Capped ever again?

stacks

Will these Players ever get a Cap Again?

Jason Bent- fell of the place of earth after his injuries, Does anybody know what happened to him? I think no more caps. Bernier has taken his place.

Davide Xausa- Teriffic shot, had a so-so year for the WhiteCaps last year, got off to a bad start with Coach Lilley this year. only 29 years of age but I think No more caps.

Martin Nash- only 29, played against Barbados in January 2004, Still has something, good playmaker and ball crosser, maybe a couple of caps left in his tank.

Richard Hastings- yes, everybody remembers his goal, not playing much in Soctland, too much depth on left, I doubt it.

Fernando Aguiar- Too old (31 Years), personal problems, NO Caps.

Tony Menezes- age catching up (31), poor club teams may of hurt him for not being selected last year.

Jeff Clarke- career a-leaguer, our National Team Depth must of been weak to have Jeff on the roster.

Carlo Corazzin- too fat, too old, too slow, great Natinal career

Paul Peschisolido- too old, see Carlo

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I remember watching a MNT game where Davide Xausa was all over the place having a stellar game and thought that he was going to be the future of Canadian soccer.

I didn't realize that he was older than me. Still a fan of Xausa though.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pesch come into the line-up for Gold Cup. He is getting into form--us old guys take half a season to get there--and would prove a useful leader to our young team. Plus, we don't seem to have a tonne of striker options. Occean won't be there, right?

Of all these, however, I'd say Bent would be the one most deserving of a look, except for the fact that I have no idea what he is doing football-wise these days. He has good pace and CAN be skilled if he plays a lot. But it will become increasingly difficult for him to crack the line-up as our younger players are starting to come along (especially Hutch and DeGuzman)

Still remember his face after he scored that decisive penalty in the Gold Cup. Be a shame if we didn't see him in an MNT jersey again, but I would be happy just to know where he is and what he's doing!

Seems to have disappeared completely!

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I think he's in some lower division German team.

A number of German websites track pro players and I can't find him listed on them. Have you got more explicit info on that.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

There is no way that those players should ever be capped again. We have far better alternatives elsewhere.

I agree with your assessment for the most part RJB, with the exception of Jason Bent. I think he could still help us on the right side of midfield, at least until Jamie Peters is ready. At worst, he adds more depth to the team.

I still remember the game against Macedonia at Varsity. Best player on the field.

Well, if you're looking for predictions, I wouldn't be shocked if Richard Hastings were to re-emerge with the national side at some point. Hastings is only 27 (28 in mid-May) and has been getting some time at the top level in Scotland. Also, I'm not convinced we've seen the last of Pesch.

Inverness have been surprising competative this year. Crazy but true. Hastings maybe hasen't been getting a lot of time, but still gets an appearance now and again. As dose Dodds who'll at least find the bench on a regular basis.

Both have moved down the chart though because of the emergance of other players. Nothing wrong with that. That's football.

Pesch? I'd be surprised. Yallop couldn't figure out how to use Radz properly. He'd never manage it with Pesch. And buddy or no buddy, Yallop's got an eye for a future with the younger players and Pesch odviously dosen't fit that mold.

Good soilder though. Earned every minute he played.

Originally posted by stacks

Will these Players ever get a Cap Again?

Tony Menezes- age catching up (31), poor club teams may of hurt him for not being selected last year.

[/quote

What I can't understand is why after playing in the top flight of Brazilian football, Menezes could not catch on in another top league or another team in Brazil. He is a really good defender. Now he is in China. Maybe he needs a new agent. Him and Devos were the backbone of our defense, now both are gone.

Let me speculate based on my knowledge of Brazilian soccer.

First, Botafogo (his team when in Brazil) is Rio's fourth team after Fluminese, Flamengo and Vasco Da Gama. I suspect his options moving to a better club in Brazil would have been limited because all the big clubs in Brazil would have rosters full of similar types of players.

Second, unless a player can be a star on Brazil's big clubs (Flamengo, Flumenese, Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Palmeiras, Santos), the money is not that great in Brazil. I suspect Meneses went to China for money. After all, he his a professional. I know it doesn't help his international career, but a family's gotta eat (something many Brazilians know only too well).

Third, I doubt Meneses had a European passport (wonder if he even holds a Canadian passport?) and going to Europe, at say 28, would not be so easy for an average Brazilian soccer player. Most of the Brazilians at lower levels in Europe would have arrived in Europe in their late teens - early twenties.

If Meneses was 27-28 today, his best option would probably be Russia in terms of quality and money. But he is 31 and Asia is probably the best financial opportunity for someone like him. I suspect Chinese teams are willing to pay a premium to have a Brazilian (almost certain his agent would pitch him as a Brazilian rather than a Canadian) on their team.

quote:Originally posted by LMW

[/quote

What I can't understand is why after playing in the top flight of Brazilian football, Menezes could not catch on in another top league or another team in Brazil. He is a really good defender. Now he is in China. Maybe he needs a new agent. Him and Devos were the backbone of our defense, now both are gone.

Archived