BC Canada's 'soccer-province'.......

The thought that Vancouver could be playing in temporary seating is ridiculous. Whether this lays the foundation (whatever that means) for a permanent stadium is little consolation. I am very disappointed with this proposal:

Two cities hosting youth championships shows B.C. Canada's soccer province

VANCOUVER (CP) - Victoria and Vancouver both being chosen as host cities for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship is further proof that B.C. is Canada's soccer province, the vice-chairman of the committee that helped bring the tournament to the West Coast said Wednesday.

The province has more than 130,000 registered players; Vancouver is home of both the men's and women's national teams; and both Dale Mitchell and Ian Bridge, coaches of the men and women's under-20 teams, live in the city, said Bob Lenarduzzi, a member of Canada's 1986 World Cup team.

"It's just further evidence we can label ourselves the province of soccer," added Lenarduzzi, director of soccer operations for Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

"I'm sure we'll have some argument from our friends in Ontario and Quebec, but I think with all the points I've made they'd be hard pressed to make any other argument."

Victor Montagliani, president of the B.C. Soccer Association, shrugged when asked if other provinces may be offended by B.C.'s boast.

"I really don't care," he said. "We've placed a high number of players on the national teams, a lot of national coaches have been from B.C. The Vancouver Whitecaps have been the flagship team in what ever league they played in.

"The proof is in the pudding."

Vancouver and Victoria also hosted part of the inaugural women's under-19 world championship in 2002.

With 24 teams and 52 matches, the under-20 men's tournament is second in size only to the World Cup in FIFA world championships. It will be held for three weeks beginning July 1, 2007.

Past players include Argentina's Diego Maradona, England's Michael Owen, Brazil's Ronaldinho, France's Thierry Henry and Canada's Craig Forrest.

Other host cities are Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal and Ottawa.

Lenarduzzi said three doubleheaders will be played in both Vancouver and Victoria. Vancouver will also be the site of a quarter-final playoff.

Tournament groups have not been determined but Lenarduzzi is confident Vancouver will see one of the top draws.

"We've been told, because of the success we had with the U-19 women's championship and the appeal of Brazil, there is a good chance Brazil could be part of the group we are hosting," he said.

Montagliani said the tournament will have a lasting benefit.

"I think the impact is hopefully we create some legacies from a facility standpoint," he said.

"The other legacy is galvanizing the soccer nation and inspiring the youth that we have to stay in the game."

Games in Victoria will be played at Centennial Stadium at the University of Victoria.

Vancouver organizers had hoped a 15,000 to 20,000-seat soccer facility could be built in downtown Vancouver in time for the tournament.

"Realistically that's not going to happen," said Lenarduzzi.

That leaves two options.

One is a 10,000 to 15,000-seat temporary facility in the downtown area.

"We think there is a pretty good possibility of that happening," said Lenarduzzi. "It won't be as basic as just putting up bleachers. We know the world is watching. We would like to put up something reflective of our province and our country.,"

The temporary facility could lay the foundation for a permanent stadium.

If details of a temporary facility can't be reached by the end of the year, the tournament will be held at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, which borders on Vancouver.

Swangard, which can currently has capacity for 5,000 at Whitecap games, would be expanded to 13,000 seats.

Montagliani said Victoria has already pre-sold around 25,000 tickets for its game. Vancouver has pre-sold about $300,000 worth of tickets.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also disappointed, and genuinely puzzled why they would evenfeel the need to boast about being the "province of soccer" in the first place (what good will come out of this boast?), let alone at a time that they come out and say we can't build a new stadium for a major soccer tournament and the province of Quebec seemingly can.

I'm also disappointed, and genuinely puzzled why they would evenfeel the need to boast about being the "province of soccer" in the first place (what good will come out of this boast?), let alone at a time that they come out and say we can't build a new stadium for a major soccer tournament and the province of Quebec seemingly can.

Be disappointed if you wish. One possible location for a temporary facility is close to BC Place and GM Place where the start/finish line used to be for the Vancouver Indy. Swangard also is a lovely facility and can easily accommodate the temporary additional seating to meet requirements for this event but it does not have the convenience of a downtown Vancouver location with walking distance proximity to multiple high class hotels and other facilities.

I am more than happy to be patient. Greg Kerfoot has plans for a superb permanent facility in downtown Vancouver right on the waterfront looking out across the Burrard Inlet towards the North Shore Mountains. This will truly be a world class facility and one I am willing to wait for.

Be disappointed if you wish. One possible location for a temporary facility is close to BC Place and GM Place where the start/finish line used to be for the Vancouver Indy. Swangard also is a lovely facility and can easily accommodate the temporary additional seating to meet requirements for this event but it does not have the convenience of a downtown Vancouver location with walking distance proximity to multiple high class hotels and other facilities.

I am more than happy to be patient. Greg Kerfoot has plans for a superb permanent facility in downtown Vancouver right on the waterfront looking out across the Burrard Inlet towards the North Shore Mountains. This will truly be a world class facility and one I am willing to wait for.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

One possible location for a temporary facility is close to BC Place and GM Place where the start/finish line used to be for the Vancouver Indy. Swangard also is a lovely facility and can easily accommodate the temporary additional seating to meet requirements for this event. Greg Kerfoot has plans for a superb permanent facility in downtown Vancouver right on the waterfront looking out across the Burrard Inlet towards the North Shore Mountains. This will truly be a world class facility and one I am willing to wait for.

You are right to identify Swangard, located in Burnaby, as an option.

The downtown location you mention and the waterfront property are both very expensive. I'd bet the U17 games will be played at Swangard, but doubt anyone would bet on another site, unless I give them big odds.

Lenarduzzi's rambling about a temporary site in downtown Vancouver is incredulous. Who would spend millions on a temporary field that will be used for games on 4 evenings? Not an investor, but maybe a foolhardy politician.

One would think that the self-proclaimed province of soccer would have at least one professional level soccer friendly stadium or at an absolute minimum would at least be planning to build one in one of the two locations where they are hosting a major international soccer tournament.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

You are right to identify Swangard, located in Burnaby, as an option.

The downtown location you mention and the waterfront property are both very expensive. I'd bet the U17 games will be played at Swangard, but doubt anyone would bet on another site, unless I give them big odds.

Lenarduzzi's rambling about a temporary site in downtown Vancouver is incredulous. Who would spend millions on a temporary field that will be used for games on 4 evenings? Not an investor, but maybe a foolhardy politician.

My source is none other than John Rocha, president of the club. Take it or leave it.

To be sure you don't misunderstand me, the BC Place / GM Place location would be for a temporary facility specifically for WYC 2007. The waterfront site will be a permanent stadium if it goes ahead, but it cannot be completed in time for WYC 2007.

The Vancouver organisers led by a team of Whitecaps FC front office folks had a program involving clubs and leagues throughout the province. Several weeks before the bid submission deadline they had raised over $400,000 through this program, all of which included tickets to games so I can easily believe the number quoted by Montagliani. I will check with one of the bid committee members I know from Victoria about their ticket presale numbers but I have no reason to doubt their numbers either.

Well, Ontario and Québec both have at least as many registered players and both are on track to build new stadiums, something that BC seems unable to do. The Impact have surpassed the Whitecaps as the premier Canadian team and outdraw them by nearly 100%...

As for the coaches, I think it's more a question of the previous generations of players being from BC than it is about the quality produced today.

I think that the boasting is ridiculous and petty, if not inflaming.

Squad composition against Portugal:

10 Ontarians

2 BCers

2 QCers

2 Albertans

ON Greg Sutton

AB Lars Hirschfeld

AB Kevin McKenna

ON Marco Reda

ON Julian deGuzman

ON Paul Stalteri

BC Daniel Imhof

ON Tomasz Radzinski

QC Patrice Bernier

ON Jim Brennan

ON Mike Klukowski

ON Atiba Hutchinson

ON Dwayne de Rosario

BC Josh Simpson

QC Olivier Occean

ON Jaime Peters

I don't have a problem with the boasting. I'm glad they are happy and out selling tickets. I don't think it's a shot at anyone.

I have no problem with Swangard being used, especially if capacity is expanded to 13,000.

But the key question is: Is the expanded seating for Swangard temporary or permanent ? If the expanded seating is temporary, then it's again a complete waste and does nothing to provide an infrastructure legacy.

If Vancouver can't build a new stadium or add a single new permanent seat to Swangard, then I'll be shocked that they were even awarded as host city.

C'mon guys, the boasting is just dumb PR, no different then calling yourself the "Education province" or the "City of Champions". I'll tell you, though, if you don't like "Canada's soccer province", you sure wouldn't have enjoyed the non-stop ads the current BC government ran in the months leading up to May 17th's provincial election. The tag line was "British Columbia: The best place on Earth." [:P]

http://community.webshots.com/album/144021102fdGgGA

Im with Daniel on this one, montreal is a hotbed for Soccer right now, and should get some respect in that area and have a chance to hold a game. Vancouver has no stadium with any substance and no home support. There in the same boat as Toronto. plain and simple

quote:Originally posted by snake

Montagliani said Victoria has already pre-sold around 25,000 tickets for its game. Vancouver has pre-sold about $300,000 worth of tickets.

??????????????????

The Victoria Bid Committee went to every soccer club (and other local organizations like the Chamber of Commerce) on Vancouver Island and got commitments for the tickets based on projected prices. No money has actually been taken in yet since the they couldn't actually sell the tickets until they had been awarded the games.

They even got me to promise to "sell" some tickets. :D Depending what group we get, it shouldn't be too hard to sell out the stadium for all the games.

Yeah, to be clear, this claim that BC is Canada's "soccer province" is PR intended for local audiences primarily. This is our way--BC's way--of saying to its own citizens that we should be proud of what we've achieved in winning two bits etc. And, it is a way of drumming up more media and perhaps, as a result, more corporate sponsorship and government aid. Ontario and Quebec are two hot beds of Canadian soccer, very clearly, and Alberta is on the rise. The one thing that oour coastal communities have over the rest of the country is the ability to play year-round at near-full capacity.

As for a proper stadium, like Richard said, just be patient. Kerfoot is no dummy; he will make sure to build a great stadium at the right time and in the right manner. Thank goodness for the Saputos and Kerfoot. I wish the other multimillionaires in our country would step up and get behind soccer.

Well first we had the ridiculous "soccer capital of Canada", now the "Province of Soccer" boasts, I'm wondering what's next? Will someone make the claim for the "Municipality of Soccer"? The County of Soccer? The "Territory of Soccer"? The Borough of Soccer? The Hamlet of Soccer? The Backyard of Soccer? Have I missed any? :)

As an Ontarian I'm not concerned, and not interested in competing for kudos. As was already pointed out, its designed to drum up support among local BC audiences, not to wind up other provinces. As far as I'm concerned I wish the other provinces all the best and will remain focussed on Ontario acheiving its own goals - Building the stadium and getting the MLS pro-franchise. Considering our track record on obtaining stadia and franchises (Skydome/pro baseball-check, ACC/pro basketball-check)I'm confident we will get this done.

Regardless of the bragging tag, I'm just glad that BC and

Quebec have their sh!t together. Although Saputo's and Kerfoot's

plans are pretty concrete, I'm still hopeful that the York plans

will still be a go. Whether it's 25 or 20 thousand seats, who cares?

Just get it done and the naysayers will look stupid.

It definitely better than in Winnipeg, where plans for world-class

soccer & training facilities are usually up for more study than

commitment.

As for Ontario as the premier province for soccer, you can certainly

make a case, but I just find it strange that a province of 8 million

(and the corporate money included) cannot finalize a stadium where

the Lynx can play with dignity. IMHO.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I don't have a problem with the boasting. I'm glad they are happy and out selling tickets. I don't think it's a shot at anyone.

I have no problem with Swangard being used, especially if capacity is expanded to 13,000.

But the key question is: Is the expanded seating for Swangard temporary or permanent ? If the expanded seating is temporary, then it's again a complete waste and does nothing to provide an infrastructure legacy.

If Vancouver can't build a new stadium or add a single new permanent seat to Swangard, then I'll be shocked that they were even awarded as host city.

Swangard Stadium is located within Central Park in Burnaby, it occupies a chunk of land at the north-west corner of the park. Any permanent expansion of seating will involve encroaching on park land and Burnaby City Hall has refused point blank to allow any more of Central Park to be used in this way. Temporary facilities they will permit however. This is precisely why the Whitecaps FC are looking to build their own facility elsewhere. Vancouver will get a new stadium, orders of magnitude superior to Swangard and it has never been dependent upon whether or not Vancouver hosted some of the 2007 WYC games.

Archived