CP Reporting York U. Out Of Stadium Project

According to the CSA website they held a media conference call to respond to the York Statement at 3pm today. So I guess we should be hearing from them soon. I wonder how many members of the media played back the "There is no Plan B! The stadium will be built! When will you people realize that!" comments from Pipe over the phone back at him during the conference call.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CSA reaction:

Would love to know what the three other potential venues are and whether or not they are in Toronto.

CSA Statement on York University Decision

Ottawa, Ontario – The CSA issued the following statement following the decision by York University to withdraw from the stadium project.

“Despite the decision by York University to withdraw from the stadium project, the Canadian Soccer Association wishes to emphasize that this in no way jeopardizes the ability for Canada to host the FIFA World Youth Championship 2007. We will immediately review other possible hosting venues to join those already in place in Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton, Victoria and Vancouver.”

FIFA Vice President and CONCACAF President Jack Warner reiterated and emphasized FIFA’s continued and committed support to Canada hosting the FIFA World Youth Championship 2007 with or without a stadium at York University. He also singled out the positive announcement of the construction of a soccer specific stadium in Montreal (Saputo Stadium) which will hold 13,500 spectators, expandable to 17,000.”

The championship already involves five exceptional tournament host cities who are well on their way to hosting the tournament. The CSA is already in discussion with at least three different potential venues to replace York University and intends to have this issue fully resolved by early June.”

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

This is disastrous news for Canadian soccer, and for Toronto in particular.

am i too toronto, i don't think so ... toronto made its soccer statement last summer at the skydome ...

this is a CSA disaster not a toronto one ...

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

yes this is a CSA made disaster. They were stupid enough to get

involved with three second rate organizations, the University of

Toronto, York University and the Toronto Argo's. If the CSA could

find the funds to still get the stadium going, go back to Exhibition

park were the stadium should have been placed from the start.

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

am i too toronto, i don't think so ... toronto made its soccer statement last summer at the skydome ...

For those of us in Toronto that care about seeing high-quality soccer come to Toronto on a regular basis for the first time since 1984, this is a disaster. There is no debate about this.

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

For those of us in Toronto that care about seeing high-quality soccer come to Toronto on a regular basis for the first time since 1984, this is a disaster. There is no debate about this.

Lamport & Birchmount would have to be completely upgraded & re-vamped for it not to be an international embarassment to play the matches there. This includes in the case of Birchmount an entirely new press facilities, as the one currently in Birchmount is worse than a joke. I'm not expert but I supsect the cost of doing so might well exceed the cost of building a stadium from scratch, except for the fact that there is no land that would need to be purchased.

If any stadium is going to be used temporarily in Toronto for the WYC, I would think it would be the Skydome with grass installed. Though it will be difficult, as you'd need to clear both the Jays and (as the CFL starts in the month of July) the Argos out of there for an extended period.

As the new stadium was going to have FieldTurf and as the Skydome now has FieldTurf, I doubt we'd see natural grass installed for the one or two dates that the dome might host.

This being the case, scheduling will not be as big an issue as the only thing that would be to be done is the repainting of the lines on the field.

It will be interesting to see, this summer, how well the lines come up between baseball and football dates.

db

Lamport & Birchmount would have to be completely upgraded & re-vamped for it not to be an international embarassment to play the matches there. This includes in the case of Birchmount an entirely new press facilities, as the one currently in Birchmount is worse than a joke. I'm not expert but I supsect the cost of doing so might well exceed the cost of building a stadium from scratch, except for the fact that there is no land that would need to be purchased.

If any stadium is going to be used temporarily in Toronto for the WYC, I would think it would be the Skydome with grass installed. Though it will be difficult, as you'd need to clear both the Jays and (as the CFL starts in the month of July) the Argos out of there for an extended period.

As the new stadium was going to have FieldTurf and as the Skydome now has FieldTurf, I doubt we'd see natural grass installed for the one or two dates that the dome might host.

This being the case, scheduling will not be as big an issue as the only thing that would be to be done is the repainting of the lines on the field.

It will be interesting to see, this summer, how well the lines come up between baseball and football dates.

db

Yeah, you are correct about the Field Turf I forgot about that.

Looks like Pipe just mentioned on the Score that they are looking at three options, the Skydome, Ivor Wynne and something out of the province. Either way, it sounds like the MLS in Toronto is done like dinner unless the MLSE are interested in becoming tenants of Rogers in a larger-than-necessary stadium (and the MLS is also interested).

Looks like Pipe just mentioned on the Score that they are looking at three options, the Skydome, Ivor Wynne and something out of the province. Either way, it sounds like the MLS in Toronto is done like dinner unless the MLSE are interested in becoming tenants of Rogers in a larger-than-necessary stadium (and the MLS is also interested).

Absolutely. There is no debate necessary. This is a hugely disheartening turn of events. We've had no quality/real professional soccer since 1984 and there is no light at the end of this tunnel. The stadium at least gave us a glimmer of hope.

Unless MLSE and MLS can be persuaded to give Skydome a chance as an MLS venue, Toronto soccer will continue to be dominated by pretenders.

db

If our best option is moving to Skydome, then personally I would rather see the venue moved out of Toronto. If Hamilton can step-up to the plate and Canada scores another soccer venue (like FIFA approved Fieldturd at Ivor Wynne), then that is clearly the best option.

Perhaps a few upgrades in Kingston would also provide a suitable venue ?

Skydome would be a complete waste of infrastructure.

We're on the same page aren't we. Ivor Wynne works for me but is the field wide enough? Not much room to expand it. What surface do they have? It's a non-FieldTurf artifical grass isn't it? Is it FIFA approved?

Ya, the dome. It's worth a try isn't it? I'm desperate.

db

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

If our best option is moving to Skydome, then personally I would rather see the venue moved out of Toronto. If Hamilton can step-up to the plate and Canada scores another soccer venue (like FIFA approved Fieldturd at Ivor Wynne), then that is clearly the best option.

Perhaps a few upgrades in Kingston would also provide a suitable venue ?

Skydome would be a complete waste of infrastructure.

Nah. Kingston would be embarassing. It's worse than McGill before the rejuvenation. It's not worth it.

I do like the idea of Ivor Wynne. I saw the Blizzard play Glasgow Rangers there once.

That said, put 20k into Skydome's lower bowl and it can work.

db

The cost of installing FIFA approved Fieldturf in Hamilton will be tens of millions cheaper than building a stadium in TO. It will also be much faster and done without the political minefield that TO has presented.

Edmonton gets the final and move TO's group to Hamilton.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

We're on the same page aren't we. Ivor Wynne works for me but is the field wide enough? Not much room to expand it. What surface do they have? It's a non-FieldTurf artifical grass isn't it? Is it FIFA approved?

Yeah, they'd have to install the proper turf. But if they can do that they'll have not only a better surface for the Ti-Cats but also the inside shot at national team games that would come to the Southern Ontario region.

As for the width, I think its just (barely) wide enough, but I'm not positive.

With the 407 behind my house I can get to Hamilton in less than an hour (a little longer than it takes to get to Centennial, unbelievably) so I'll take that over the moving it out of the province. I'm desperate as well!

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Unless MLSE and MLS can be persuaded to give Skydome a chance as an MLS venue, Toronto soccer will continue to be dominated by pretenders.

db

why MLSE ... don't you think rogers has won this game ...

Yeah, they'd have to install the proper turf. But if they can do that they'll have not only a better surface for the Ti-Cats but also the inside shot at national team games that would come to the Southern Ontario region.

As for the width, I think its just (barely) wide enough, but I'm not positive.

With the 407 behind my house I can get to Hamilton in less than an hour (a little longer than it takes to get to Centennial, unbelievably) so I'll take that over the moving it out of the province. I'm desperate as well!

I'd have no problem going to Hamilton and yes, FieldTurf would be a good thing for the TiCats.

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damnitall. We really needed that facility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived