Jaime Peters eligible for Ipswich playoffs?

snake

quote:Originally posted by snake

iremember someone saying that he cant play till he turns 18,which is in a couple weeks.

Actually it's next Wednesday (May 4th). When all this was going on in January, someone mentioned that he could be eligible to play in the last game of the season, but I don't know whether a) that's correct and B) if there are different rules for the playoffs.

all i know is that since he was un-attached when he signed, it didnt matter whether or not he was signed inside the transfer window...as far as i know he's good to go as of his 18th birthday....regardless, i dobt he'll play...the promotion playoffs is hardly a time for an 18 year odl to make his pro debut....unless they're having some serious trouble on the right wing...

The Football League rules don't allow the registration of players this late in a season. I know the club tried to find any way they could to enable him to play this season.

League rules: “After 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March in each Season registrations and transfers of registrations may, except as permitted in Regulation 37.5 [relates to emergency loaning of goalkeepers], be declined or will only be approved subject to such limitations and restrictions as the Board may determine and if so determined the Player shall only be eligible to play in the League Matches for which permission is granted by the Board.”

It's a shame he isn't available as we could do with a bit of pace on the flanks!

Phil

looks like he doesn't officially sign until the summer anyways:

Canadian youngster Jaime Peters will officially sign for the Blues in the summer, despite turning 18 today. Peters signed a pre-contract agreement in January as visa issue meant he could not formally join the club until after his 18th birthday.

TWTD understands that the winger is not currently with the club, having been with a Canada U20 training camp in Germany last week and with involvement in various Canada squads scheduled for the summer.

Even if he did sign this week, Peters would not be able to play in competitive games this season as he was not registered prior to the Football League's deadline day on March 24th.

http://ipswichtown.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=911&p=2&stid=8380001

Yep, that is the case, I wrote the story above. He's not due back at the club until pre-season which will be late June/early July depending on which division we're in.

I trust we have the support of all Canada on Sunday afternoon? We need to better the result of Wigan to win promotion to the Premiership on the final day of the season. Otherwise it's the play-offs, and we're not very good at them.

Phil

I cannot speak for all of Canada, but you have my support. :)

I see you guys have Brighton (home or away?) who are reasonably safe from relegation, but not a sure bet, and Wigan has Reading (home or away?) who are in a dogfight for a playoff spot.

Seems you have a slight advantage. Good luck.

We're away at Brighton's temporary Withdean Stadium (Ipswich have been given only 756 tickets), while Wigan are at home against Reading.

We should beat Brighton and they should be just about safe as it would need a couple of results to go against them for them to go down even if we defeat them.

Reading need a win to get into the play-offs but have been fairly hopeless since Christmas. However, on the last day of last season Wigan were defeated at home by West Ham via a last minute goal which took them out of the play-off positions. We're hoping for much the same to happen again!

BTW, Jason De Vos has had a virus this week and is considered a slight doubt. Given that he played with a suspected hairline fracture to the leg earlier in the season, I can't see a mere virus keeping him out!

Phil

Archived