah Delgado as starters tonight. Every Islanders goal started a rush of players to salute coach Hugo Maradona. Like all the Maradona brothers I've seen like Diego and Raul ('Lalo') they are about 5ft 6in and it looked funny to see the coach to jump into the players arms.

Jamie Dodds was allowed to take all the cornerkicks and close-in freekicks and did quite a good job. David Simpson got to show off his speed and tonight proves he can put the ball in the net which was something I noticed he couldn't do when I saw his CPSL play last year with the Hamilton Thunder. Abraham Francois was playing his first game since being traded from the Montreal Impact along with Matondo for Ali Gerba. Despite this 2 for 1 swap, the Islanders still had more substitutes than the Lynx. Injuries and suspensions continue to reduce the Lynx players available on a game by game basis.

Despite the four goals, it is hard to fault Lynx goalie Theo Zagar who had to be sharp to keep his team in the game when a rush would be broken up and the Islanders counterattack or a clearance attempt would deflect back over the defenders and find an Islanders player all alone. He made some diving saves to steal the ball off the feet of Islanders players. Islanders goalie Daniel Kennedy came out to cut the angle and make two crucial saves in the second half.

Lynx now haven't won in their eight games played this year. This was the first of their 'must' win games as the Rogers Cable guys kept saying. I think the worst element was the crowd for only their second home game of the year was so low. This was a weekend game and the weather turned out to be perfect. This has to be a cumulative effect for years of missing the playoffs. The feeling of looking at the standings and feeling 'same old, same old' has crept into the fans mindset. Too bad as this was a very exciting game. This may not be the best strategy for winning games because teams like Montreal Impact would have eaten them alive.

Next Lynx game is this Tuesday at 11:00am against Rochester Raging Rhinos for their annual School Day theme. This is one short term way of boosting attendance but I'll be interested in seeing what their next 'night' game next Saturday at 7:30pm against Portland Timbers brings about in numbers of fans.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

It was exciting - there was no defence in the game whatsoever by either side, but that's all right, it was at least entertaining. Some nice goals by each team & some nice individual skill on display by the Lynx. I'm sorry Rupert wasn't here to see this game that the horrible mess we showed him last week.

Wild and wicked kick about at Centenial. Must have been like watching a tennis match. Look left, look right, look left, look right...

Pity about the crowd but it's true crap weather can really kill the walk up no matter how the evening eventual turns out. People just make plans on the expected weather and sitting on wooden bleachers in a damp wind isn't a big hit with a lot of people. Plus it's the Islanders. Plus it's early on in the season. Plus the Lynx are on a crap run so far. All adds up to a poor showing at the gate. Hope things improve.

Interesting points about the perception of "same old, same old" from the supports and the Hell-bent-for-goal strategy probably not being a good one against the more skilled Div. 1 clubs. Your on field tactics are way easier to change than off the field perceptions unfortunately. Especially worrying ones that make the customers disinterested.

Nice to see the Lynx give it a go on their home turf though. Good on them that. And I'm sure it'll do wonders for a couple of the lads to gain a little goal scoring and goal creating confidense. That's allways a good investment.

This had to be one of the more exiting games I have beeen to. It actaully looked good. THe U-SECTOR looked good. The 1200+ crowd seemed to be into it booing some calls getting upset over the yellows. When the LYNX scored to take the 4-3 lead the stadium was actually ALIVE, then a minute later when we let it in the entire stadium was just quiet and it was like "AHHHH NOOOO" sort of thing. The players came off to a standing ovation from the U-SECTOR and some fans joined in. The players acknowledged us.

The fans applauded them? Only in Canada this could happen. If a team blows a lead like that the fans should be throwing eggs at them and demanding their money back. Applauding them will only make the team think that it's "ok" to screw up every game. This is pro soccer not a kids game.You don't applaud them for effort.

"You don't applaud them for effort"

Well then why else would you applaud them. I think comming back from 3-1 down at half to lead 4-3 in stoppage time is pretty damn good. Of course i woulda liked 3 points instead of 1 but the Lynx showed me somthing comming together without Ali.

Was Jeremie Piette ill? Does he have a heart condition? Each time he had to run he lost his man and at stoppages was sucking wind and looking like he was going to puke. He directly cost the Lynx two goals. Unless he was ill, he is a fat bastard who couldn't play in a decent beer league. Does he smoke or something? Ridiculous.

Huffman is fun to watch. I see him starring in a series of movies:

Waiting for Huffman

Huffman's First Touch

Huffman's crazy hips!

quote:
The fans applauded them? Only in Canada this could happen. If a team blows a lead like that the fans should be throwing eggs at them and demanding their money back. Applauding them will only make the team think that it's "ok" to screw up every game. This is pro soccer not a kids game.You don't applaud them for effort.
quote:

Only in canada?? what are you a clown the players walk of and they solute the fans thanking them for the support and we apploude thier efforts.

Listen Robin it's not normal for fans to cheer a losing team. And it's not normal for a team to come back from 2 goals down to take the lead only to lose it 30 seconds later. The reason why they lose all the time is because they think it's ok to lose as long as they tried their best. In any other circumstances the coach would of been sacked,and a lot of players would get sacked. I think that is what should happen in this case. The team needs change NOW!

quote:Originally posted by Batigol

Listen Robin it's not normal for fans to cheer a losing team. And it's not normal for a team to come back from 2 goals down to take the lead only to lose it 30 seconds later. The reason why they lose all the time is because they think it's ok to lose as long as they tried their best. In any other circumstances the coach would of been sacked,and a lot of players would get sacked. I think that is what should happen in this case. The team needs change NOW!

It'a also not normal for the Lynx to score 3 goals in a game. Lynx fans are like thristy men in a desert. For years I thought the Toronto team's name was 0's. cause I'd also read the boxscore and it'd say

Montreal 3 Toronto 0

Long Island 2 Toronto 0

Toronto 0 Vancouver 2

etc

The only place the team really needs change is at the ownership level - otherwise there have been constant changes at the player & coach level, too many. I'm not saying the on-field product can't be improved, but its never going to become a contender for the title with this ownership in place. We (and even some of the Lynx players) can't even keep track of who their teammates are (expect two more signings announced for June 1), they've had 3 different coaches in the past 3 years and more injury problems. Some stability on the field would be nice. So would a bigger field actually, so that Fraser & Matondo could have a bit more room to run past people with the ball.

• 3 weeks later...

your right

Archived