Toronto Sun: York stadium's missing Lynx

Metro

York stadium's missing Lynx

USL soccer club glad that deal with Argonauts fell through

By MIKE KOREEN -- Toronto Sun

Toronto Lynx co-owner Bruno Hartrell would like to thank York University for abandoning plans last week to build a 20,000-seat outdoor stadium.

"It helps us a lot. Period," Hartrell said.

At least Hartrell is hoping it will help his United Soccer League First Division team.

A York spokesman said yesterday the university's new master plan includes building a stadium that seats between 5,000 and 7,000. When that happens depends in part on the TTC extending its subway line to York, as the university hopes, which would force the school to tear down the current 3,000-seat stadium.

But a revised stadium is ideal for Hartrell, who might have had to play second fiddle to a Major League Soccer team operated by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. in the proposed bigger venue at York.

"As much as we're struggling, a new facility will help us a lot," said Hartrell, whose team plays at cramped Etobicoke Centennial Stadium. "We'll double our fan base to 6,000 a game. I'm positive.

"Up to two years ago we were talking with York (about a smaller stadium), but then the Argos came into the picture and we were on the back burner. Now, I guess we're on the front."

Hartrell said he has a European-based financial services company interested in sponsoring the stadium if the Lynx are the primary soccer tenant.

"There would be rights fees of $300,000 to $500,000 a year for 10 years," Hartrell said. "If we had the right situation, we (the Lynx) have a certain amount of our own money. If we're talking $1 million or $2 million, I think we've got that. But we have to be exclusive for pro soccer."

Bruno Hartrell is dreaming. He thinks by moving into a 7000 seater he will be successful? What a loser. He will still be pulling in 1200 people even in a 7000 seater because he is a small-minded operator who can't run a soccer team. He has the typical negative attitude that plagues much of Canadian soccer. No WYC in Toronto? Fine if thats what it takes to keep out the MLS, lol. If he is so against the US leagues why doesn't he pull out of the USL and join the CPSL? Because he is not concerned with whats best for Toronto and Canada, only whats best for his shambolic team. Sorry Bruno, you won't be getting any support from me.

What this means is that Toronto has now lost all hopes of getting an MLS franchise. The Hatrells are now happy (breathing a sigh of relief) since Toronto MLS would have meant the end of the Hatrells in the Toronto soccer scene. The Hatrells are also celebrating that the CSA have failed in their attempts of running them out of business. If I was Bruno, I would rub it in Kevan Pipes face, as it seems that he is the big loser in all this.

Luis, you wish MLS is dead. MLSE or Rogers could still turn around and build their own stadium. Montreal is doing one for 15 million, a barebones facility could still be put up. CSA isn't running the Lynx out of business, they are doing theat themselves, they're hopeless. Keep praying for the Lynx brother, cuz they will always bre struggling.

Wow! This guy is just a complete idiot.

So this "European-based financial services" company would sponsor division 2 (Lynx) but not division 1 (MLS)? And if they are so interested, why don't they sponsor the Lynx now?

quote:"If we had the right situation, we (the Lynx) have a certain amount of our own money. If we're talking $1 million or $2 million, I think we've got that. But we have to be exclusive for pro soccer."

HAHAHAHA! He should headline Yuk Yuks. So then why doesn't he spend it now on a couple players so they could maybe win 1 or 2 games and watch the crowds come. And pay for 1 or 2 half-decent tv broadcasts so people can actually know the team exists.

The Lynx have received more press in the last month than they have in the last 10 years. And all they do is bitch and complain, instead of actually promoting the team.

Does B. Hartrell worship at the altar of the following mantra?:

"An open mouth provides the most accommodating of places for an unused foot"

I am now convinced that B. Hartrell is a sadist. I began to have my suspicions after watching his brand of 'soccertainment' for a few years. But now I am convinced as it has been confirmed in the article in which the only way for the Lynx to reach any degree of prosperity is through the 'benefit' of having a soccer friendly stadium, a stadium I might add that would have generated alot of good will in the soccer loving community in Toronto, scuttled so that his majesticly perverse 'soccertainment vision' can continue to thrive. He truly enjoys the pain of others to derive satisfaction, the pain of the loss of the stadium is now his gain.

Well, this article just about says it all, doesn't it? Or would do, if I could understand what the hell he's talking about. How can a University stadium be "exclusive for pro soccer" - the University can't use the stadium then? And why would a European financial company care that the Lynx are the primary soccer tenant - what would be in it for them, a chance to nab some more Brazilian lounge lizards?

Not that this thing will be built anytime soon.........

quote:Originally posted by Metro

"We'll double our fan base to 6,000 a game. I'm positive."

Also, it's rather difficult, and some might say impossible, to double your fan-base to 6000 when its not even at 3000 to begin with.

It's not clear to me, but is Hartrell suggesting that if York builds the smaller stadium, the Lynx would somehow be in position to sell the naming rights? And this is a part of what the Lynx would ante up as their portion to help get the stadium built? Is it common for naming rights to be sold for university stadia or arenas and, if so, why would the university not do this themselves? Also, $300-500k a year for 10 years sounds very optimistic for naming rights on a small stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

What this means is that Toronto has now lost all hopes of getting an MLS franchise. The Hatrells are now happy (breathing a sigh of relief) since Toronto MLS would have meant the end of the Hatrells in the Toronto soccer scene. The Hatrells are also celebrating that the CSA have failed in their attempts of running them out of business. If I was Bruno, I would rub it in Kevan Pipes face, as it seems that he is the big loser in all this.

Correction Luis. We are the big losers in all of this.

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

It's not clear to me, but is Hartrell suggesting that if York builds the smaller stadium, the Lynx would somehow be in position to sell the naming rights? And this is a part of what the Lynx would ante up as their portion to help get the stadium built? Is it common for naming rights to be sold for university stadia or arenas and, if so, why would the university not do this themselves? Also, $300-500k a year for 10 years sounds very optimistic for naming rights on a small stadium.

Yeah, I had all of these questions as well. None of the article makes sense.

I'd love to see every team in the USLD1 improve their attendance, but just moving to a new stadium doesn't necessarily mean large numbers. Just ask the Seattle Sounders.

In 2002, their last season at Memorial Stadium (Centennial is a palace compared to Memorial), they averaged 2,439 (if you don't include the 25K opener at Seahawks Stadium, which was the first event at the new stadium).

Before the move, the Sounders GM predicted large crowds (8 to 10 thousand, if I remember correctly) when they moved to Seahawks Stadium. Since they moved to the new stadium, I think their largest crowd ever was 7,500 for a US Open Cup game, just over 6,000 for a regular season game.

Averages since they've gone to Seahawks Stadium full time:

2003: 3,357

2004: 2,874

2005 (to date): 3,166

This is a modern stadium in downtown Seattle, with ample parking, public transportation, and the team gets good media coverage, and was in the title game last year.

"If you build it, they will come" just doesn't work anymore. The team still needs a combination of good press coverage, marketing, grass roots efforts to spread the word, and success on the field. And even then, it still may not bring in the big crowds.

A shiny new stadium only helps a bit with initial curiousity, but once the covers come off the seats, it doesn't help anymore.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

What a clown.... Next time i see him at the lynx game he will get a big ol BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo from us,

What a selfish bastard

Problem is he doesn't care what you, the Ultras or any of the actual soccer fans who go to Lynx games think. He's already stated in the past that he doesn't care about the Toronto soccer fan and prefers to promote his team to the kids.

quote:

USL soccer club glad that deal with Argonauts fell through

By MIKE KOREEN -- Toronto Sun

Toronto Lynx co-owner Bruno Hartrell would like to thank York University for abandoning plans last week to build a 20,000-seat outdoor stadium.

"It helps us a lot. Period," Hartrell said.

At least Hartrell is hoping it will help his United Soccer League First Division team.

A York spokesman said yesterday the university's new master plan includes building a stadium that seats between 5,000 and 7,000. When that happens depends in part on the TTC extending its subway line to York, as the university hopes, which would force the school to tear down the current 3,000-seat stadium.

But a revised stadium is ideal for Hartrell, who might have had to play second fiddle to a Major League Soccer team operated by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. in the proposed bigger venue at York.

"As much as we're struggling, a new facility will help us a lot," said Hartrell, whose team plays at cramped Etobicoke Centennial Stadium. "We'll double our fan base to 6,000 a game. I'm positive.

"Up to two years ago we were talking with York (about a smaller stadium), but then the Argos came into the picture and we were on the back burner. Now, I guess we're on the front."

Hartrell said he has a European-based financial services company interested in sponsoring the stadium if the Lynx are the primary soccer tenant.

"There would be rights fees of $300,000 to $500,000 a year for 10 years," Hartrell said. "If we had the right situation, we (the Lynx) have a certain amount of our own money. If we're talking $1 million or $2 million, I think we've got that. But we have to be exclusive for pro soccer."

Don't do drugs, kids. Stay in school.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Question, What would make you people more happy?

a)No professional soccer team in Cow Town?

b)A "professional soccer team" run on a shoe string budget market towards kids

Frankly both options above are what exist currently in Toronto.

The real option we want is a professional soccer team, period.

No doubt that York would be able to cover most, if not all, costs just on what they orginally on the table for stadium.

As for nming rights, there are some sponsors on the arenas of US College teams (ie. US Celluar Arena at Marquette). A stadium that York might be planning could garner that much money in a deal given the stadium size. The Lynx may end up helping get a company name on the site.

TD Waterhouse Stadium at Western (London) and York U's Beatrice Ice Gardens are the only two Canadian university corporate-named stadiums that come to mind. I'm not sure what the corporations paid, but $300-$500K is high. Air Canada only pays $2-million a year for the ACC for about 1 000x more exposure than any university stadia would offer.

Besides, any company that sponsors a university project, wants to get at the university students, not the Lynx.

quote:Originally posted by Allison A

A shiny new stadium only helps a bit with initial curiousity, but once the covers come off the seats, it doesn't help anymore.

Yeah, it's not as if they are going from some crappy park into the SkyDome. They're going from one little park into an other little park.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Can anyone who went to the weekend game or watched it on tv tell me roughly what proportion of kids were actually there? Where is the promotion being done?

I don't know, but it was maybe 30% kids or something. Kids meaning like 8 year olds. The problem is not the kids, it's that most of them don't want to be there. They get youth clubs to come and be ballboys (is that what they are called?) and play mini-soccer at the half (which was more exciting then the real game) and most of them don't care (some of them left after their half-time game). And to make it worse, the parents show up who have no clue, nor do they want to be there, and it takes a lot of deep breathing to resist turning around and popping someone when they keep making stupid comments about everything.

"Where is the promotion being done?" Nowhere. That's the problem.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Question, What would make you people more happy?

a)No professional soccer team in Cow Town?

b)A "professional soccer team" run on a shoe string budget market towards kids

First of all, it's Hog Town. [:P] And having the current Lynx is like having no pro team. The Lynx is really no better than any of the CPSL teams we have. All they do is prevent somebody else who might be interested in giving pro soccer a shot.

As far as soccer in Toronto is concerned, the lynx cannot be the first choice team. They will have to settle for an existence similar to Marlies with the Leafs....the secondary team to the main pro draw. Unless they are going to spend big $ and turn the Lynx an MLS team, they wont be the main draw and the Hartrells need to accept that. Great numbers of soccer fans in the GTA have already reached this conclusion.

Maybe the Lynx should downgrade to PDL and stock the team with players from their soccer youth academy teams after they go through their partnership with the new CPSL Oakville team.

Lose less money that way, not paying the players. Have kids watch the game that most wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the calibre anyway.

Archived