April 26 U20 Friendly - Mainz 05 vs Canada [R]

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Canada lost 2-1 (I don't understand German, but I think that's what the article says).

http://www.allgemeine-zeitung.de/sport/objekt.php3?artikel_id=1875337

The article states that Mainz played 5 first-teamers in the first half, including one, Kramny, who got injured. The article says virtually nothing about Canada except, if I got this right, Canada's goal resulted from a solo run and long distance shot on goal.

The team Canada played was a mix of Bundesliga players, Reserve team players and the top youth team (not sure if it is U19 or U20 in Germany). The Mainz team in the first half had 6 Bundesliga players including US national team player Conor Casey and the previously mentioned Kramny who was injured due to what the author describes as the "rustic style of the North Americans" by which he means primitive rough playing style (I thought that described German soccer style). Canada took a 1-0 lead after one of the Mainz youth players lost the ball at centre field to an unnamed Canadian who made a solo run and beat the keeper with a long shot. Casey tied the game with two minutes left in the half. The Bundesliga players were subbed out at the half for Reserve team players. According to the author Mainz was the dominant team for both halves and should have scored more. In minute 67 Mainz took the lead on a freekick after which Mainz player jumped over the ball distracting our similarly unnamed keeper who allowed it to go into the net.

I have the impression that this is a very biased account of the game, the author seeming to be trying to excuse a poor performance from the Mainz team in a game they should have easily won. This is a pretty good result for our team. Even the Mainz Reserve team would be full of older more established players than our U-20 team and would be a favourite to defeat our U-20s. To play a team composed of over 50% of Bundesliga players to a draw in the first half is a pretty good accomplishment. Then they only lost one goal to an almost completely fresh Reserve team that came on at the half as Mainz made 9 changes in fact the whole team except for the keeper and the injury replacement for Kramny. Mitchell certainly wouldn't have been able to make nearly as many subs so our team must have been far more tired than the fresh Mainz players.

Wenigstens das Resultat stimmt

Kramny verletzt bei 2:1 gegen U20 aus Kanada

Vom 27.04.2005

upg. Zumindest das Ergebnis stimmte. 2:1 (1:1) gegen die U20-Auswahl aus Kanada - der aus Profis, Amateuren und A-Junioren zusammengewürfelte Fußballer-Haufen des FSV Mainz 05 feierte beim gestrigen Testspiel ein erfolgreiches "Debüt". Ärgerlich war nur die Verletzung von Jürgen Kramny: Der Mittelfeldroutinier bekam schon nach 38 Minuten die rustikale Gangart der Nordamerikaner am massivsten zu spüren und musste nach einem Tritt auf das Fibulaköpfchen am Wadenbein ausgewechselt werden. Der 33-Jährige begab sich umgehend zurück an den Bruchweg und bei Physiotherapeut Uli Märten in Behandlung.

So bekam Kramny auch nicht mehr mit, wie die von Amateurcoach Peter Neustädter betreute 05-Auswahl den Rückstand umbog. Zunächst hatte A-Junior Sven Petry den Kanadiern nach 29 Minuten das 1:0 ermöglicht, als er an der Mittellinie den Ball vertändelte. Ein Solo, ein Distanzschuss, und 05-Keeper Konstantin Stengel war geschlagen.

Die ansonsten deutlich überlegenen 05er kamen zwei Minuten vor der Pause zum Ausgleich, und der war herrlich herausgespielt. Dennis Weiland tankte sich auf der linken Seite durch, seine präzise Flanke drückte Conor Casey in die Maschen. Damit war für die sechs beteiligten Profis - neben Kramny, Weiland und Casey Tamás Bodog, Hanno Balitsch und Christoph Teinert - der Arbeitstag beendet. Nach der Pause wechselte Neustädter seine Amateure ein, Profitrainer Jürgen Klopp hatte genug gesehen und zog von dannen.

Die Entscheidung besorgte Damir Vrancic in der 67. Minute: Sein Freistoß vom linken Strafraumecke segelte durch den Sechzehner, Metin Telle hüpfte über den Ball und der irritierte kanadische Torhüter ließ die Kugel passieren. Allein Nana Bediako hätte noch drei weitere Treffer markieren können, doch das Toreschießen hatten die 05-Amateure auch an diesem Abend nicht erfunden. Neustädter war dennoch nicht unzufrieden: "Das gibt den Jungs Selbstvertrauen. Im Augenblick ist es wichtig, dass sie die Bestätigung bekommen, dass sie Fußball spielen können." Und das gelte auch für die Vielzahl seiner Kicker, die in der neuen Saison nicht mehr am Bruchweg spielen werden: "Die müssen sich ja jetzt für andere Vereine anbieten."

Mainz 05, erste Halbzeit: Stengel - Lichte, Petry, Bodog, Gajda - Kramny (38. Göhring), Balitsch, D. Weiland - Pupalovic, Casey, Teinert. - Zweite Halbzeit: Stengel - Herzog, Muftawu, Schneider, Markolf - Hiemer, Vrancic, Göhring, Schlabach - Telle, Bediako.

Grizz, I'd have to agree with your assessment, though without seeing the game neither of us are basing our analysis on anything more than thin stats. Still, I think Mitchell was wise to play a team filled with older, better established and physically stronger players. Our guys need to play like men, and this sort of match is excellent preparation. If they aren't scared of older players then they shouldn't be scared of players their age.

And, getting a decent result should help our guys build and improve. This sounds like a real step up from the game against China. They still have time to make further strides. I have confidence that Mitchell will have our guys ready.

Now, please somebody let us know who scored the goal. (A solo run and long shot: I'd guess Gyaki or DeJong.)

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Youth Drop Exhibition 2-1

Canada’s Men’s Youth U20 Team today lost 2-1 to Bundesliga club FSV Mainz 05’s reserve team while holding a camp in Germany.

Campbell River, BC native, Riley O’Neill struck first in the 29th minute to give Canada the lead.

American Connor Casey tied up the game for Mainz just before the interval.

Mainz scored the game winner in the 67th minute.

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Youth Drop Exhibition 2-1

Canada’s Men’s Youth U20 Team today lost 2-1 to Bundesliga club FSV Mainz 05’s reserve team while holding a camp in Germany.

Campbell River, BC native, Riley O’Neill struck first in the 29th minute to give Canada the lead.

American Connor Casey tied up the game for Mainz just before the interval.

Mainz scored the game winner in the 67th minute.

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2140

Archived