Montreal Impact in MLS?

News is going around that Joey Saputo is interedted in a long term project of bringing in a MLS franchise to Montreal. I have spoke to some Saputo sources who have told me that Joey wanted to announce the New Stadium in Montreal, before the announcement that the York stadium project in T.O. was doomed for maximum exposure.

Having said that I belive that Joey is currently happy with the team being in the USL division 1 fold, with the hope that MLS will change its ownership status for teams to be run like any other pro soccer league.

The Saputo family are very smart people, that recognize that the current MLS ownership plan, will not provide them with the necessary latitude that is needed to running the club in the Montreal market.

Thry are waiting for the MLS to give ownership groups the needed leeway to rune the clubs as they see fit.

****SPECULATION******

My own personal guess would lead me to believe that Saputo is positioning himself to have the highest level of professional soccer available to Montreal fans, when he can resolve the current restrictive ownership deal.

The Montreal Impact under The saputo umbrella have been, and will continue to be run as a first rate orginization, offering Montreal fans a high level of professional soccer. My guess is that MLS will want to join the bandwagon, now that the Toronto is Stadium difficient.

Saputo often said that he preferred to invest 10M$ in soccer in Quebec (i.e. the new stadium) than giving it for MLS.

His plans are very smart : growing step by step

I think now, they'll concentrate their energy at building the new stadium

Then, at filling it

After... we will see... but a lot can happen until that moment

Since the stadium is the key element in joining the MLS (with of course a down payment of 10$ million), Montreal is on the right track. But I have to agree, Saputo is going step by step while giving Montreal fans the best soccer available at the moment.

quote:Originally posted by François

Since the stadium is the key element in joining the MLS (with of course a down payment of 10$ million), Montreal is on the right track. But I have to agree, Saputo is going step by step while giving Montreal fans the best soccer available at the moment.

Kudos to the Saputo Group but wouldn't both Toronto and Vancouver afford to field better teams if their provincial governments were kicking in $500K a year to "make a statement". That's probably half the cost to run the team for the year. It certainly goes a long way in the field they're playing in.

Buying better players, create a winning franchise, filling the stands all go hand in hand.

quote:Originally posted by François

Kudos to the Saputo Group but wouldn't both Toronto and Vancouver afford to field better teams if their provincial governments were kicking in $500K a year to "make a statement". That's probably half the cost to run the team for the year. It certainly goes a long way in the field they're playing in.

Buying better players, create a winning franchise, filling the stands all go hand in hand.

quote:Originally posted by Bangoutoforder

Why doesn't he work with ownership in other Canadian cities and try to develop a Canadian league rather than waiting for an existing league in another country to accomodate him?

Owners in other Canadian cities seem to be kinda shady. I'd like there to be a Canadian league too. It seems MLS owners are much more willing to put money where their mouths are. (mind you, they have a lot more money to eat) Canadian owners are small potatoes. Kerfoot is the only one who seems on par with the Saputo group. Even though MLS loses big money, they've stuck to their guns and you've gotta respect them for that. The CSL folded when the going got tough.

Bangoutoforder : I don't think he's waiting for MLS to do so and so

Saputo is the leader of the competition/reform or I don't know which group in the USL (that's the group who make all the changes this year) and I think his first goal now (regarding competitions) is to help USL to have a better level and better teams

If there's no evolution, he could change his mind but I think he'll try first, complain after...

For the 500k : it's indeed a difference between Montreal and Vancouver

But Toronto should do as well as Vancouver at least...

I going to wait until the stadium actually gets built. 15 million is nothing compared to what it's really going to cost to build. Look around, nothing that cheap has been built since 1956. And considering just a few years ago the government had to bail the team out, I'll wait to I see it to believe it.

The question is? will the MLS be around in 3 years. Attendance so far this is year is terrible. And lets not forget that Montreal drew 2500 a few years ago as well.

Staying in USL would be a smart move until the PQ bails out the Saputo stadium in 2 years, due to massive cost overuns, a-la every major construction project in Quebec from Airports to stadiums to swimming dive towers.

The 2,000 figure was an anomaly. The Impact, when run properly, has always attracted around 4,000.

The government does NOT give the team $500k a year, but rather $500k over 3 years.

However, I do agree that $15m for an entire complex seems VERY low. Wait and see.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

The question is? will the MLS be around in 3 years.

[8)]

Even with attendances down right now (weather has been absolutely atrocious down here in most of the MLS cities...you do realize that, right?), MLS is still as of right now averaging around 14,750 a game.

Anyways, Saputo has made it CRYSTAL CLEAR that he has no desire to be in MLS and in fact sees USL div 1 as a competitor to MLS. He won't be investing in our league probably ever and that's something I welcome.

I'd love to see Kerfoot in MLS...however.

Kerfoot I am told on impeccable authority has looked at MLS but like Saputo is uneasy with the current ownership arrangement. Whitecaps will likely remain independently owned within USLD1 for the foreseeable future, developing its base of youth and reserve teams. The club believes with a new downtown stadium it could build attendance at least equivalent to MLS averages (which have been in decline I gather).

I would rather see Canada form a REAL open cup competition with the winner getting a chance at qualification for a CONCACAF club competition over seeing a Canadian team in MLS. This competition needs to happen prior to a Canadian 1st tier league.

quote:Originally posted by b7germany

I would rather see Canada form a REAL open cup competition with the winner getting a chance at qualification for a CONCACAF club competition over seeing a Canadian team in MLS. This competition needs to happen prior to a Canadian 1st tier league.

One does not exclude the other. However, an Open Cup is under the responsibility of the CSA and a pro league under private interests.

The news about the Montreal Impact and the new Saputo Stadium just keeps getting better.

According to RDS sports, Joey Saputo is lobying to host more games including the finals of the tournament in 2007. To do so, he is planning to expand the stadiums capacity to 21,000 seats.

My personal opinion if this happens is that the MLS would be hard-pressed not to expand the league into this city, which is now thriving for soccer.

The CSA and Federal government should realize this, and invest the funds in Montreal, instead on Toronto. Especially now that the project in TO is officially dead. Montreal is Canada's soccer capital, by far. The MLS would benefit from having an organization in this city. There is no doubt that attendance would be tops in the league.

The RDS article is attached....

Joey Saputo Mardi 17 mai 2005 - (RDS) - Le Championnat du monde junior de 2007 aura lieu au Canada et il semble maintenant que Montréal accueillera plus de matchs que prévu. Le président de l'Impact, Joey Saputo, tente même d'attirer la finale dans la métropole.

Au début du mois, Montréal a été sélectionnée par l'Association canadienne de soccer pour faire partie des villes qui accueilleront des matchs lors du Mondial junior en 2007. Toronto et Edmonton devaient cependant être les deux endroits qui présenteraient le plus de rencontres, mais les plans ont changé. D'abord, parce qu'un projet de stade de 20 000 places à Toronto vient de tomber à l'eau. C'est tout le contraire à Montréal, alors que le Stade Saputo sera prêt pour 2007. Joey Saputo veut maintenant que Montréal prenne la place que Toronto devait avoir dans ce Mondial.

"On doit commencer la construction, ou les plans de la construction, très bientôt. Avant de commencer les plans, je veux avoir une certaine assurance que Montréal puisse être considérée comme une ville qui pourrait recevoir la finale", a indiqué Saputo.

Mais, pour accueillir la finale, le Stade Saputo devrait contenir plus des 13 500 sièges initialement prévus.

Joey Saputo propose d'augmenter la capacité du stade à 21 000 places, surtout avec des gradins temporaires, mais il veut être certain de ne pas modifier les plans de construction pour rien.

"Nous sommes déjà presque assurés de présenter la demi-finale. Peut-être le match de troisième place. On serait déjà heureux avec ça. C'est sûr que si on augmente notre capacité, c'est pour accueillir la finale", a laissé entendre Saputo.

"L'augmentation de la popularité du sport et des foules à Montréal, combinée à la construction du nouveau stade, font en sorte que Montréal est devenue la capitale du soccer au Canada. Je pense qu'on mérite les finales", a indiqué l'entraîneur de l'Impact, Nick DeSantis.

Joey Saputo espère avoir une réponse de l'Association canadienne au cours des prochaines semaines. Il a besoin d'une confirmation pour mettre de l'avant les plans de construction du Stade Saputo. Les travaux pourraient commencer dès le mois d'août.

One more time, Joey Saputo's plan is not to jump to the MLS at this time. We have to build the stadium first. Yes, he wants more U20 world cup games for this city but we have to get the stadium in place first and then we'll see what happens with the USL. I mean if ever we lose two more teams and the Rhinos jump to MLS then, we won't have a choice and look to move to the MLS.

I haven't been following this situation too closely, but when was the last time Saputo said no to the MLS? Was it 2 or 3 years ago? Or has it been recently?

The USL Div 1 is down to 12 teams. Maybe the MLS looks more enticing then it did 3 years ago. Maybe Saputo is worried about the long term viability of the USL. Situations can change, and buisnesses will often have to change their outlook to cope with these changes.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I haven't been following this situation too closely, but when was the last time Saputo said no to the MLS? Was it 2 or 3 years ago? Or has it been recently?

The USL Div 1 is down to 12 teams. Maybe the MLS looks more enticing then it did 3 years ago. Maybe Saputo is worried about the long term viability of the USL. Situations can change, and buisnesses will often have to change their outlook to cope with these changes.

About 2 to 3 years ago he said clearly that he doesn't like the business plan of the MLS. Just last month when asked where he would see the Impact in 5 years he answered: averaging 13,000 fans a game in the USL at Saputo Stadium. Instead of paying 10 Million to get a MLS team, he wants to put that money and give something back to Montreal and build a stadium and soccer complex.

I have to agree with you that depending on what happens with the USL, he might have to reconsider and move to the MLS one day.

Already, we see problems in VB this season and at this point, we can't lose more teams.

In an interview on The Score two weeks ago, regarding his Stadium announcement, Saputo emphatically said he has no interest in MLS the way it is presently structured. He sees his team as an equal to MLS (in fact Grande, Gervais & Sutton came back to Montreal signing for what I understood to be similar money to what they would make in MLS) and would not pay a 10 million franchise fee. He said he would rather put the money into his team and Quebec Soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Saputo often said that he preferred to invest 10M$ in soccer in Quebec (i.e. the new stadium) than giving it for MLS.

His plans are very smart : growing step by step

I think now, they'll concentrate their energy at building the new stadium

Then, at filling it

After... we will see... but a lot can happen until that moment

Much the same attitude and approach as the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Archived