U-20 In Germany for friendlies

CDN4EVR

Here's the text:

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Monday, April 18, 2005

Youth Assemble in Germany for Training Camp

Dale Mitchell

Ottawa, Ontario – Men’s Youth (U-20) Team Head Coach Dale Mitchell has assembled 20-players for a camp and friendlies in Frankfurt, Germany until Friday, April 29. While training, the team will play two friendlies against China on April 23rd and 28th, and one exhibition against a reserve team from Bundesliga club Mainz on April 26th.

“During the next two months it is important we do everything possible to prepare ourselves for this summer's World Youth Championship,” said Mitchell. “Our goal is to play eight to ten matches leading in to the tournament with half of them being against qualified U20 teams. We are pleased to be able to test ourselves immediately against China who had a narrow win against our first group opponent, Syria, in Asia.”

“The reserve team from Bundesliga club Mainz will also provide a good challenge for our boys.”

In the forward position, Mitchell has invited Mike D’Agostino (University of Kentucky, NCAA), Will Johnson (Chicago Fire, MLS), Riley O’Neill (University of Kentucky, NCAA), and Gianluca Zavarise (Calcio Montebelluna, Italy).

The midfield will consist of Marcel De Jong (Helmond Sport, Netherlands), Ryan Gyaki (Sheffield United FC, England), Jaime Peters (Ipswich Town FC, England), Tyler Rosenlund (UC Santa Barbara, NCAA), and Carlo Schiavoni (UAB, NCAA).

In defence, Mitchell has invited Mathew Britner (Brown University, NCAA), David Edgar (Newcastle Utd. FC, England), Nikolas Ledgerwood (1860 Munich, Germany), Andrew Hainault (Montreal Impact, USL First Division), Simon Kassaye (unattached), Vince Stewart (Simon Fraser University, NAIA), Brad Peetoom (Syracuse University, NCAA), and Graham Ramalho (FC Groningen, Netherlands).

Three goalkeepers will be available on this tour; Asmir Begovic (Portsmouth FC, England) and Robert Giacomi (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), and Joshua Wagenaar (Hartwick College, NCAA).

Britner and Edgar are returning from injuries which kept them out of CONCACAF U20 Qualifying in January.

Games

Date / Time / Opponent

April 23, 2005 11:00 a.m. (local) China

April 26, 2005 TBD Mainz

April 28, 2005 TBD China

*The schedule is subject to change.

Camp Roster

# Pos. Name Club DOB Hometown Prov

1 GK WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College (NCAA) 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

2 D STEWART, Vince Simon Fraser University (NAIA) 21-Jan-86 Delta BC

3 D LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

4 D HAINAULT, Andrew Montreal Impact 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

5 D KASSAYE, Simon unattached 19-May-85 Edmonton AB

6 M SCHIAVONI, Carlo UAB (NCAA) 19-Aug-85 Lachine QC

7 M PETERS, Jaime Ipswich Town FC (England) 4-May-87 Pickering ON

8 M ROSENLUND, Tyler UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

9 M GYAKI, Ryan Sheffield United FC (England) 6-Dec-85 Calgary AB

10 F JOHNSON, Will Chicago Fire (USA) 21-Jan-87 Woodridge IL

11 M DE JONG, Marcel Helmond Sport (Netherlands) 15-Oct-86 Toronto ON

12 F O'NEILL, Riley University of Kentucky (NCAA) 9-Sep-85 Campbell River BC

13 F D'AGOSTINO, Mike University of Kentucky (NCAA) 7-Jan-87 Langley BC

14 D BRITNER, Mathew Brown University (NCAA) 17-Apr-85 Halifax NS

15 D PEETOOM, Brad Syracuse University (NCAA) 2-Mar-86 Abbotsford BC

16 D RAMALHO, Graham FC Groningen (Netherlands) 12-Jan-86 Calgary AB

17 D EDGAR, David Newcastle Utd. FC (England) 19-May-87 Kitchener ON

18 F ZAVARISE, Gianluca Calcio Montebelluna (Italy) 28-Jul-86 Vancouver BC

19 GK GIACOMI, Robert Glasgow Rangers (Scotland) 1-Aug-86 Richmond Hill ON

22 GK BEGOVIC, Asmir Portsmouth FC (England) 20-Jun-87 Edmonton AB

Staff

MITCHELL, Dale - Head Coach - U20 Men

NEELY, Stuart - CSA Staff Coach

MULDOON, Kevin - Equipment Manager/GK Coach

CANNON, Eddie - Athletic Therapist

COCHRANE, Earl - National Teams Manager

From sportsnet.ca

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/shownews.jsp?content=R041827AU#top

Canadian coach waits and wonders about youngster playing in Dutch league

posted April 18 @ 17:58, EST

(CP) - The clock is ticking ever closer to this summer's World Youth Championship in the Netherlands and Canadian under-20 soccer coach Dale Mitchell still wonders whether midfielder-forward Jonathan de Guzman will wear the Maple Leaf.

It doesn't look good at this point. And that's a shame for Canada, considering the talented de Guzman is well placed in the Feyenoord system in the Netherlands. He could help the Canadians on and off the field, given his soccer skills and local knowledge.

"We haven't got him yet and we don't know how that's going to go," Mitchell said Monday from Frankfurt, Germany, where he is holding a 10-day camp for his squad. "At this point, I guess it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I don't know."

The 24-team tournament runs June 10 to July 2 in six Dutch cities. The event is of special interest to Canada, the 2007 tournament host.

De Guzman has said he wants to concentrate on his club career at present, according to older brother Julian who has won 13 caps at the senior level for Canada.

Julian de Guzman, who is set to leave Hannover for Deportivo La Coruna in Spain next season, says he would love to play internationally with his brother.

But Jonathan could have other options, with Dutch papers a possibility down the line given his time at Feyenoord.

Were he to represent Canada at the World Youth Championship, such doors would be closed.

Mitchell has been diplomatic about the de Guzman issue. He knows it is sensitive and has no desire to inflame the situation.

Canadian soccer fans have not forgotten losing Calgary-raised Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves to England (thanks to his father's bloodlines). If pushed, most would probably admit it was an understandable career move given the two countries' positions in world soccer's pecking order. But that doesn't mean they liked it.

The de Guzman family has asked the Canadian Soccer Association to go through Feyenoord in inquiring about Jonathan's services. Mitchell has done that but did not even get a response from the team about an invitation to this week's camp.

Feyenoord didn't make de Guzman available for the CONCACAF qualifying tournament in late January.

"From our point of view, we're interested in the boy playing for us," Mitchell said. "How far we can go with it, I don't know. But we're still pursuing it at this point."

Mitchell is also waiting on defender David Edgar, with Newcastle United now wanting to keep him in England, citing a crowded schedule.

Mitchell will still have a good chunk of his talent in Germany, with exhibition games scheduled against the Chinese under-20 team on Saturday and the FC Mainz reserves on April 26.

Canadian officials hope to schedule a second game against the Chinese, who are training in Germany at the same time. China has also advanced to the world championship and played Syria, Canada's first opponent at the tournament, in qualifying.

Mitchell will use the 10-day camp to further refine his roster. Defender Matt Britner is back in the fold, having recovered from knee surgery. And Mitchell looks forward to checking out goalkeeper Robert Giacomi, who is in Glasgow Rangers' youth system, and forward Gianluca Zavarise, who plays in Italy for Calcio Montebelluna.

Andrea Lombardo, another forward with an Italian club (Atalanta) was not invited to camp because he is carrying an injury, Mitchell said.

Giacomi, who has experience in the under-17 ranks, joins Asmir Begovic of Portsmouth and Joshua Wagenaar of Hartwick College in goal.

"Goalkeeper-wise, we're in pretty good shape," said Mitchell.

The Canadians will take three goalies in their 21-man championship squad, with Wagenaar, Begovic and Giacomi the likely candidates.

Others of note at the German camp include Jamie Peters (Ipswich, England), qualifying tournament scoring hero Ryan Gyaki (Sheffield United, England), Marcel de Jong (Helmond Fire, Netherlands), Nikolas Ledgerwood (1860 Munich, Germany) and Will Johnson (Chicago Fire, MLS).

As for Jonathan de Guzman, for the time being his entry in the player section of the Canadian Soccer Association web site remains all but blank, with only his name, position, club and league filled in.

Like the player, a photo is unavailable.

Notes: The U.S. is the first team from CONCACAF to qualify for the world under-17 championship starting this September in Peru. The Americans won the CONCACAF Group A qualifying tournament with a 2-0-1 record, ahead of 2-1-0 Costa Rica. Canada's Group B qualifying event is set for May 17-21 in Mexico with Honduras, Haiti and the host Mexicans. The Group B winner joins the Americans in Peru. Costa Rica will meet the Group B runner-up in a home-away playoff to decide CONCACAF's third entry at the championship. ... The Canadian women open their European tour in the Netherlands on Tuesday.

Yeah, I was hoping to see Uccello in the line-up, too. I wonder how many of the 11 starting positions have been secured. I get the impression that Mitchell likes Uccello but feels he is still young for this team.

Sounds like Mitchell is arranging excellent preparation for our lads. (Sure wish young DeGuzman was part of the team.) I am glad to see they will be playing against a reserve side from the Bundesliga. It is important they learn to play a physical game, and they should get a tough physical match from a pro-reserve side.

Very curious to see how we fare against China.

Julian's club, Savona, has a game on the 24th. I'm hoping he was left off so as not to upset his club.

As for this new find, Gianluca Zavarise. All I could find so far is that his team, Calcio Montebelluna, currently plays in Serie D Girone C (Italy's 5th tier). The team doesn't have a website. I checked this weekends results and Zavarise did not play for his team, but he may have already left for the camp.

I can confirm with a contact in Italy that Montebelluna is a Serie D team and Gianluca plays on the juniores ( beretti ) which would be what Uccello played last year for AC Milan. The only difference is Uccello did it for one of the biggest clubs in the world. A 1986 should be starting and playing and playing well for the first team in Serie D ( just like Julian 14 goals this season ). In comparison to Lombardo, the other italian striker, he plays for the Primavera of Atalanta currently in first with Juventus both at 41 points. Primavera is the reserves, in Italy, to the first team and the beretti come after the primavera. Draw your own conclusions with this youngster and the other 2 italian playing strikers Lombardo and Uccello!

The starting positions for me already set would be Jaime Peters at right wing, Marcel de Jong at left wing, Will Johnson as one of the strikers or behind the strikers, Andrew Hainault at center back,Ryan Gyaki in the mid, Tyler Rosenlund in the mid, and Ledgerwood at left back all other spots available leaving Goalkeeper, One striker, a center back and a right back. The mid is looking really solid.

quote:Originally posted by bc_soccer_fan

Who is this new guy Gianluca Zavarise? Anyone have any info on him?

I believe he was with the Ontario U17s when I saw them at nationals in Regina in 2003. They had a Gianluca in the midfield who looked quite good on a very strong team (an rather unheralded Uccello was lighting up the tournament). I think it was Zavarese, but that was a few years ago. If so he's not really out of nowhere, he was one of the players I had gone to watch and was touted as a good prospect at the time.

When I go home tonight I'll try to find my program. Lombardo and I believe Giacomi were also on that Ontario team along with a really good No. 10 who I think was named Lee? I'll check tonight. Rosenlund and Myles Davis stood out for BC.

cheers,

matthew

Good to see Matt Britner back in the mix after a devastating knee injury has kept him out for almost a year. He was a staple of this team in the year prior to his injury.

Besides Uccello, Cam Wilson is the other from qualifying team not here. A little suspicious that the Sportsnet article gives reasons for some key omissions like deGuzman and Lombardo, but fail to mention any reason for the absence of Wilson, Uccello and Dylan Hughes for that matter. Maybe Alberto can help?

I would guess that DiSano and Manny Gomez failed their trials in Dallas?

quote:

The de Guzman family has asked the Canadian Soccer Association to go through Feyenoord in inquiring about Jonathan's services. Mitchell has done that but did not even get a response from the team about an invitation to this week's camp.

Feyenoord didn't make de Guzman available for the CONCACAF qualifying tournament in late January.

I thought there was a professional football club in Rotterdam??? Call them in German and they'll hand him right over, along with anything else you'd like...

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Julian's club, Savona, has a game on the 24th. I'm hoping he was left off so as not to upset his club.

I wouldn't be worried about upsetting a 5th-tier club to which Uccello is only on loan from one of the biggest clubs in the world.

quote:Originally posted by Soccerfan9

Primavera is the reserves, in Italy, to the first team and the beretti come after the primavera.

Primavera is not reserves. It is U20 + a few overagers.

this is an extremely solid squad,there is some scoring punch up front directed by an extremly high tempo midfield.this team will definatly make some noise.peters and gyaki will create a lot of space for canadas forwards.

I believe Cam Wilson is injured....i read on the Bristol site a couple of weeks ago that he was carried off in a Reserve match and since then he has not appeared in any of the game summaries for the reserves or the U-18s.

Too bad about Hughes...i was hoping he would come back into the fold. Although he too has not played for quite awhile and was injured so perhaps his exclusion is more to do with that than his refusal to play.

Uccelo is the only player that actually plays first team professional football so his exclusion is probably more to do with that than the fact that he is not being considered for the side.

Agreed, good to see Britner back.....we could use some depth on defense as I personally thought Stewart was our weakest link in qualifying. I was assuming that Edgar may replace him at left back or Kassaye would slide over with Edgar or Britner moving into the center.

It does seem that Di Sano must not have made a big impression in Dallas but Gomez is quite young and still available for the next tournament so it would be a surprise to see him here.

Without Wilson, Uccelo and Lombardo, we are looking a bit thin up front. Hopefully they plus Hughes will back in the fold for June.

Primavera is the reserves in Italy because there is no reserve team in Italy. For example in england there use to be u17, u 19, reserves, first team. In italy there is allievi nazionali(88s), beretti ( some teams only ), Primavera, First team. You are right that the primavera is for u20s this year being made up of 1985s,86s and 87s. 87s play a less because they are younger. Every primavera league match a team is allowed 2 players over the age of 1985 (from the first team) to play. For example i've seen on the Atalanta website that Commandini use to go and play with them but only 2 per match

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I wouldn't be worried about upsetting a 5th-tier club to which Uccello is only on loan from one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Ya, but wouldn't Canada still need the club's permission? This is a camp in the middle of the season, and Julian is really important to his team.

As for this new find, Gianluca Zavarise. All I could find so far is that his team, Calcio Montebelluna, currently plays in Serie D Girone C (Italy's 5th tier). The team doesn't have a website. I checked this weekends results and Zavarise did not play for his team, but he may have already left for the camp.

I also dont show any record of him i know that6 he has not made any appearnece for this first team since the beggining of the year and also i am checking with the berretti team so I have no clue as to who he is unless you have given me a incorrect spelling of his name or club....

I have check under Zavarese and also Zavarise, or his date of birth July 86, is wrong.. sorry can not help out on this issue.

His name is spelt correctly in the CSA release, Gianluca Zavarise.

Through google, I was able to find the following:

He plays in the Campionato Nazionale Juniores. I believe that this is a youth league for Serie D clubs. His team, Montebelluna, is in Girone D (in the actual Serie D, they are in Girone C).

I found an official release from the league, showing that Gianluca picked up a yellow card during a match earlier this year (check out page 7 of '>this pdf).

It also appears that before he left for Italy, Gianluca attended the Roman Tulis soccer school in BC. While there he won the 2003 School Boy Award (http://www.romantulis.com/annual_report_2003_01.htm). Previous winners include Kevin Harmse and Emillo Bottiglieri. He has also previously been involve withed the national set up (U-17's). This kid didn't come out of nowhere. The only real news here is that he is in Italy playing.

There's also a pic of him here, with a list of some of his accomplishments (scroll down):

http://bcsocceruniversity.com/athleteResults.php?display=m2002

quote: Originally posted in the article

Canadian soccer fans have not forgotten losing Calgary-raised Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves to England (thanks to his father's bloodlines). If pushed, most would probably admit it was an understandable career move given the two countries' positions in world soccer's pecking order. But that doesn't mean they liked it...

No, another 'soccer' writer who doesn't get it. Career is determined by play on the field not nationality. Playing for Liberia never hurt Goerge Weah's career and playing for Canada wouldn't have hurt Owen Hargreaves. It might make for great copy, but that is about all. I think, if pushed, most soccer writers would admit that their support for Canadians turning their back on their country is all about easy copy. But that doesn't mean they like it...

They titled the article "The Hargreaves Effect." I have no idea what that was supposed to mean.

We need a Don Cherry type to whip up a proper rant at this point about ingrates and immigrants and war veterans and headgear and francophones and...whatever.

It was Gianluca Zavarise I was thinking of, though obviously I wasn't thinking very clearly. He was with the BC U17s I realized once I found my program, but Massive Attack already pointed that out.

That semifinal was a BC golden-goal win IIRC (which I may not). Zavarise was a left mid and I noted his good play along with Rosenlund and Mike D'Agostino up front. As I remember the game Ontario held a lot of possession, but BC had a lead for a long time and defended well. I only noted Davis and Andrew Proctor in the back (there's no numbers with the program, so I had to ask around to find out who certain guys were). Vincent Stewart and Brad Petoom were also there so clearly it was a pretty good defence BC had.

Ontario had Uccello and Lombardo, with Petro Czoli, Derek Rios and Shyle Braithwaite playing well. Giacomi was in goal. Dominic Oppong also scored on a great free kick.

The No. 10 I was thinking of was Magnus Leung of the Ontario U15s. They looked amazing with the likes of Shane Lammie and Kyle Oliviera who looked great too. Michael Sarangi. Johnson Akuoko and Mark Woodman were also strong. I remember thinking this team looked like they had better ball skills than the U17s I saw.

Interesting that there was no Jamie Peters, but I suppose he might have been in Europe by 2003.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Just like WW2.

You're picking-up what I'm putting down. A cheapshot no doubt, and I'll gladly admit I have no clue whether any of the above posted article is true, BUT, who are Feyenoord to not return phone calls from one of Canada's national managers? Had a few more Canadians taken the same attitude, their club would battling relegation in Bundesliga2 (once again an inappropriate cheapshot, I'll admit, as they'd likely be mid-table). Go win something, anything, before you let a kid believe his career will go straight down the crapper if he misses a few weeks "training." Do they believe their academy features better competition than this tourney? Piss off. Message to Feyenoord: When you're still a few players shy of defeating any club named Wanderers, you're not very good.

quote:Originally posted by Soccerfan9

Primavera is the reserves in Italy because there is no reserve team in Italy.

Well that doesn't make much sense, does it? Either there is a reserve team or there isn't. There isn't. But I think I know what you're getting at: Primavera is the closest thing to a reserve team in Italy.

Ya, but wouldn't Canada still need the club's permission? This is a camp in the middle of the season, and Julian is really important to his team.
Okay, I see where you're coming from. Of course Canada would need Savona's permission. When you spoke of not upsetting them I thought you meant that they shouldn't push for him. In my opinion, if Canada wanted him then they should have pushed as hard as possible. No need to tippytoe around Savona, we really don't need them to do us any favours like we have needed other clubs in the past. If anything, it is Savona who are receiving a favour by having Uccello at all.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

No, another 'soccer' writer who doesn't get it. Career is determined by play on the field not nationality. Playing for Liberia never hurt Goerge Weah's career and playing for Canada wouldn't have hurt Owen Hargreaves. It might make for great copy, but that is about all. I think, if pushed, most soccer writers would admit that their support for Canadians turning their back on their country is all about easy copy. But that doesn't mean they like it...
The "'soccer' writer" of that article is Neil Davidson.

Archived