Forrest Named Honorary Chair of WYC 2007

FIFA World Youth Championship 2007

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Forrest Named Honorary Chair of WYC 2007

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association today announced Craig Forrest, one of the most storied Canadian soccer players, has accepted the position of Honorary Chair for the FIFA World Youth Championship Canada 2007.

“We are most delighted that Craig has agreed to the position as Honorary Chair for the FIFA World Youth Championship Canada 2007 and look forward to his involvement in regards to staging this world class tournament,” said CSA President Andy Sharpe.

Forrest, of Coquitlam, British Columbia led the Canadian Men’s Youth team in 1987 at the FIFA World Youth Championship in Chile and helped Canada to two 2-2 draws against Italy and Nigeria, and a 1-0 loss to Brazil.

Forrest went on to have a an illustrious career as the first Canadian to play in the English Premiership and won the 1992 English 1st Division Champion with Ipswich Town. Forrest also played with Chelsea FC before ending his career after five seasons with West Ham United.

Capped 56 times for Canada at the World Cup level, Forrest led Canada to the 2000 Gold Cup where he was named the tournament’s top goalkeeper and MVP. As a result of winning the Gold Cup, the Canadians took part in the Confederations Cup in Japan/Korea in May/June 2001.

“I was fortunate to have participated in the youth tournament in Chile and experience what it is like as a player,” said Craig Forrest. “I am truly honoured to accept this title and be a part of something so big for Canada.”

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2151

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I'm glad to see the best goalie to ever come out of CONCACAF get his due.

I think that Keller and Friedel would have a say in this but I think that Forrest is one of the best ever in Concacaf.

I'm glad that the best canadian keeper ever that we deeply miss in our MNT program has been honoured.

Archived