End of Season Report : Jim Brennan 2005

MikeD

from Canaries fan site: http://new.pinkun.com/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=Homepage&itemid=NOED20%20May%202005%2009%3A06%3A34%3A593

Jim Brennan (11): For the second season running the Canadian was a bit-part player at Carrow Road. The fact that he has started only 15 of Norwich's 89 games since his arrival from Nottingham Forest says it all really. Only came into the reckoning when City's injury crisis started to bite – and quickly faded from view again when the situation eased.

Verdict: Brennan's versatility makes him a useful squad player but it remains to be seen if he fancies another potentially frustrating season at Carrow Road.

(MikeD adds: Norwich has begun shedding salaries now that they've dropped back down to the Championship. Brennan hasn't been listed on the chopping block in any of the articles I've seen, so hopefully this means he'll get a chance to play regularly and prove himself next season.)

• 1 month later...

Topic

shaku_bert

Winnipeg

Canada

259 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 : 15:38:02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

was assigned jersey #11 at Norwich. It probably means nothing, but I wonder if this means he'll figure more in the team this year.

note: sorry, just wanted to cut down on number of threads on same subject, and to facilitate continuity of discussion: mod

I've read a few of the Norwich messageboards (including Pinkun) over the winter and the general impression I got is similar to what Mike D. mentions above. There seems to be two main camps on Brennan:

One group feels that he is an underrated (Championship level) player, defensively dependable and capable of supplying great crosses but (for some reason) never seemed to be in any first choice plans, since Nigel Worthington took over as manager.

The second group feels that Jim is no more than a decent backup, at both left-mid and left-back but not a top-level player at either position.

The general concensus is that Jim and Worthington are simply not on the same page and a move (to another Championship team) would probably be best for him. Some discussions/rumours suggest that his old team (Nottingham Forest) is showing a lot of interest in having him back (where he had a lot of success).

Archived