Vaughan Mayor Wants Soccer Stadium

Many of those facilities are not even worthy of mention. That location at Dixie and Derry where you have Victoria stadium is really just field with a few small benches ( If that). You cannot possibly make someone pay to watch something there. Many of the others are the same.

There is no soccer facility currently at Downsview. Unless you want ti count the indoor dome that used for pick up futsal games .

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Many of those facilities are not even worthy of mention.

Well, the original point of the map was to identify where soccer is/can be played in Toronto at any level from the CPSL upwards together with the locations being considered for a new stadium (I included one additional location, Monarch Park, because Jarrek had it on his soccer stadia list, even though I don't know anything about it). Some of those places no longer host even CPSL games, but they once did and still can. Whether these are "worthy of mention" depends on your purpose (mine wasn't to list only places where "high level" soccer is/can be played). I think it's nice to have all these places listed together like this.

Some of these places are also sometimes used for special events. For example, the U19 women played a friendly against Italy at Dufferin District Park in 2002.

Admittedly, the term "stadium" is inappropriate for most of these places. People not familiar with them should note that for the most part we're talking about only a field with bleachers. This was more clear when Jarrek's stadia list with seating capacities was still available on the site.

quote:That location at Dixie and Derry where you have Victoria stadium is really just field with a few small benches ( If that). You cannot possibly make someone pay to watch something there. Many of the others are the same.
It's not at Dixie and Derry (I don't know what's there that you are thinking of), it's at Steeles and Bramalea Rd. It's the home of the CPSL's Brampton Stallions (formerly Hitmen) and they do charge fans a few dollars as they do throughout the CPSL (all sites are enclosed so they can do this). From what I've seen on TV, it's a nice, cozy little place for CPSL-type games.

quote:There is no soccer facility currently at Downsview. Unless you want ti count the indoor dome that used for pick up futsal games .
I don't know if you're referring to my map, but it's not supposed to suggest otherwise. The blue dots, except for the ones at York U and the OSA Soccer Centre, aren't places where soccer is played, only places that were considered for a new stadium.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

and I think the entire Docklands area is a mess that requires much more redevelopment beyond a small stadium if you expect anyone to want to visit it (they always want to use it for the Olympics).

I read that and I think of the future Stade Saputo in Montréal. The difference is that the city already has a plan to revitalize the area.

The Dixie/Derry site is at a temple (mosque?). The 'stadium' there actually looks like it could fit a couple of thousand, if people don't mind sitting on crumbling concrete benches overlooking a slanted field.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The Dixie/Derry site is at a temple (mosque?). The 'stadium' there actually looks like it could fit a couple of thousand, if people don't mind sitting on crumbling concrete benches overlooking a slanted field.

Sounds like it has the makings to host a Brazil vs. Holland final in 2007.:)

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Nah, I was thinks the North east corner of Dixie and derry. The Mosque-like building is on the North west corner area. I was not aware that there were soccer fields there.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Nah, I was thinks the North east corner of Dixie and derry. The Mosque-like building is on the North west corner area. I was not aware that there were soccer fields there.

I believe the stadium belongs to that Mosque. It's right next to it, behind the parking lot.

Ok, just to clear up things a bit it's not a Mosque, but a Khalsa Temple. The Khalsa grounds are on the north west corner of Dixie and Derry. The stadium has a rough capacity of around 3,000 people but it is in no position to host soccer games, let alone CPSL matches. It looks like it was built as a temporary solution as most of the benches are supported by an earthwork mound.

It's not on the map by DJT, Freekick was confusing it with Bramptons Victoria Stadium.

The most ideal location for a stadium in Toronto are the Downsview Grounds. The area is serviced by the 401/Allen road, the TTC and you have a region that's begging to be revitalized. The land is much less expensive than that of the portlands as well. It would be ideal to have a stadium downtown, just not sure if it would be effective cost wise.

If Montreal can put up a stadium for $15million, we should be able to do something for $30.

Archived