May 21 - U17 WCQ - Canada v Mexico (+ Hon-Hai) [R]

loyola

Mexican FA has the score through the game http://www.femexfut.org.mx/federacion/index.php

Basically, if Canada beats Mexico, we finish at least 2nd, with a pretty good shot at first. If we lose or tie, we're pretty much guaranteed to finish 3rd.

Day 1: Canada 0-2 Honduras and Mexico 2-0 Haiti

Day 2: Canada 5-0 Haiti and Mexico 3-0 Honduras

.......W L T P F A

Mexico 2 0 0 6 5 0 +5

Canada 1 1 0 3 5 2 +3

Hondur 1 1 0 3 2 3 -1

Haiti 0 2 0 0 0 7 -7

POTENTIAL OUTCOMES:

1. Canada loss or tie to Mexico - we are out

- unless somehow Haiti wins which I strongly doubt. A Canada tie and Haiti win Canada finishes 2nd. A Canada loss and Haiti win and there's a 3-way tie for 2nd which Canada would win on goal dif.

2. Canada & Honduras win = 3-way tie at 2-1

- so if Canada wins 1-0, Canada would be +4 (6-2), Mexico would be +4 (5-1). Canada beats Mexico on more goals scored. So Honduras going in at -1, they would need to score 5 goals to be tied with Canada +4 (7-3), and they would win on most goals. So Honduras needs to score 4 goals more than Canada does, and to win their match by 5.

TIE-BREAKERS:

1. Head-to-head between the two teams tied

2. Difference between goals for and against from ALL group matches

3. Most goals scored from all group matches

4. Drawing of lots

I think these are the kickoff times:

Haiti vs. Honduras

5:00 PDT / 6:00 MDT & local / 7:00 CDT / 8:00 EDT / 9:00 ADT / 9:30 NDT

Mexico vs. Canada

7:30 PDT / 8:30 MDT & local / 9:30 CDT / 10:30 EDT / 11:30 ADT / 12:00 NDT

quote:Originally posted by DJT

It's halftime and I THINK Haiti are winning 1-0.

That's what the Mexican football federation site has too. Good news so far.

if it finish tied

Mexico might not be so desperate for a win know that a tie or a narrow defeat will still put them thru.

a second place finish for Canada will guaranty two more competitive game at that level and that could prove beneficial if we end up going to the u-17 world cup at this level it is the amount of quality games and tutoring that is more important.

Yes, it was Honduras that scored.

The match just ended 1-1.

Here are the updated standings (sorry, I have to reorder Elias' columns, this is what makes sense to me):

W-D-L  F-A  P
Mexico 2-0-0 5-0 6
Honduras 1-1-1 3-4 4
Canada 1-0-1 5-2 3
Haiti 0-1-2 1-8 1[/code]

So we need a win against Mexico and that would put us in first place. We cannot finish second. Our 5 goals against Haiti do nothing for us.

quote:Originally posted by sj

if it finish tied

Mexico might not be so desperate for a win know that a tie or a narrow defeat will still put them thru.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Honduras finishing with 4 points, Haiti with 1 and Mexico currently on 6, they could lose by 10 goals to Canada and still qualify.

I agree that they won't be as desperate for a victory since they have qualified, but sometimes teams with no pressure on them can play better than normal. However, we should now be the more determined squad.

Edit - just remembered - the 2nd place team doesn't qualify automatically, do they? So they will still be anxious for a win, no?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

[brthe 2nd place team doesn't qualify automatically, do they? So they will still be anxious for a win, no?

I think the 2nd place finisher takes on Costa Rica in a two game series.

the 2nd place team doesn't qualify automatically, do they? So they will still be anxious for a win, no?

Correct.

Canada win:

- Canada first and qualify

- Mexico second and go to playoff versus Costa Rica

Mexico win or draw:

- Mexico first and qualify

- Honduras second and go to playoff versus Costa Rica

They might have Mexico vs. Canada on that Honduran Webcast since they are waiting on the result.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think the 2nd place finisher takes on Costa Rica in a two game series. If it's home and away would the CSA put them on the road for two????

We can't finish second.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Honduras finishing with 4 points, Haiti with 1 and Mexico currently on 6, they could lose by 10 goals to Canada and still qualify.

I agree that they won't be as desperate for a victory since they have qualified, but sometimes teams with no pressure on them can play better than normal. However, we should now be the more determined squad.

Edit - just remembered - the 2nd place team doesn't qualify automatically, do they? So they will still be anxious for a win, no?

That's right. If Mexico lost by even a single goal to Canada, they would finish behind us in the final standings (which might even end-up being third place) and have to play-off against Costa Rica. They will be gunning for a victory regardless of the Honduras vs. Haiti outcome.

It's real simple. We win, we finish 1st. We lose, we finish 3rd.

As for Mexico, a tie and they finish first, so hopefully the sit back and play for the tie and Canada can pop a fluky one in the last seconds. Or an other 5-0 win would be nice.

Well, if there's a Webcast of Canada vs. Mexico, I haven't found it (and I'm not going to randomly try every Mexican station — I have never been able to figure out which ones carry Mexican national team matches). The Honduran station ended their broadcast just before kickoff.

The Mexican federation site could be way, way behind.

Archived