Who has the broadcast rights for the WYC in 2007?

Robert

Guest Dave

I'd rather it wasn't Rogers. I may start having nightmares about Canada making it to the final vs the US, and Rogers showing the game on tape delay after the Blue Jays game

...and then delaying the scheduled tape delay broadcast when the ball game goes into extra innings

...and then announcing the final score on one of those 30-second wrap-ups, just prior to the telecast starting

...and then bringing in Jim Rome as a last-minute replacement for Craig Forrest as colour guy!

quote:Originally posted by Dave

I'd rather it wasn't Rogers. I may start having nightmares about Canada making it to the final vs the US, and Rogers showing the game on tape delay after the Blue Jays game

...and then delaying the scheduled tape delay broadcast when the ball game goes into extra innings

...and then announcing the final score on one of those 30-second wrap-ups, just prior to the telecast starting!

Beautifully said. That perfectly sums up every Canadian soccer fan's frustration with Rogers. However, if they don't have the rights, could Rogers be sabotaging the championships? They were instrumental in getting the Argos out of the picture (no pun intended), and now that people are starting to think of playing matches at the Rogers shrine, wouldn't that be putting the Rogers' boys in a strong negociating position for the broadcast rights?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

No one has the rights yet. Sportsnet has agreements for most FIFA events through 2006 only.

Why hasn't this been done yet? The money received from broadcast rights could be applied to the construction of a stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Beautifully said. That perfectly sums up every Canadian soccer fan's frustration with Rogers. However, if they don't have the rights, could Rogers be sabotaging the championships? They were instrumental in getting the Argos out of the picture (no pun intended), and now that people are starting to think of playing matches at the Rogers shrine, wouldn't that be putting the Rogers' boys in a strong negociating position for the broadcast rights?

Don't look over your shoulder, they're watching you...

I said *don't* look!

FIFA has the broadcast rights (and sells profitably) the broadcast rights to all FIFA competitions. They have not marketed them yet, but their marketing arm will probably sell them through the same agency, to the individual broadcasters in each country/region (the German organizing committee for the World Cup next year has no responsibility for broadcasting rights, their profit will come only from their share of the sales that does not come from FIFA). CSA may get a share of this as part of the hosting agreeement, but most likely will only get a share of the ticket sales (it will not be that profitable for them).

CONCACAF has the complete broadcast rights to the Gold Cup, and they have a marketing agreement with SUM Marketing to sell the rights to the various broadcasters. The US Soccer Federation doesn't see a penny of this.

Archived