Canadian pro-league, if Toronto MLS is now dead

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Exactly. It couldn't be. Anything of this sort must be regional. It's the only way although that means it would be CPSL calibre with CPSL support.

As long as a league of this sort realizes its place, that's would do.

People do not want regional leagues. The CPSL can't get decent

crowd support so that shows you there is no interest in anything

regional.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Of course it's unrealistic, as equally as unrealistic as a national third division. It's a fantasy. A recipe for economic disaster.

There's insufficient interest and non-existant funding. Pure out and out fantasy.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

That's exactly my point. There is no way in hell that Toronto will win their MLS bid if the stadium does not get build. At the rate things are going, the stadium is not expected to get build periodly. This is simply as a result that the Argos Football Club (CFL) have pulled-out from the stadium deal. This unfortunately will bring serious detrimental affects to the development of pro-soccer in Canada. For this reason I am pleading with the rest of Canada that we turn to another alternative. This alternative is plan-B: a new pro-league from sea-to-sea.

With respect to the CSL that was around in the early 90's who were the owners of these teams and could they get together again and start a new league but this time do it right.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Any domestic Canadian league will be a step below USLD1 therefore third division in North America.

Take away the defending champion Montreal Impact, the Vancouver Whitecaps and the Toronto Lynx and put them in a Canadian league, and what's left of the USLD1 starts to look pretty weak, more along the lines of strenght of the PCSL, I'd say.:):D[8D][}:)][:I][:P][:o)]

quote:Originally posted by LMW

With respect to the CSL that was around in the early 90's who were the owners of these teams and could they get together again and start a new league but this time do it right.

If the owner's of the CSL teams gave it another try, what makes you think it would work this time? You still have the same problems, lack of enough Canadian players to fill the rosters, poor soccer cities,

like Victoria,Edmonton, Calgary who fail to support their hometown teams,lack of a TV contract where the league doesn't have to pay to get the games on air. MLS has the right way, where all clubs are league owned, a canadian league might want to try this approach,it

works for us.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Take away the defending champion Montreal Impact, the Vancouver Whitecaps and the Toronto Lynx and put them in a Canadian league, and what's left of the USLD1 starts to look pretty weak, more along the lines of strenght of the PCSL, I'd say.:):D[8D][}:)][:I][:P][:o)]

Actually, with a league gutting the CPSL, PCSL etc. a new league would be more than well above what's currently offered to Canadians.

Doyle G: <<Actually, with a league gutting the CPSL, PCSL etc. a new league would be more than well above what's currently offered to Canadians.>>

In smaller towns yes, but in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, the standard of soccer wont be any higher. An absence of Americans will be the only difference between C-league and USL. As pertains to canada, how about this idea: You guys form a Canadian league including the Toronto Lynx playing at the new stadium at York University. MLSEL starts up an MLS franchise sharing stadium with Lynx. That way the Doyle G's of Canada can have a canadian league, while I can have the choice of watching MLS level soccer. I lived in London England for a while, and their were many Man U and Liverpool fans living there, despite the presence of local teams like Chelsea, Arsenal etc. The moral of the story is nobody should be forced to have to watch either MLS or C-League, Canada is a democracy and I want to have the choice, just like soccer fans globally have the CHOICE of which teams they want to support.

How about have just a Western Canadian Soccer league, ranging from Winnipeg to Victoria? The league could be comprised of Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Teams could represent universities, there would be no coast to coast travelling expenses, and if the east decided to follow suit, there could be a Canadian championship home and home final. However, no inter-league play during season. If the east decides not to join, that's okay too. We would still have a Canadian league representing a larger part of the country than any other league around. IMO it would be a step in the right direction.

How about have just a Western Canadian Soccer league, ranging from Winnipeg to Victoria? The league could be comprised of Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Teams could represent universities, there would be no coast to coast travelling expenses, and if the east decided to follow suit, there could be a Canadian championship home and home final. However, no inter-league play during season. If the east decides not to join, that's okay too. We would still have a Canadian league representing a larger part of the country than any other league around. IMO it would be a step in the right direction.

But where would the bulk of the players come from for the national team? I wouldn't want the CSA spending gov't money on the national team if it were full of westerners.

But where would the bulk of the players come from for the national team? I wouldn't want the CSA spending gov't money on the national team if it were full of westerners.

I'd invite all the good eastern players to come and play in the Western Canadian Soccer League. They'd just love it out here.[^]

I'd invite all the good eastern players to come and play in the Western Canadian Soccer League. They'd just love it out here.[^]

How bout we ship you the Toronto Lynx? The could become the Victoria

Lynx or the Missing Lynx:D

Archived