Most lopsided score ever witnessed

Alberto7

Hi all,

Thought I'd start a new thread regarding the most lopsided game you have ever attended. In my case it was a 6-1 Impact win over Rochester in July 1997. It was funny because my son(who was six at the time)didn't want to go to the game because he didn't like the fact that there were never many goals scored in soccer...

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Last year, I was privledged enough to catch Hamilton whup Durham 7-0. Durham was dead last in the league and going nowhere fast at the time, and Hamilton hadn't lost a game at home. That was quite an exhibition.

Potugal over USA 5-0 in S.Korea. It was a beauty.

In person, I was fortunate to take in the road-weary Lynx beating the Calgary Storm 6-0 a few years back. Had me wondering why Thomas Niendorf had been sacked a few weeks earlier. The import goalkeeper was something to behold.

For me, it was the Canadian Women beating Puerto Rico 21-0 (setting a FIFA record, I think it has been surpassed since) during the 1998 CONCACAF Qualifying for the 1999 Women's World Cup @ Centennial -- they followed that up with a 14-0 win over Martinique two days later.

CONCACAF Women's World Cup 1999 Qualifying Tournament

Hosted by Canada at Centennial Park Stadium in Etobicoke during August 1998.

I saw Canada thrash Puerto Rico 21-0, and then took it a bit easier on Martinique beating them 18-0. That 21-0 scoreline was a FIFA record for a while.

Canada had a pretty easy go of it, I think they might have given up maybe 1 goal during the entire tournament, probably against Guatemala. The final was pretty close, the women beat Mexico only 2-0. The place was jumping for the final - it's been 7 years and I've never seen Centennial that full or that loud for any event since.

quote:Originally posted by Silvio

Sorry Elaine, didn't see your reply!

I think you got the scores right.

That tourney was fun to watch -- it was the first time I saw Team Canada (much less realized we HAD a national women's soccer team...)!

One correction in your scores, Silvio, is that Canada beat Mexico in the finals 1-0. Off a Liz Smith goal from a corner kick -- can still remember it go in and going bonkers. The finals was a very tight game with Mexico pressing for a tying goal throughout the 2nd half and if not for some huge defensive plays from our back line, the scoreline could very well be much different!

Ahh ... good times, good times. All nostalgic now!

Portugal beat Poland 5-0, the USA beat Portugal 3-2 in Korea.

My high school team lost 21-0 in one match. Painful to watch because I was playing. The keeper quit at halftime, and they wanted me to go in, but I say nay-nay, not I.

Sad thing was the other team wasn't even trying that hard!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Potugal over USA 5-0 in S.Korea. It was a beauty.

In person, I was fortunate to take in the road-weary Lynx beating the Calgary Storm 6-0 a few years back. Had me wondering why Thomas Niendorf had been sacked a few weeks earlier. The import goalkeeper was something to behold.

Ahh, yes. Alan "Pint O' Guinness" Flanagan. Nothing like a short, chunky keeper to shore up the backline. That game truly was painful.

German's WC 2002 demolition of Saudi Arabia springs to mind.

Liga of Quito 7 Barcelona of Guayaquil 0. The Ecuadorean papers ran headlines in spanish that translated as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" Reerring to Liga's white uniforms and the unprecedented seven goals against their bitter rival.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I've also scored 2 in an 18-0 win in U18.

Wow, I can't imagine playing in a game with 18 goals being scored. I once scored in a 9-2 loss and I couldn't wait for the game to end. I can't imagine what the losing team in your game must have felt. Ouch!

Guest Jeffery S.

I was at a Barça 8 -Osasuna 1 in 1994, at Camp Nou. Three goals by Romario, two by Koeman. That was the last league Barça won with Cruyff; three days after winning the league, amidst the euphoria of the moment, we faced Milan in the European Cup final in Athens and they killed us, our heads were just not there.

But that league for Romario was just amazing.

Alas, I too was at Calgary's 6-0 thrashing at the hands of TO. That's the worst pro match that I've been at.

As a player, I played on a team that laid a 26-0 drubbing on another in my younger days. Our team did everything to keep it respectable. First we switched the keeper with the strikers - then we switched the defence with the mids - then everyone had a turn at playing keeper - then we had to make 10 touches before even thinking of shooting - then everyone had to have a touch before a shot - then we needed to hold possession for 3 (then 5) minutes before advancing - then...well, you get the point. It was like we were playing against pylons. This was at a high level, too. One of Calgary's surrounding communities decided to field a squad in the premier division, one year. It was a short-lived experiment and they dropped down shortly afterward. It was definitely the strangest match I've ever been a part of.

quote:Originally posted by canso

My high school team lost 21-0 in one match.

Ouch.

Been to way too many Fury games to even recall how many times I've see lopsided score lines. Ug.

More recently SOKOL handing United Weston there collective arses in an MSA Cup quarter final a few years ago stands. Weston had a bit of trouble in the attacking third that year but could move the ball around almost professionaly most matchs otherwise. Alas, not on that day they weren't.

Archived