UEFA CL Final: Milan - Liverpool (R)

Jarrek

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My tape of this match has now been given a place of honour on my mantle.

It shall be brought down often and watched with purest glee, and will be rigged so that it will be physically impossible to EVER tape over it.

As overjoyed as I am, I really feel for the Fans of Milan. I went through their emotions, only in reverse.

It was truly a match to remember.

Sing it with me:

"LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL,

LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOO-OOL,

LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL, LIVERPOOL,

LIVERPOOL, LIV-ER-POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Wonderful match. I managed to avoid the result and watched the Telelatino replay.

IMO: There was definite contact on Gerrard - good penalty call. Dudek was quite far off his line on that save, as seems to be almost commonplace these days.

I believe that the penalty rule was changed a couple of years back - a stutter-step is OK, as long as there is no complete stop.

What was the old NASL-style shootout format?? I'm very curious.

Most days I can watch CL games before going to work. Today I was supposed to be there by 2 p.m. At 1:50 I'm getting dressed watching the start of the second half .figuting it's well over . . 2:05 I'm scrambling in late cursing my stupid job.

I'm not a fan of either team, but man that game was a lot of fun to watch. I finally saw the end. I couldn't believe Milan's PK choices, though I would have bet a hefty sum on Shevchenko scoring (of course I would have bet the same sum on Gerrard getting the last PK and giving Liverpool the game anyway).

I didn't think it was a PK either, Gattuso was kind of harrying him, but that's not a foul at the centre circle a lot of times, I was surprised he called it. And was the start of the sequence that led to the second Liverpool goal offside? Flag was up . . . oh well I don't care.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Milan coach Ancelotti says Liverpool should be given a chance to defend it's title. Does that mean Milan will give the Reds it's place next year? 'Cuz I'm almost sure the Toffees won't!

In no way does Liverpool deserve a chance to defend it's title. I'm a Liverpool fan but I am disgusted at how inconsistent their play was in the Premiership this season. The mark of a true champion is a team that doesn't concentrate only on one competition. Milan, in this respect, is a better club.

As a long time Juve supporter I couldn't have been happier to see Milan lose this time on PK. Milan fans can now feel the sting of losing the CL on kicks. In the end the old and tired Milan have won nothing this year!!! Forza Juve!!!

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Well done Liverpool for a great a deserved victory over the over rated

AC Milan side. The great this about football is you play for the 90

minutes and not stop after 45 like Milan did today.

Wow, did you watch the Champion's League this year and the English Premiership?? Eventhough I'm a Liverpool fan when it comes to the Premiership even I have to admit that Liverpool was lucky to get to the Champion's league finals and even luckier to have won. Furthermore, watching Liverpool play each weekend in the Premiership made my stomach turn, I was not happy with their play, very inconsistent, hopefully they can sort it out for next season. Looks like Milan simply burned out in the last month and a half, but to say that they are an overrated squad when they fought very hard in Serie A and also the Premiership shows a lack of respect.

Yup, the player started with the ball on the 35 yard line and ran with it towards goal. the Keeper could also do whatever the hell they wanted, and usually came charging out of the net. It required a bit more skill on the part of the player, and allowed for a little more creativity - I used to love it when keepers came charging out and a clever player would "chip" the keeper.

Its the only way I can see getting rid of this nonsense where there are non-enforced rules in place and the team that doesn't cheat the most tends to lose because they don't cheat enough - its a bit silly that we are encouraging players to cheat more, but that's the problem with the current system.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

WOW!!!!!! to all you italians out there......

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH

As another poster alluded to, I think a lot of Italian fans (those that hate AC Milan, and there are a lot of them) are happy they didn't win.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

On a side not where are all Dudek critics now? I kept saying all alone that he is a # 1 keeper, few people belived me. Those 2 stops late in ET were huge and his sphagetti legs during the PK were amazing ;) What does Liverpool do now Re-sing their CL hero or sign that 22year old from Villareal.

I'm sorry, but Dudek is still sh*te. He had a career game, no doubt (last minute saves, TWO PK stops), but if I had to list the 10 best goalies in the Premiership, he wouldn't come close to making the list (since Chelsea have at least 2, Man U arguably have 2 etc.). I'm thrilled that Dudek could come through for a team that stuck with him long after he should've been canned (which shows I'm wrong).

All credit to Liverpool, and especially Gerrard, for lighting a fire under themselves and doing what they have done.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Are you serious? That call was everything that is wrong with football. Making that call, and your support of it, is proof that diving is a smart tactic.

It was a penalty, accept it. Good call. You have to ask yourself this: Why would Gerrard dive? It was easier to score from his position then it is to score on a penalty.

Probably didn't matter anyway as L'pool surely would have scored again had the penalty not been called.

Hamilton Steeler please name me your top 10 keeprs in the EPL. I think your underestimating Dudeks talent. Sure he had a few f(u)ck ups in the EPL this year. But he has played solid overall teh media has just beaten him silly. In the CL he was solid. In the Carling Cup he was unreal ( unlucky not to bring the cup home). SO yeah list yur top 10 EPL keepers

Will Dudek accept a new contract after everything that's gone down? I would gladly apologise for slagging him, but I'm sure he couldn't give a great today. With Kirkland there, bringing in a young Spaniard will be disruptive, not to mention unnecessary. Goalkeeping was far down the list of problems in the league campaign.

BTW, did somebody up there suggest Carroll is top 10? :D:D:D:D

Anyone who thinks that gerrard dove.. look again his leg was clipped and he went down.

And to Red Star... how was liverpool lucky? They beat Chelsea, Juve, Milan... sure they didnt get up for the premiership games and had a bad run of injuries... but They were not lucky one bit. It was determination and skill that made them european champions.

Quite the match. Stuff legends are made of.

Absolutely remarkable comeback by Liverpool and it had nothing to do with Dudek. Thought he looked very dodgy to say the least and I don't think his defenders were looking especially pleased with him for much of the match.

Nice save in overtime though. But I wasn't too impressed with Milan by that time. They looked spent, disheartened and doomed to loose.

Dudek can stay at Anfield.

And I thought it looked a penalty. Got dressed up a bit there to help the sale, but looked legit to me.

The Dudek situation is tough. I'm sure he would love to stay @ Anfield, but common everyone wants to play. With liverpool set to sign a 22 year old from villareal. Dunno why ? his future is up in the air. A move to Holland ( Feyenoord) was rumoured to happen. He did play for that club before joining liverpool. Maybe some of his magic can rub off on our little canuck if he goes there. For now he is happy. Today is mothers day in Poland and he said this is one hell of a gift for his mom. Also his sons 1st communion was pushed back ( yes the entire communion was pushed back because of one kid to the gollowing week) so he will enjoy that I'm sure. He will miss the friendly vs Albania saturday but will be ready for Azeberjan in Baku on June 4th

Liverpool was lucky because they consistently got favourable bounces and reffing calls throughout their CL run. This is not to take away from their victory but certainly luck was on their side. It is certain that the two best teams in Europe were not in the final this year and in fact the final four probably only had one of the top four teams. This is due to the fact that despite the name the Champions League becomes a Cup-style competition after the group stages and is thus prone to upsets that don't happen as frequently in a league style competition. Plus certain teams have several competitions interfering with them concentrating on the CL. Neither finalist were particularly convincing throughout the competition but still managed to make the finals. Milan for one were able to score but absolutly unable to defend with a lead. Just look at the previous round against Eindhoven when noone gave PSV a chance to make up the aggregate goals in the second leg yet they almost knocked off AC. Strange an Italian team that can score but can't defend. If they wanted to really determine the top team in Europe they would hold a short league style competition at the end of the domestic seasons with all the league champions. This is not to say that it isn't a great achievement for Liverpool to win CL but only I don't think it is a wide stretch to call them the best team in Europe. I think the money made from a long competition is more attractive to UEFA though than finding a competition that will truly determine the best team.

I think Gerrard definitely dove even if contact was made (it was certainly minimal). I think what really sold it to the ref was Gattuso though. He really looked like he was trying to bring him down and in fact probably made less contact than he intended. I think Dudek is a keeper who can make amazing saves but makes some terrible errors leading to easy goals (a better version of Onstad). Every game he fumbles the ball a few times but is not punished for it every game. Thus he can have the occasional great game (like yesterday) but in league play gives up too many soft ones. I know refs rarely call offences on PKs but on one of the missed kicks Dudek was so far off the line I don't see how it was not called. The movements were great though and really psyched out the Milan kickers, remember Forrest doing this in Gold Cup. Other than the one beautiful pass for the 2nd goal Shevchenko was pretty poor yesterday. Not only that he missed the penalty but there is not way it should have gone to PKs because he should have put away the rebound after Dudeks great save instead of shooting it right at Dudek. An average striker should have scored there and Shevchenko is far above an average striker but I guess everyone has there off days.

Gerrard didn't dive. Dudek is forgiven all his sins.

Wanted to point out something that I caught during the cup presentation though, wonder if anyone else saw it. The Swedish stuffed shirt wotsisfookinname actually turned and looked at Jamie Carragher when it was time for the captain to come forward and lift the cup, and JC in turn had to point to Stevie G as if to say, "Naw mate, 'es our skipper." Just goes to show what a natural leader Carragher has become.

They were unbelievable lucky to win it all, lucky to the point of having to give it a new name..like destiny...but Carragher is the man who got them to the final, even more so than Gerrard's goals and Dudek's saves.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Not in any order: Cech, Friedel, Martyn, Lehmann, Almunia, Jaskaliinen, Sorensen, Schwarzer, James (yes, even James was better and I almost hate to admit it), Cudicini (few games but looked very confident), Van Der Saar (inconsistent sure, but not nearly as much as Dudek), Hislop (see Van Der Saar), Carroll (see Van Der Saar)... OK, I think I'm done.

I'll give you the argument that he played most of the 60 games L'Pool played, but inconsistent is still inconsistent. Liverpool has a very solid backfield, which has been watertight in the Champions League, so I can't take clean sheets and goals against on a statistical basis.

Archived