Why all the fuss? Why do we want a stadium?

Robert

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Just think, if there is $30M of disposable cash, what kind of players a Canadian team could buy on the international market. Personally, I think that this would attract far more fans than spending the money on a new stadium. Mr Kerfoot could buy some great young talent and turn the Whitecaps into the USL's flagship team. My advise to Greg would be to take his chequebook to Holland next week, and to sign four or five players at the upcoming WYC. Being Dutch and the second most intelligent soccer individual on these boards, I'd be more than willing to volunteer my services and accompany Mr. Kerfoot on this talent acquiring mission.

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. :D

.... second most intelligent. That's funny.

The thing Cheeta is trying to say is Starbucks spent the $30 million in disposable cash to build a fancy shmansy image and he walked out $22 poorer. It seems many other people are willing to do that too as there happen to be Starbucks on all four corners at some locations. Brittney Spears can't sing worth $hit but the record company spent crap loads on her image and everyone bought it. So maybe if Saputo is willing to put the Impact in a pretty package to sell it better maybe he should because that's what all the other businesses are doing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig Bellamy or whatever won't come to Montreal and the USL anyways, and long-life goes through a stadium and not inadequate track facilities.

With your limited analysis, I might as well say this - History has shown : put a team in an inadequate, uncustom facility (Manic at Big O, Als at Big O, Expos at Big O) and they are doomed for failure. Put them in good facilities and the fans will stay with them (Als went 8-8, Habs at Bell Centre). You're all over the place with your logic and none's particularly convincing. Are you Bruno Hatrell?

Craig Bellamy or whatever won't come to Montreal and the USL anyways, and long-life goes through a stadium and not inadequate track facilities.

With your limited analysis, I might as well say this - History has shown : put a team in an inadequate, uncustom facility (Manic at Big O, Als at Big O, Expos at Big O) and they are doomed for failure. Put them in good facilities and the fans will stay with them (Als went 8-8, Habs at Bell Centre). You're all over the place with your logic and none's particularly convincing. Are you Bruno Hatrell?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I should be so lucky. It has always been my dream to own a pro soccer team, and if by good fortune I'd be so lucky to inherit the Lynx, the first thing I'd do is to move the club out of that ungrateful city.

Due to my limitations, I wasn't aware that you represented Mr. Bellamy's interests. Could you maybe enlighten us if you are aware of any of Mr. Bellamy's colleagues from say Benin, Chile, Egypt, Honduras, Morocco, Nigeria, Panama or Syria having expressed any possible interest of earning an USL living in a city like Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver?

Why are there so many Voyageurs, who insist on comparing apples to organges, or coffee to soccer, or other sports to soccer, or fat and skinny chicks to soccer, or..........?

Why are there so many Voyageurs, who insist on comparing apples to organges, or coffee to soccer, or other sports to soccer, or fat and skinny chicks to soccer, or..........?

Maybe there is a need for soccer people to look beyond the scope of our little soccer world to see what works. We've tried big leagues, we've tried small leagues, we've tried pro, semi-pro and amateur leagues and we all know what the successes have been. Maybe in the end it all comes down to packaging. If it looks like a good product then it must be a good product, if it looks like a crap product then it must be a crap product.

Whatever happened to that stadium you were gonna build east of Winnipeg?

this $hit is bananas

Who is on first who is on second.Still don't have an answer ,why is the FIFA against the dome.Is it too small,too big,not wide enough,what?I enjoyd the games there very much.Never saw anything that disturbed me,au contrair.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Is there any evidence that a SSS improves attendance compared to some cavernous 50,000+ seat-stadium?

A little OT, and not evidence, but Camden Yards is a good example of the 'build it and they will come philosophy' that sometimes works. Then again, I hear things in Pittsburgh have already gone to **** while following this model. It seems like you really have to get everything right in order for the building to generate attendance on its own -at least for any sustained period. If the rumours of the propoed location and construction of Kerfoot's stadium are reasonably accurate, we might have a shot at this unlikely successs out here.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

A little OT, and not evidence, but Camden Yards is a good example of the 'build it and they will come philosophy' that sometimes works. Then again, I hear things in Pittsburgh have already gone to **** while following this model. It seems like you really have to get everything right in order for the building to generate attendance on its own -at least for any sustained period. If the rumours of the propoed location and construction of Kerfoot's stadium are reasonably accurate, we might have a shot at this unlikely successs out here.

There are 2 places I've read around these parts about the location for the Whitecaps. One is behind the train station around terminal and the other is east of Gastown. What is the latest rumour? Or am I up to date?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Danny Danny. Know your history. Soccer did not begin in Montreal with Joey Saputo.

The Manic drew 23,000 for two years in the Big O. They were an exciting team that had great players. They would have stomped the current Impact easily. People understood they were quality.

Molson pulled the plug after 4 million in loses and decided to turn them into Team Canada. (good idea maybe in Calgary, but not in East End PQ Montreal). Then it only went down to 10,000. Still better than what the Impact have done over a course of a season. The Expos also drew well when the product was good in Montreal. I was at the play-off game that last year against the Cosmos and they still drew twice the crowd the Impact championship game last summer did.

And the Expos drew over 2 million when the were WINNING. The Als in late the 70's and early 80's when they were WINNING, they average over 45,00 a game at the Big O. And when both teams sucked on the field, fans turned their backs on the teams. The Stadium had nothing to do with it. Had the Als been playing at Molson at the time the crowds would have been just as small.

And even today when the ALS return their for play-off games the crowds are huge.

One common thing: they all did well at the gate when they were WINNING. When the Expos and Als turned to crap, the crowds stayed away, the Als could have been playing at McGill in those dark days and drew nothing.

SO It has nothing to do with "stadium". The Impact could have played out of McGill last year and did the same gate, maybe even better for the play-offs.

WINNING IS EVERYTHING IN MONTREAL.

As for SSS debate improving crowds, the Columbus Crew haven't exactly filled their small joint. Chivas is LA has been a bust in a SSS drawing 8,000 for their last game.

Has a baseball specific stadium created stability for baseball in Ottawa?

ummm no.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Danny Danny. Know your history. Soccer did not begin in Montreal with Joey Saputo.

The Manic drew 23,000 for two years in the Big O. They were an exciting team that had great players. They would have stomped the current Impact easily. People understood they were quality.

Molson pulled the plug after 4 million in loses and decided to turn them into Team Canada. (good idea maybe in Calgary, but not in East End PQ Montreal). Then it only went down to 10,000. Still better than what the Impact have done over a course of a season. The Expos also drew well when the product was good in Montreal. I was at the play-off game that last year against the Cosmos and they still drew twice the crowd the Impact championship game last summer did.

And the Expos drew over 2 million when the were WINNING. The Als in late the 70's and early 80's when they were WINNING, they average over 45,00 a game at the Big O. And when both teams sucked on the field, fans turned their backs on the teams. The Stadium had nothing to do with it. Had the Als been playing at Molson at the time the crowds would have been just as small.

And even today when the ALS return their for play-off games the crowds are huge.

One common thing: they all did well at the gate when they were WINNING. When the Expos and Als turned to crap, the crowds stayed away, the Als could have been playing at McGill in those dark days and drew nothing.

SO It has nothing to do with "stadium". The Impact could have played out of McGill last year and did the same gate, maybe even better for the play-offs.

WINNING IS EVERYTHING IN MONTREAL.

As for SSS debate improving crowds, the Columbus Crew haven't exactly filled their small joint. Chivas is LA has been a bust in a SSS drawing 8,000 for their last game.

ummm no.

You fail to make any mention of Montreal's most famous sporting institution, the Montreal Canadians Hockey Club. How has their attendance been since they left the Forum? The results of late pale in comparison to their glory years. Does your claim that "WINNING is everything in Montreal" hold true in this case? Successful sports institutions, such as the Habs, have gradually over decades built up a loyal fans base that 99% of today's pro franchises can only dream of. I will not even comment on anyone thinks that a new stadium in Toronto, will develop that kind of support without a team having been formed, let alone ever having played a competitive game. Hopefully, my tax dollars will not be wasted on such a scheme.

ummm no.

Ottawa still has it's AAA team. Even if the team moves, another team will step in it's place.

Nuff said.

Wow, you really can't keep track of what you say, can you? I'm sure the brand-spanking-new Big O had NOTHING to do with these crowds which would have showed up in equal numbers at Jarry Park, the Autostade or Delorimier Downs. Right? [|)]

If you guys are saying that wins are what put the draw good crowds

they how come the CSA has not got the message that the quality of the team come first before the stadium.

Why are they pushing so hard for a toronto stadium while if you put all of our various national team record for the last Pathetic and dismal can only barely describe it.

is this the kind of teams that the CSA thinks that will fill the stadium games after games?

you will find out that the CSA are not really taking care of business

If the Saputo's want to build a stadium for their winning team its their money they can do whatever they want

Soccer has got more exposure in Montreal with the inpact around

we should all be happy that such a team is looking to continue building on their momentum.

Peoples are complaining about the lack of vision of the Lynx yet the same poeples complain and the vision and organisation that Montreal is putting forward for the better promotion of soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Prime location on the water side of the rail tracks but that's part of the plan to help ensure multiple use. Remains to be seen if they can pull it off though.

Kudos on the prompt delivery of PCSL scores. Eagerly awaiting the United vs Thunderbirds score.

Kudos on the prompt delivery of PCSL scores. Eagerly awaiting the United vs Thunderbirds score.

Thanks. I was at the Surrey-Skagit and the first half of the New West-Penticton games myself hence the photos. The remaining scores for today will be posted before the night is out.

The Thunderbirds-Victoria game should have been a barnburner. I hope to make it to the New West-Victoria game Sunday, 3.00pm at Cloverdale. Should also be a good one. Dave Collard, manager for the Whitecaps Reserve men tells me the 'Caps have been very impressed with their overall experience with the PCSL. Describe it as a slick, well run league and they are more than happy with the competition. Said they have had to work very hard for their victories in the main. There goes my fax machine - stand by for more results on the website.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Thanks. I was at the Surrey-Skagit and the first half of the New West-Penticton games myself hence the photos. The remaining scores for today will be posted before the night is out.

The Thunderbirds-Victoria game should have been a barnburner. I hope to make it to the New West-Victoria game Sunday, 3.00pm at Cloverdale. Should also be a good one. Dave Collard, manager for the Whitecaps Reserve men tells me the 'Caps have been very impressed with their overall experience with the PCSL. Describe it as a slick, well run league and they are more than happy with the competition. Said they have had to work very hard for their victories in the main. There goes my fax machine - stand by for more results on the website.

I can visualize Ted's smile.

Hey guys,I hope that this country will be filed up soccer stadia.In the meantime foreign soccer promotors are making a killing with games at the Rogers center, yet no one on this board has ever explained to me what is wrong with the place.

As I said before it beats the Arena in Amsterdam which became a fact after Ajax came over and yes I was the one who made that happen.

Getting Ajax up here.

• 4 months later...
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

How do you take your crow well done or stuffed up your arse?

The thing with MLS stadiums is that they still want to stay close or even move closer to their target markets. The Metrostars stadium in Harrison, NJ will actually put the team closer to NYC. Downtown land is expensive but people would want facilities downtown so they wouldn't have to go out of their way to reach them.

Nothing it seems will come out of the Toronto in terms of a stadium. Toronto has proven that it can be it's own worst enemy.

Archived