CP Reporting York U. Out Of Stadium Project

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The Ontario Soccer Centre is not a viable location for a 20,000 seat stadium. The location could barely handle the 500 or so people who attended the Canada-Scotland U-16 games. As far as space for expansion, to bulid stands and to create more parking would involve cutting down part of the forest to the east, and loosing the 4 or so extra pitches. Plus, Hwy 7 and Martingrove Rd. are hardly easily accessable by public transit, unless you like waiting 1/2 an hour for busses.

Put a stadium back at the exhibition grounds, that where it should have been in the first place. Plenty of public transit,parking,etc.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DJT

This argument is the complete opposite of "it's all the CSA's fault" and I think it's just as silly. None of those organizations need a stadium with 20,000+ seats, so why should they be blamed? Only the Argos, CSA and potential MLS owners (MLSE?) could use such a stadium. The Argos found one that suited them (sure, they didn't go about it in a very nice way, but they looked after their own interests without breaking any laws and that's the way business works). Now it's up to the CSA and potential MLS owners to find one — it's ironic that neither can or are willing to put their own money into it, yet everyone else gets blamed.

Good objective point, Danny. What's the latest news coming from MLSE, or is there any? For a group who recently appeared to be very serious and intent on landing an MLS team in Toronto for the 2007 season, I didn't hear anything from their camp during last week's chaos. Do they, or don't they? There is $35M in funding available for the purpose of building a stadium, which means they could basically build a regulation sized MLS stadium for half price. This would make a much easier deal to broker for the CSA, as there would be no need to involve a CFL team, or a university (unless that is the only way to obtain the land to build the bloody thing on). Is the CSA capable of brokering a deal to fruition between the Federal and Ontario governments, MLSE and the MLS? With Kevan Pipe in charge, and based on his track record, you be the judge.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

There is $35M in funding available for the purpose of building a stadium, which means they could basically build a regulation sized MLS stadium for half price.

Do you really think a minority government that is already involved in a scandal over misuse of public money is going to hand over $35 million to a private corporation to help it land a (third) professional sports team?

A high-profile international amateur sporting event and a university athletic facility is one thing. Its quite another thing to give millions of taxpayers' dollars to subsidise MLSE. I can just imagine what the CPC-BQ will have to say about that!

Guest HamiltonSteelers

If a decent stadium can be built for $35 million, why doesn't the CSA act like they have a spine and just BUILD one. If it needs a flashy screen and the rest of the amenities, call out some sponsors. I'd rather see ANY ground in Toronto rather than the options available now.

Does everything have to be located right downtown? Surely there are other regions would are trying not to drool over themselves at the thought of a new sports facility in their area. If most/all of the MLS new grounds are nowhere near the downtowns of the cities that they play in, why should Toronto be any different? Brampton for MLS! North York for MLS! East York for MLS!

Pillow fight.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Do you really think a minority government that is already involved in a scandal over misuse of public money is going to hand over $35 million to a private corporation to help it land a (third) professional sports team?

A high-profile international amateur sporting event and a university athletic facility is one thing. Its quite another thing to give millions of taxpayers' dollars to subsidise MLSE. I can just imagine what the CPC-BQ will have to say about that!

Maybe it's time for professional sports in Canada to be treated on an equal footing with say the arts. A deal with a university should not rank holier than a deal with any other concern. And are the Argos any less professional than an MLS team? Look at another so-called "amateur sporting facilty," the Big O (what an appropriate name). Yeah let's build a few more of these amateur white elephants. As far as the Block goes, they are not a national party, and they are consequently not concerned with the welfare of this country. It is a provincial party and will never amount to anythimg more than that. My Canada includes Quebec, and outside of a few separatists who have lost every referendum, the rest of the world views it that way too. Were the Block or the Party complaining when the amateur Big O was been constructed? I'm not advocating Toronto for this stadium by anymeans. IMO until Toronto shows that they respect and support Small Time Soccer, they are not worthy of Big Time Soccer. Use the $35M in Montreal if that works better. If we want professional soccer in Canada, we need to quit operating like amateurs.

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

If a decent stadium can be built for $35 million, why doesn't the CSA act like they have a spine and just BUILD one.

Because the CSA doesn't have $35 million. The government has $35 million and is willing to put it towards a soccer stadium but I'm sure the contingencies gave changed accordingly now that York is out. If the CSA can't afford to fly CMT players first class, it definitely cn't afford the stadium. Don't forget it was FIFA money that paid for the architecural drawings.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

<<If we want professional soccer in Canada, we need to quit operating like amateurs.>>

Thats right Robert, and you are asking why the Lynx aren't at the top of everyone's favorite list in Toronto?

I haven't asked a thing about the Lynx. Outside of their results and their attendance figures, I know very little about the club. It appears that there are a fair number of Toronto soccer fans on this board, that are displeased with many aspects of the club. I'd be interested to hear what these fans think the Lynx and their owner could be doing to improve things?

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Why? He's proved yet again he's a liar and his posts mean nothing, other than to serve as his own personal vehicle for trying to bait people.

Grade A...

When have i lied? Never thats when. You just don't like the truth

thats all. You may not like what i have to say but don't make up lies

about me telling so called lies.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

When have i lied? Never thats when. You just don't like the truth

thats all. You may not like what i have to say but don't make up lies

about me telling so called lies.

At a minimum, you mislead us when you wrote that you quit and will not post anymore. Yet, here you are, posting again.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

At a minimum, you mislead us when you wrote that you quit and will not post anymore. Yet, here you are, posting again.

Actually i wasn't coming back at least for a while until that

article in the Toronto Sun about the Lynx being happy the TO stadium

deal went under, i wrote something about that and thats was going to

be it for a while, but then some jackass worte and said i lied to

people which is just not the case. I said i was leaving for a while

i don't believe i used the word quit.

Ooooh. I'm a jackass.

Well, coming from Beast, that makes me quite happy.

And Beast-you did lie. You're posting again, so you lied.

1-Title of the thread? "Beast calls it quits"

2-First line in the post? "Well this is the last post for the Bestmeister"

3-Another line? "Canadian soccer is a dead issue for me now"

So, in this jackass's eyes, you lied. End of.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Ooooh. I'm a jackass.

Well, coming from Beast, that makes me quite happy.

And Beast-you did lie. You're posting again, so you lied.

1-Title of the thread? "Beast calls it quits"

2-First line in the post? "Well this is the last post for the Bestmeister"

3-Another line? "Canadian soccer is a dead issue for me now"

So, in this jackass's eyes, you lied. End of.

The term call it quits is a term used for timeout/calm down period,

if i meant to say I quit, then i would have used the term i quit

if you actually read the letter in general soccer forum i never

said i would quit, so LMS you lied not me.

I wasn't talking Canadian soccer i was talking Toronto LYNX who

have no connection to Canadian soccer at all except for playing

in Toronto. So please get your fact straight for once in your

life.

Robert, to answer your question if you want to see why they have meagre support, take a look at Lacrosse, a sport that is even lower on the sports pecking order than soccer. But the TO Rock, are well organised, and well promoted. 20,000 people come to their playoff games. Maybe the Hartrells dont have the money the Saputos do to turn the team into a championship winner. Maybe they just dont have the skills. But they dont want to let anyone else try to make soccer work here either. And thats my beef. I believe in free markets. If the Lynx cannot properly exploit the Toronto market, and the Leafs want to try, why is that bad? Why should mediocrity be rewarded because of 'support for small-team soccer' ? The small team operator needs to put out a quality product, but if he cant then he needs to stand aside for someone who can. But....Bruno Hartrell's ego far outstrips his ability.

Robert, to answer your question if you want to see why they have meagre support, take a look at Lacrosse, a sport that is even lower on the sports pecking order than soccer. But the TO Rock, are well organised, and well promoted. 20,000 people come to their playoff games. Maybe the Hartrells dont have the money the Saputos do to turn the team into a championship winner. Maybe they just dont have the skills. But they dont want to let anyone else try to make soccer work here either. And thats my beef. I believe in free markets. If the Lynx cannot properly exploit the Toronto market, and the Leafs want to try, why is that bad? Why should mediocrity be rewarded because of 'support for small-team soccer' ? The small team operator needs to put out a quality product, but if he cant then he needs to stand aside for someone who can. But....Bruno Hartrell's ego far outstrips his ability.

He who doesn't honour something small, isn't worthy of something large. I am referring to Toronto's soccer fans, not the owner's of a Toronto soccer club. Now IMHO, a true fan of soccer would more than once a year check out the best soccer team in his city. It would be like a lover of classical music never going to see his local orchestra. Lacrosse is not soccer. Yes their both sports, just as apples and oranges are both fruits. One could argue your point and say that Toronto has more lacrosse fans than soccer fans. As far as Mr. Hartrell goes, he is the only guy I know who brings his Toronto soccer club to Vancouver every year. And yet that's not good enogh for many of you. I don't believe that MLSE is planning on bringing a Toronto soccer club to Vancouver anytime soon. At least Bruno suits up and shows up. Can you say the same?

My answer: He who settles for very little, usually gets just that. Thanks for trying Bruno, time to pass the baton on to someone else. I admire your idealism Robert but I value excellence over all. We have a philisophical difference it seems. I wish you and your city the best on your own path though.

My answer: He who settles for very little, usually gets just that. Thanks for trying Bruno, time to pass the baton on to someone else. I admire your idealism Robert but I value excellence over all. We have a philisophical difference it seems. I wish you and your city the best on your own path though.

I too value excellence, however, we all can't live in Milano, eh? I don't believe in Sant Claus anymore, but I sure hope you get your MLS team for Xmas.;)

quote:Originally posted by Robert

He who doesn't honour something small, isn't worthy of something large. I am referring to Toronto's soccer fans, not the owner's of a Toronto soccer club. Now IMHO, a true fan of soccer would more than once a year check out the best soccer team in his city. It would be like a lover of classical music never going to see his local orchestra. Lacrosse is not soccer. Yes their both sports, just as apples and oranges are both fruits. One could argue your point and say that Toronto has more lacrosse fans than soccer fans. As far as Mr. Hartrell goes, he is the only guy I know who brings his Toronto soccer club to Vancouver every year. And yet that's not good enogh for many of you. I don't believe that MLSE is planning on bringing a Toronto soccer club to Vancouver anytime soon. At least Bruno suits up and shows up. Can you say the same?

[red]Robert, the Lynx to put it simply are not worth hard earned

money to go see. Bruno Hartrell attitude about soccer in Toronto

sucks and why should help him out? He doesn't care about having

a professional product on the field, the lose and will continue

to lose. For him the Lynx is a tax break nothing more. Lacrosse

maybe on a lower pecking order then Canadian soccer, but not for

much longer, i was at the Rock's championship win last Saturday

in Toronto, it was another fantasic experience, Canadian soccer

can only wish it could have it so good. Nobody is going to see

the Lynx anymore i know i wont, they only way i will show up for

soccer again in toronto is if the champions world series group

brings teams like Celtic and Liverpool back, or an MLS team

arrives and kicks the Hartrells'out [^], but until then the

Toronto Rock can have my ticket money they are worth it.

Archived