UEFA CL Final: Milan - Liverpool (R)

Jarrek

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Not in any order: Cech, Friedel, Martyn, Lehmann, Almunia, Jaskaliinen, Sorensen, Schwarzer, James (yes, even James was better and I almost hate to admit it), Cudicini (few games but looked very confident), Van Der Saar (inconsistent sure, but not nearly as much as Dudek), Hislop (see Van Der Saar), Carroll (see Van Der Saar)... OK, I think I'm done.

I'll give you the argument that he played most of the 60 games L'Pool played, but inconsistent is still inconsistent. Liverpool has a very solid backfield, which has been watertight in the Champions League, so I can't take clean sheets and goals against on a statistical basis.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way you can rate Roy Caroll or Almunia higher. Dudek is a clown, but those two are incompetent clowns. Jens Lehman has made more mistakes this year, redeemed himself in the Cup final, but who do you think faced the greater penalty shootout pressure? And Hislop? I make a lip fart in your general direction!

You're just a hater.:D

...and I quote:

"...but I think it was destiny that decided to change sides and give the cup to Liverpool."

-Shevchenko on soccernet

I'll shut up about it now.

But for this:

WALK ON. WALK ON. WITH HOPE IN YOUR HEART.

AND YOU"LL NEVER WALK ALONE.

YOU"LL NEEEVEEERRR WAAAALLKK ALOOOOOONNEEEEE.

Good Night Istanbul!!

[:X]:D[:X]:D

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yup, the player started with the ball on the 35 yard line and ran with it towards goal. the Keeper could also do whatever the hell they wanted, and usually came charging out of the net. It required a bit more skill on the part of the player, and allowed for a little more creativity - I used to love it when keepers came charging out and a clever player would "chip" the keeper.

Remember how Cruyff used to flip the ball up into the air, juggle it towards goal, then blast home a volley?

I just read that the owner of Welsh Premier League Champions TNS has offered to play Liverpool in a one-off tie in Cardiff for TNS's spot in the First Qualifying Round of the Champions League if UEFA, the English FA and the Welsh FA agree. He believes such an event would raise the profile of the Welsh Premier League.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

I just read that the owner of Welsh Premier League Champions TNS has offered to play Liverpool in a one-off tie in Cardiff for TNS's spot in the First Qualifying Round of the Champions League if UEFA, the English FA and the Welsh FA agree. He believes such an event would raise the profile of the Welsh Premier League.

Just rejected by the Football Association of Wales, the rotters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/4582621.stm

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

Not in any order: Cech, Friedel, Martyn, Lehmann, Almunia, Jaskaliinen, Sorensen, Schwarzer, James (yes, even James was better and I almost hate to admit it), Cudicini (few games but looked very confident), Van Der Saar (inconsistent sure, but not nearly as much as Dudek), Hislop (see Van Der Saar), Carroll (see Van Der Saar)... OK, I think I'm done.

I'll give you the argument that he played most of the 60 games L'Pool played, but inconsistent is still inconsistent. Liverpool has a very solid backfield, which has been watertight in the Champions League, so I can't take clean sheets and goals against on a statistical basis.

I cannot believe that you did not name Paul Robinson, who should have been England's No 1 goalie in the last World Cup, instead of the aging Seaman. Dudek was simply great yesterday,man-of-the-match, cheated a bit for sure---but can be so shaky during EPL games, not someone I'd want to bet the mortgage on--but then who would have bet on Pool at half-time yesterday-- but someone did! If you were to risk everything, only one goalie would keep you safe, stand up Mr.Cech Have You Ever Seen Chelsea Win The League?????

Dudek would be in the top ten in the prem for me, comming in at 10.

Carrol is a disgrace and he shall be hated by me forever due to the Tottenham incedent!

The best (EPL) is prolly Cech, Jaskelienen, Robinson, van der Saar and Green. Second tier's gotta be Martyn, James, Dudek, Sorensen, Given, Friedel and Lehmann. After that you got guys like Alemunia, Cudicini, Hoult, Kiraly, Niemi, Kiley and Howard.

But thats just me...

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I believe that the penalty rule was changed a couple of years back - a stutter-step is OK, as long as there is no complete stop.

I'll correct myself. A complete stop actually is legal, as long as it not deemed to be unsporting behaviour.

The FIFA Rules of the Game aren't overly clear, as they don't clearly define a feint. The Q&A section states:

Q. A player taking a penalty kick feints before kicking the ball. Is this permitted?

A. Yes.

Here is a clarification from US Soccer back in 2001:

http://www.ussoccer.com/templates/includes/services/referees/pdfs/position_papers/feinting.pdf

Guest HamiltonSteelers

My point from my list of keepers, the point I was making is that I'd choose any one of them over Dudek in a heartbeat. Hislop isn't a bad keeper, just a shoddy backline. Carroll, though a clown, can still step up and make incredible saves. He's had his share of gaffs, but the volume of messups is far less than Dudeks.

I have not been a fan of Dudek at all. This is the first game that he has truly impressed me in his career. His highlight reel is full of blunders. I'm glad that he could step up and be the saviour, but it doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't be in my top 10.

And I named 13 keepers, for the record ;)

quote:Originally posted by elricko

I cannot believe that you did not name Paul Robinson, who should have been England's No 1 goalie in the last World Cup, instead of the aging Seaman. Dudek was simply great yesterday,man-of-the-match, cheated a bit for sure---but can be so shaky during EPL games, not someone I'd want to bet the mortgage on--but then who would have bet on Pool at half-time yesterday-- but someone did! If you were to risk everything, only one goalie would keep you safe, stand up Mr.Cech Have You Ever Seen Chelsea Win The League?????

Dudek was great in the final, but liverpool is about to sign a Spanish keeper, Dudek has had his day,time for someone else.

quote:Originally posted by canso

...Wanted to point out something that I caught during the cup presentation though, wonder if anyone else saw it. The Swedish stuffed shirt wotsisfookinname actually turned and looked at Jamie Carragher when it was time for the captain to come forward and lift the cup, and JC in turn had to point to Stevie G as if to say, "Naw mate, 'es our skipper." Just goes to show what a natural leader Carragher has become....

I don't think pointing out the obvious is a sign of flourishing leadership. If that is the case, then wouldn't a traffic cop at Times Square directing traffic due to a light failure be better off using his abundance of 'leadership' as a chief of a precinct instead of pointing out the obvious to frazzled New Yorkers?

In the PK-shootout Dudek did the same thing that Craig Forrest often did (especially during the 2000 Gold Cup): He did NOT stand in the middle of the goal as the PK-taker (Serginho in this case) was running-up for the shot. That trick seems to work more than 50% of the time for the 'keepers.

You would think it would be obvious, what with the armband and all and maybe Johansson was a wee bit drunk at the time, (I definitely was!) but I saw at as Carragher being such a natural leader, possessing those innate qualities that set such men apart, that Johansson instictively turned to him to ask him to come claim the prize rather than the man who wears the armband.

Of course, the lad was given the armband as a bonus to his new contract in the first place, and is only now starting to earn it.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by canso

Dudek is still being seranaded by hordes of adoring scousers.

Must be a nice change from the ususal torture handed to him. He does deserve his accolades for that game... but that's where it begins and ends.

Carroll is goof. Threatening to leave for not having enough starting roles. Wanting more money and a better contract. Just because he plays for a top side, doesn't mean he's a top keeper. When Carroll lands at Wigan, who will pay him the money he wants and stays in the top flight, he'll discover that he is not as good as he thinks he is when they go straight back down.

But I'd still pick him over Dudek. Jerk or not, he's still a better keeper.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

In the PK-shootout Dudek did the same thing that Craig Forrest often did (especially during the 2000 Gold Cup): He did NOT stand in the middle of the goal as the PK-taker (Serginho in this case) was running-up for the shot. That trick seems to work more than 50% of the time for the 'keepers.

Dida on the other hand, guessed right EVERY single time. In fact, from watching Dida week in and week out, I have come up to conclusion that He is weak on the left side. I have never seen him make a diving save on the left...

Be prepared to change your lists of Top-10 keepers in the Premiership if the rumour I just read has any validity. Apparently Man U have decided not to make a bid for Iker Casillas and are instead about to offer £35M to Juventus for Gigi Buffon.

This makes some sense after another rumour I read earlier today stating that Juve were about to make an offer for Roma's Italy U-21 keeper Gianluca Curci. I have read that Man U, Monaco, and AC Milan have taken a very keen interest in Curci.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Be prepared to change your lists of Top-10 keepers in the Premiership if the rumour I just read has any validity. Apparently Man U have decided not to make a bid for Iker Casillas and are instead about to offer £35M to Juventus for Gigi Buffon.

This makes some sense after another rumour I read earlier today stating that Juve were about to make an offer for Roma's Italy U-21 keeper Gianluca Curci. I have read that Man U, Monaco, and AC Milan have taken a very keen interest in Curci.

Makes sense I guess. Don't know why AC Milan would want Curci, as they have Dida, and a former U-21 national Italy keeper as Dida's backup.

Monaco needs a good keeper, they have a guy Roma, He's an absolute farce.

Guest Liverpool_Magic

Just as long as uefa let us defend our championship that all that matters me at the moment. We could play our rivals Everton in a

special 2 leg playoff for the 4th EPL CL spot, we'd kicked the arses.

quote:Originally posted by footyfanatic01

Don't know why AC Milan would want Curci, as they have Dida, and a former U-21 national Italy keeper as Dida's backup.

I think Curci will be better than Dida and Abbiati (who's looking to leave, anyway) — if he isn't already (minus experience). It has been suggested that Curci will be Italy's next great goalkeeper. Interestingly, he has been dropped from Italy's roster for the U20 WC and has been promoted to the U21 team for their qualifier this weekend at Norway, where he is also supposed to spend time training with the full NT. As for Dida, I've always thought that he is Milan's weakest link.

quote:Monaco needs a good keeper, they have a guy Roma, He's an absolute farce.
I haven't seen Monaco all season so I wouldn't know, but Roma was called to Italy's NT for Saturday's WCQ match at Norway (not that he'll play).

quote:Originally posted by Liverpool_Magic

Just as long as uefa let us defend our championship that all that matters me at the moment.

It isn't about UEFA. Their rule is clear and has existed since the CL was expanded to 32 teams. Moreoever, there is a precedent as the rule has already been applied once before, when Real Madrid won the CL in 1999/2000 but finished only 5th in Spain, in which case the Spanish FA gave them a spot and took one away from 4th-placed Real Zaragoza. So it's up to the English FA to sort out. There's no way that England should get special treatment from UEFA.

Archived