1993 Canada v Australia Match Reports

PSG

Just found some really good match reports of the two games against Australia in 1993. The games were part of the qualifying series for the 1994 World Cup in the USA and are a really good read. The first leg was in Edmonton (2-1) and the 2nd in Sydney (1-2). Canada lost on penalties. To view them, go to http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Socceroo/1993A.html and then select the relevant games.

I remember the series like it happened yesterday. The scoreline flattered Austrlia in Canada. We mauled them in the second half. One of the better games I have attended.

The Australia leg was a heart-breaker. Forrest kept us in the match and Hooper scored a world-class goal. Alex choked on his PK.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to see either game. I have however, ordered a DVD of the game in Sydney (see www.davebrett.com) who has several Canada MNT games. Am looking forward to seeing that. The report made it sound like a blinder. As always, the ever dependable Craig Forrest sounded in a class of his own. Legend!

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

Those of us who got to watch the second leg didn't see most of it either.

I got to see most of it, if I remember correctly the screen went blank shortly before the penaly shootout.

Man I yelled at the screen.

I'm glad I was a young lad during that second leg because I had gotten no sleep was up at some ungodly early hour to watch the match and early in the second half of OT the feed went. We're reduced to getting telephone calls from Dick Howard (which is an amazing on the fly kind of plan B on TSN's behalf) who is trying to do some sort of pbp.

It was excruciating. "there's a Canadian down . . . can't see who it is . . . he appears to be bleeding . . . Canada is down a man as play continues . . . " Apparently it was Grant Needham.

I was just screaming at the TV. It was torture. I'd love to see those two games again. We were badly out-classed in Australia, but I thought we played brilliantly in Edmonton in front of a great crowd as I recall.

The Aussies went out to Argentina on a weird deflection in Buenos Aires, so that wasn't a bad result at all.

cheers,

matthew

Archived