Montreal Impact in MLS?

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

He sees his team as an equal to MLS (in fact Grande, Gervais & Sutton came back to Montreal signing for what I understood to be similar money to what they would make in MLS)

Landon Donovan will be making close to 1 million a year with his new contract with Galaxy FC. Unless any of those players are making that type of money playin for the Impact that is not MLS money....at all.

Joes Saputo talks too damn much and tries to act tough in front of the media...it's quite pathetic. He isn't even a SPEC on MLS's radar.

quote:Originally posted by Sempuukyaku

Landon Donovan will be making close to 1 million a year with his new contract with Galaxy FC. Unless any of those players are making that type of money playin for the Impact that is not MLS money....at all.

Joes Saputo talks too damn much and tries to act tough in front of the media...it's quite pathetic. He isn't even a SPEC on MLS's radar.

Read it again. If you stand by your Donovan statement, read it yet again. Keep reading it until the light comes. Here is a hint: Carlos Ruiz, $32,000. Here is another: "similar money to what they</u> would make in MLS".

Montreal would not finish last in MLS. They might not make the playoffs, but they wouldn't finish last. Goes for last year too, and the year before that.

One of the points I was trying to make from all this, is that, yes, the Impact could benefit from being in the MLS, but I think the MLS would also benefit a great deal from having a stong organization (Impact) with a large fan base north of the border.

The MLS formula of hving only American teams doesn't seem to be working, their attendance is dipping.

quote:Originally posted by Royal Montreal FC

One of the points I was trying to make from all this, is that, yes, the Impact could benefit from being in the MLS, but I think the MLS would also benefit a great deal from having a stong organization (Impact) with a large fan base north of the border.

The MLS formula of hving only American teams doesn't seem to be working, their attendance is dipping.

[8)]

Attendance has been off THIS YEAR. Last year saw the 3rd highest league attendance average in history, up 4% from 2003. With a $150 million Adidas contract, two new teams, 2 stadiums up with 2 in construction and 1 about to start this year (Colorado), we're doing just fine.

Anyways, about Saputo. He has absolutely no desire to be in MLS WHATSOEVER. Do I need to drop an anvil on your head to get that through to you? He has no desire to be in MLS. And quite frankly I have no desire to have someone like that investing in MLS either...so that's a done issue.

If Kerfoot is focused on Vancouver, great for him. I don't want him in MLS either. We have MLSE, Andrew Murstein, and Televisa all wanting a piece of the action and that is fine with me. We don't need the others. Montreal/Vancouver need to do their own thing, while we do ours.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

That article is a year old, though, and it's been confirmed that Donovan is now making $900k per season with the Galaxy.

And there were rumblings that Ruiz's contract got 're-worked' to keep him in MLS.

Yeah, but it doesn't make the article un-true. The pay structure is still pretty similar with some bigger salaries for the stars and minimum creeping up each year.

Archived