2007 WYC special on The Score today

Interesting, the part I saw, Kevin Pipe talked about the Lynx playing at the new stadium, he never mentioned MLS, I only caught the last part of the interview, did he mention MLS prior to that?

The only part I saw was an unintentionally hilarious exchange between Pipe and a group of reporters with microphones in his face. The exchange went something like this:

Pipe: "The stadium is going ahead, no question about it"

Reporters: "Do you have a plan B?

Pipe: "For what? I told you, the stadiums going ahead!!"

I pray you are right Kevan, I really do.

The only part I saw was an unintentionally hilarious exchange between Pipe and a group of reporters with microphones in his face. The exchange went something like this:

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Without the Argos and the possibility that it won't be paletable to entice the MLE to invest in the MLS, the project becomes a tougher sell to the politicians who may rightfully ask what the legacy of this project will be. With the olympic stadium, at least you can say that it housed major league baseball for 25 years. Not to mention the CFL, and hundreds of other events. like concerts and tracktors. But here we are asking for taxpayers monies for a project that will ultimately benefit a college football team. Hmmm!!!! a new federal government might ask some questions about the benefit to the tax pay with this project. As for the CSA? well this ties into my points in the other thread ( ie.: selection of venues for MNT matches)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Without the Argos and the possibility that it won't be paletable to entice the MLE to invest in the MLS, the project becomes a tougher sell to the politicians who may rightfully ask what the legacy of this project will be. With the olympic stadium, at least you can say that it housed major league baseball for 25 years. Not to mention the CFL, and hundreds of other events. like concerts and tracktors. But here we are asking for taxpayers monies for a project that will ultimately benefit a college football team. Hmmm!!!! a new federal government might ask some questions about the benefit to the tax pay with this project. As for the CSA? well this ties into my points in the other thread ( ie.: selection of venues for MNT matches)

Its not up to the politicians though - I've heard that the respective governments have stated they are still committed to the money. They understand the need for a soccer stadium in Toronto. I believe only York can pull the plug now, more specifically their board of governors, though I can't imagine why they would want to since they will benefit tremendously from having somebody else largely pay for their stadium.....unless they believe that it can't be built for $20,000 and would be a waste of their own $15 million.

Its not up to the politicians though - I've heard that the respective governments have stated they are still committed to the money. They understand the need for a soccer stadium in Toronto. I believe only York can pull the plug now, more specifically their board of governors, though I can't imagine why they would want to since they will benefit tremendously from having somebody else largely pay for their stadium.....unless they believe that it can't be built for $20,000 and would be a waste of their own $15 million.

I caught most of the interview with Pipe and the follow-up with Joey Saputo. Pipe referred to the Lynx moving into the new stadium a few times, saying they had recent discussions. He believed the Lynx would be much more viable in Toronto if they had a proper facility to play in. Sansone asked him about MLS and their relationship with MLSE. Pipe confirmed MLSE has no interest in being anything but a tenant. It sounded to me (assumption) that Pipe believed the two teams could co-exist, although it was probably that he did not want to exclude either an MLS team or the Lynx.

Saputo had some interesting comments regarding the MLS. He stated he wanted nothing to do with their present business modal, calling it a money losing venture (paraphrasing). He said the Impact are profitable, money which is put back into deveoping soccer in Quebec, since the Impact are non-profit. A couple times he asked why he should put up 10-15 million in franchise fees, when the money would be better used back in Quebec Soccer and the Impact. He went on to say the MLS was probably a better developing ground for North American players, and had no problem with a team in Toronto. He thought if it became a "Canadian National Team" it would not work (like the Manic became in Montreal). He agreed with Pipe that the Lynx would be more viable if they had a better facility to play in.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

The point seems to keep getting lost that it is more than a SSS stadium. It will be used by the university for whatever they can dream up using it for. Mens/womens soccer, football, intramurals, graduations?

But they don't need 20,000 seats for any of those things. 5,000-10,000 would suffice, and would be good for the Lynx as well.

I can't see a 20,000-seat stadium being built just for the CSA, Lynx and York U. Putting emotions aside and just thinking logically, I wouldn't support such a venture.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

But they don't need 20,000 seats for any of those things. 5,000-10,000 would suffice, and would be good for the Lynx as well.

I can't see a 20,000-seat stadium being built just for the CSA, Lynx and York U. Putting emotions aside and just thinking logically, I wouldn't support such a venture.

I agree with you, but on the other hand I can't see TO getting any international matches with a 5000 seat stadium.

How about 15,000 seats ?

quote:But they don't need 20,000 seats for any of those things. 5,000-10,000 would suffice, and would be good for the Lynx as well.

As you know there is already going to be a 5000 seat stadium at U of T, private or public use I'm not sure. The original intent was also to book the new stadium for other events. We'll have to wait to see what the final drawings show. Ten thousand seats with those rented bleachers could be a solution but I am as tired as the next guy with these half assed solutions. Fifa used to be against temporary structures but that was probably only meant for the Third World because of safety concerns.

What's up with the Vancouver deal? A temporary stadium would be a total waste of money. If, as was posted elsewhere, they have the land and drawings then they could be building like the Saputos. It generally takes 18 months to build a stadium. Considering the BC weather and a smaller design it could be done in time if they get the shovels in the ground before the end of the year.

I can give you $35,000,000 reasons to build the bigger stadium. We are in a situation where York can build a Stade Saputo more or less for the $15,000,000 they are ponying up, or they can take advantage of Federal and Provincial money and build a larger stadium that might generate more operating revenues without resulting in substantial operating costs nor any increase in capital costs. It doesn't make sense for York to go smaller unless they have reason to doubt the government money.

Ifyou want a stadium for the LYNX, just have seating for about 1,500,

thats more then enough for them, they can't even get close to that

in attendance, and with their current dismal record again this season,

people will not turn out to watch that.

Archived