Gold Cup Roster?

hottoddy7

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Considering how poorly Odd Grenland is doing, they are going to be pretty angry about losing Olivier for nearly a month.

I think we are doing a poor job in Canada getting our priorities clear. We prepared terribly for the WC qualifiers, missing maybe two friendlies and a longer camp to start, for example, and now for Gold Cup, we treat it like a friendly tournament.

Look, there is only one cup we can win as a nation on the senior men's level: the Gold Cup. Why not at least put some emphasis on it? What else is Yallop going to work hard at until 2008 qualifying begins for South Africa?

Hey Ref I agree man,, I want the best team as possible there..especially cause it's the only soccer we can look forward to for the next few years,, However I do think we as fans look forward to this a lot more then our top players like Deguz and Stalteri..(You know when a guy like Klukowski who is not a regular nat player yet decides to skip the Cup for his club that its not a huge priority for the players) I really don't think the "Gold Cup" rates too highly on their priority lists when they are trying to crack the starting lineups of Tottenham and Deportivo... I think many of us here knew this would pretty much be a "B" team right from the start and nothing has really changed from that..

Between 2006 and 2008 I think we'll need to have all our best players for every camps and games that we play before the next WCQ campaign. But for now I can live with a B team going to the GC, it will be a good showcase for some of our players and it will help our depth chart.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

Hey Ref I agree man,, I want the best team as possible there..especially cause it's the only soccer we can look forward to for the next few years,, However I do think we as fans look forward to this a lot more then our top players like Deguz and Stalteri..(You know when a guy like Klukowski who is not a regular nat player yet decides to skip the Cup for his club that its not a huge priority for the players) I really don't think the "Gold Cup" rates too highly on their priority lists when they are trying to crack the starting lineups of Tottenham and Deportivo... I think many of us here knew this would pretty much be a "B" team right from the start and nothing has really changed from that..

It is very hard for players today, with the Club vs. Country row still going. I agree with you Kelownaguy, that they need to consider their careers, but...

All our players have to learn to treat the GC as important if Canada is to mature as a soccer nation. If they only wish to show up for the glam friendlies (ie. Portugal, Germany etc.), then whats the point really?

If we dont take the GC seriously, then there is nothing else, especially if we bomb again in the next WCQ.

I agree we need to take the tournament seriously as we can, but since nobody in the entire region is sending a full strength squad its difficult to argue to our best players that they have to potentially sacrifice their starting position with their new clubs when none of the other countries (even those already out of WCQ) are likely to be doing that.

By taking it seriously we should be preparing for it properly, rather than having a half-assed preparation, and going with the best players we can without damaging their club careers where the club is at a high level.

It sucks, but that's the unfortunate nature of this tournament & its timing this year.

winning the gold cup will give us acess to the Confederation cup and the Copa America

we need those games more than any other concacaf nayion to keep our program going

we will be assured to play a minimum of 3 games in the Confederation cup and another 3 for Copa plus the financial benefit for qualifying for the Confederation cup.

those are Bonus games that we cannot afford to miss, dont have to win them but it will help us preparing for the next world cup and to that the preparation build up towards those tournaments best way to prepare even our up and coming players

the experienced players should try to help us win the whole thing

then let a mostly well prepared team with a good mixture of north American base players benefit by particiapting to the bonus tournaments to gain valuable experience.

2007's Confederation Cup is no longer happening, as FIFA decided in the winter to make it every four years (year before the World Cup) so that is not a consideration for this Gold Cup. The Copa America, agreed, would be great, especially for preparation for the WCQ semi Groups. There is no guarantee that this GC Champion will go to the next Copa America, so far scheduled for Venezuela (currently on the US access of evil list, and udergoing civil unrest), as the 2007 Gold Cup might be scheduled in January again and that winner may be the invite to the 2007 Copa America wherever or whenever it's held.

As a follower of the National team since the mid-60's, though, I'm tired of just trying to win the Gold Cup. Been there, done that, have the teeshirt, I want to participate in the WC again in my lifetime[^], everything else pales. In this light, the 2007 Gold Cup is the starting point for serious competition.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

By taking it seriously we should be preparing for it properly, rather than having a half-assed preparation, and going with the best players we can without damaging their club careers where the club is at a high level.

It sucks, but that's the unfortunate nature of this tournament & its timing this year.

Yeah, the lack of prep for WCQ was criminal. Its not much better for the GC. Its great we are atleast playing Honduras (props to the CSA for that one), but I think one more game would have been perfect, mabey against Nicaragua as the CSA debated.

Is there any word on who the opponent will be for the Canada 'B' side for the pre-GC camp?

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

what is the point in our players going to Europe to get better and then when they do, they can't play for their country

Good one.

It's genius because it's clear, to the point, and in a simple black and white term which mirrors a reality we're experiencing.

And it sucks.

World Cup's come and gone. Gold Cup's here. Crush all comers like the insignigicant specks that they are. I mean come on, what are we suppose to do? Spend the next two years weeping over the last WCQ campain? Screw that. If we can't linch Yallop then we may just as well take our angers and frustrations on some poor sucker at the pub.

Or failing that, some poor smucks on the football pitch.

Kinda hard to do pull that off without Diesel, The Guz, Radz, de Vos, and so on.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

what is the point in our players going to Europe to get better and then when they do, they can't play for their country

A better question would be what's the point of having our players playing at a high level 10 months a year in Europe if the coach doesn't call them during WCQ? I couldn't care less about this year's edition of the GC. Leave the players with their clubs and they'll be the better for it in 3 years time when we have a coach who sees fit to use them.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

:)The mind boggles.....:)

:D

It was about a civil, not criminal, matter. I'll have the money to go to Seattle and Boston if I can arrange to start my classes in August or September instead of July. Even if I can't I'll still be able to go to the opening round games, but if Canada make it to the Quarters I won't be able to stay in Boston for them.

Sooo. Who's going to Seattle for the Gold Cup?

My brother suddenly couldn't go, so it'll be me, my wife,

and my six-month old son! (He may be the youngest there.)

Looking forward to seeing Cheeta, Canso, Vancouver Fan, et.al.

Are you going Current Champ?

As for the roster, it'll be nice if Stalteri, De Guzman, and De Vos

were there. But a line up with Nsaliwa, Hume, McKenna, Grande,

De Rosario, Simpson, Hutchinson, and Sutton may not be too shabby...

We'll be competitive for sure.

Guest Jeffery S.

I can't think of a serious soccer nation that does not want to compete at full strength in one of the few competitions it could actually have a shot at winning.

Maybe what all those wanting to "build for the future" really want is for us to have to qualify for the GC like most nations of our calibre.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I can't think of a serious soccer nation that does not want to compete at full strength in one of the few competitions it could actually have a shot at winning.

Well, look at CONCACAF and the other teams...

Archived