From the Star, Another article on the Lynx:

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

ALLAN RYAN

SPORTS REPORTER

"It's still the same old story,

A fight for love and glory,

A case of do or die.

The world will always welcome loversAs time goes by."

He was born in Naples in 1950, an Italian mother, a Polish father.

She, both parents Italian, was born a couple of months earlier, on the other coast, in a tiny town called Civita.

He came to Toronto as an infant, grew up in the Spadina/Dundas area, now has his own accounting firm downtown.

Her parents emigrated when she was 7, settled in the Bloor/Ossington area, later Dufferin and Eglinton. After 25 years teaching, she's now retired. But only from teaching.

They met in '74 ("I picked him up at Attila's Cave, a bar on the airport strip," she recalled); married a year later, had a couple of kids and now share a home in the middle of Etobicoke's Thorncliffe Village.

Some 10 years back, an unexpected third party came into their lives. In the beginning, this new relationship was innocent enough, fun even. In time, though, passions took their inevitable hold. Both he and she braced themselves for potential betrayal.

Running a pro soccer team — in Toronto, yet — will sometimes set you up for that.

What the heck is all this about, exactly?

Are we supposed to love him because he was born in the town where Maradona would later achieve greatness? And please, Italian mother and Polish father? Uh, Hartrell - can Polish_Lynx_Fan please confirm that this is the least sounding Polish name ever? I'm pretty sure it's not Italian. And really, I don't care if his father is an Uzbeki golf pro and his mother's a flying squirrel. This has nothing to do with anything.

Has sports journalism sunk so low that the details of their first date are actually fit to print? Sheesh. And yes, I *am* complaining even though this is the most press the Lynx have gotten in years.

That's it. I'm changing my username (and moving to Montreal).

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

now share a home in the middle of Etobicoke's Thorncliffe Village.

OOOO, so thats where the eggs are going to go.... Who has a creapy stalker van and about 100 chickens.. im lookin at you guys in the west!

quote:
And please, Italian mother and Polish father? Uh, Hartrell - can Polish_Lynx_Fan please confirm that this is the least sounding Polish name ever?
quote:

maybe if he tried putting a ski at the end of it. Although many polish families changed their last names to get jobs.

anywho back to the topic............btw join us for the protest of the 28th

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

Rupert how come you didnt come up and say hi to the U-Sector. Its always fun to put a pace to the name on the forum

I sat with you guys and spent some time hanging out by the car park before the game too. Thought some of the chants and jokes were more entertaining than the game, to be honest!

quote:Originally posted by Rupert

I sat with you guys and spent some time hanging out by the car park before the game too. Thought some of the chants and jokes were more entertaining than the game, to be honest!

Good to hear you made it back to England safe and sound! Yes, the chants were probably the best part of the game, and with the Lynx now just having traded their leading scorer from the last two season & probably best player, the chants and jokes are pretty well all we have to look forward to for the Lynx season. That, and seeing if Wyn Belotte can turn his career around, I suppose.

Too bad about the half-time band however.........

quote:Originally posted by Rupert

Good to hear you made it back to England safe and sound! Yes, the chants were probably the best part of the game, and with the Lynx now just having traded their leading scorer from the last two season & probably best player, the chants and jokes are pretty well all we have to look forward to for the Lynx season. That, and seeing if Wyn Belotte can turn his career around, I suppose.

Too bad about the half-time band however.........

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

And please, Italian mother and Polish father? Uh, Hartrell - can Polish_Lynx_Fan please confirm that this is the least sounding Polish name ever?

maybe if he tried putting a ski at the end of it. Although many polish families changed their last names to get jobs.

anywho back to the topic............btw join us for the protest of the 28th

Polish Lynx Fan:

Protest on the 28th? Do the Ultras have anything in mind?

Right now we are in talks on what to do, im sure there will be banners, were going to dress in black and show up late. Other then that we arnt too sure. Its a shame we have to do somthing like this. I hope the players understand why we are doing this and that it is not towards them.

For anyone interesting in helping or showing up.. checkout the ultras website www.torontoultras.net

and its in the forums. This isnt a ploy to get you to join the ultras this is just for everyone in toronto who is fed up of this garbage.

quote:Originally posted by François

What's happening with Edgar Bartolomeu?

He was in the stands last Sunday.

Edgar can't play until the signing deadline, which is either June 01 or July 01, I can't remember.

Metro:

Yes a protest is in the works. A banener that reads "Man with low ambitions leave behind no traditions as well as WHY ALI ? we are planning to get there early hang up our flags but cover themm in black ( garbage bags taped together) then go outsdie the stadium and march in @ the 5th minute mark. Singing anti ownership songs and besically how we are fed up with everything. Also we encourage anyone to join us and wear black. ALSO BY NO MEANS IS THIS A VIOLENT PROTEST !!!! I dont wish to break anyhting ( that cost $$$ and will only hurt the players) I also dont with to hurt anyone because that looks bad on teh U-SECTOR. I just want to voice our concer along with others. I'm proud to be a Lynx fan, and I demand a better product, thats all a fan can ask for. Join us May 28th!!!!!

I checked out your U-Sector website, and I think it looks good. There are clubs much bigger than the Lynx that dont have fansites as nice as Toronto Ultras. As a friendly suggestion, why not post a section with some of your favorite chants?

All the best withnyour protest, dedicated guys like you really deserve more regard from management.

Keeping the early 80's chant theme going for the protest chants, I was thinking of a new chant to the tune of Styx's 1981 hit "Too Much Time on My Hands", by changing it to "Not Enough Fans in the Stands"

"Is it any wonder we're in the basement?

Is it any wonder our fans our scarce?

Is it any wonder we don't have enough [*clap*clap*] fans in the Stands

Yes the owners are a travesty

We don't enough [*clap*clap*] fans in the stands

Oh its hard to believe such a calamity

Not enough [*clap*clap*] fans in the stands

And its taking way, taking away soccer from the land

{Not enough fans in the stands!)"

Trust me boys, the Over-30 Ultras will get this one.

And of course if we actually take the lead in a game, we can roll out the theme tune to the Greatest American Hero

"Believe it or not, we're winning this game!

We never thought we could feel such glee!

Winning this game without our best players,

Who could it be? Believe it or not, its our team!"

Toronto could turn to be another Colorado

they had a good team in the Colorado Foxes of the A-league that was drawing decent crowds enough to keep them afloat

then came MLS with their Colorado Rapids that not only killed the Foxes but pro soccer in the Colorado sport scenes.

what happen to the Colorado soccer market

if it was not for the rapids Colorado would still have the foxes around

now they go nothing at least you guy still have the lynx to support if you still want to.

as far as I am concern the lynx has done well as far as players developments far better than Montreal and Vancouver and that is where most of the press emphasis should be.

quote:Originally posted by sj

Toronto could turn to be another Colorado

they had a good team in the Colorado Foxes of the A-league that was drawing decent crowds enough to keep them afloat

then came MLS with their Colorado Rapids that not only killed the Foxes but pro soccer in the Colorado sport scenes.

what happen to the Colorado soccer market

if it was not for the rapids Colorado would still have the foxes around

now they go nothing at least you guy still have the lynx to support if you still want to.

as far as I am concern the lynx has done well as far as players developments far better than Montreal and Vancouver and that is where most of the press emphasis should be.

The Lynx are a losing operation both on and off the field. They may

have brought a lomg a few good players in theie time but not enough

to build a winning franchise. The soccer community in Toronto and

Ontario just don't care for the Lynx and that won't change anytime soon. MLS would put fannies in the seats in Toronto, The a-league

aka USL will never have the respect of the soccer fans here.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I could be mixing two tales, but isn't MLSE redeveloping the land immediately south of the ACC? Someone made mention about the size of a small ground there... either that, or I speculated it all by my lonesome.

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

I could be mixing two tales, but isn't MLSE redeveloping the land immediately south of the ACC? Someone made mention about the size of a small ground there... either that, or I speculated it all by my lonesome.

Condo's and shopping.

db

Archived