De Guzman promoted to Feyenoord first team

An Observer

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'm confident he'll play for Canada for the same reason we saw the Whore suit up for England: family. Family is extremely influential and both his brother and father want him to play for Canada (I'm guessing his mum too). He won't go to Holland. It's just a question of when he does realize that he'll play for Canada.

[red] Let the young man play for who he wants be it Holland or Canada.

A Celtic player in Scotland has decided to play for the Rep of Ireland

and now the Scots fans are upset (he was born in Edinburgh) but it's none of their business. If DeGuzman wants to play at the World Cup

then Holland would be his best choice. If he plays for Canada then,

great but stop giving him a hard time folks, it's HIS decision.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

JdG the younger is not part of the starting lineup for Feyenoord today, nor is he on the bench.

He does not turn eighteen until next autumn so I'm pretty sure he cannot play for the senior Feyenoord team until next season (similar to Jaime Peters, but he turns eighteen this month).

I think he can if he is an EU citizen as there are plenty of players playing first team football throughout Europe who are under 18. I think the exclusion is for non-EU players....which begs the question whether he has a Dutch passport or not yet. I know that these things are much harder to come by in some EU countries than for example in Canada and Britain where you basically qualify by length of time you remain in the country.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I think he can if he is an EU citizen as there are plenty of players playing first team football throughout Europe who are under 18. I think the exclusion is for non-EU players....which begs the question whether he has a Dutch passport or not yet. I know that these things are much harder to come by in some EU countries than for example in Canada and Britain where you basically qualify by length of time you remain in the country.

As far as I know, he is still a non-EU player, hence the earlier post. Of course, if he has acquired a Dutch passport, the situation is very different.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

As far as I know, he is still a non-EU player, hence the earlier post. Of course, if he has acquired a Dutch passport, the situation is very different.

I lived in Europe for quite a while and as I understand it, to play for any national team (including Holland or Canada for that matter) you must be a citizen or have dual nationality.

To play professional football in the Netherlands you do not have to be a citizen or be 18 years old; you need to have a contract. However, all youth players playing for ProV clubs in Holland have contracts; these are not paying contracts, simply yr to yr (June to May) and cover the expectations and rules of playing for the club, football gear and non monetary benefits etc. that will be provided by the club (including schooling on some clubs). Some youth players have ProV-contracts, which ties them to the club for say 5 to 7 years with minor monetary benefits and increases if for example you make the 1st team. Again you do not need to be a citizen or be 18 years old but a parent or guardian need to co-sign. I am told that if you do make the 1st team under the age of 18, the KNVB stipulates the minimum payment for each game with the bulk of the payment placed in a trust fund until the age of 18 and the player gets the rest as an allowance. The minimum payment apparently differs if you are a Dutch player or a non-EU player (higher minimum – ensures he is real good to bump a Dutch player). So the push to get a passport may not be driven by the boy but by the club. But if he is that good it won’t matter; don’t forget that Ronaldo played as a youth for PSV and made the 1st team at 16 or 17 and he is still Brazillian.

quote:Originally posted by DubaiSupporter

But if he is that good it won’t matter; don’t forget that Ronaldo played as a youth for PSV and made the 1st team at 16 or 17 and he is still Brazillian.

I will not comment on the process to play in Holland under the age of 18, but I do know that it is something that changes from time to time.

I will correct you, however, on Ronaldo. Ronaldo played his youth soccer in Rio de Janeiro and then was transferred to Cruzeiro to begin his pro career in Brazil. At Cruzeiro, he had his first call up(debut on March 24, 1994 against Argentina) to the Brazil national team. He, in fact was on the bench, for Brazil at the 1994 World Cup. It was after that Tournament that Ronaldo moved to PSV Einhoven for the 1994-1995 season.

Given his birthdate is Sept. 22, 1976, that would have made him 17 at the beginning of that Dutch League season. Nevertheless, the fact that he had already made the Brazilian national team prior to his moving to PSV and he scored 30 goals in 33 games for PSV's first team, I doubt he spent much time playing time in the PSV youth system.

Archived