Italians At It Again (R)

SeanKeay

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to weigh in here.I find it amazing that in Italy the people working on the field such as grounds crews and cameramen protect themselves with helmuts and shields accepting the fact that bottles and flares are just going to rain down on them at any given moment.

In the Napoli v Roma game I saw in Naples in 2001 not only was this the case but about 10000 Roma fans had a huge metal net draped in front of them ala the netting behind the goals of NHL arenas.I think it was just as much protection for them from Napoli fans throwing stuff their way as Roma fans throwing stuff onto the field.Someone should have netted the whole stadium that day as Totti was being pelted every time he took a corner.It was a miracle that he did not get hit.

It's always going to be a few idiots spoiling it for the rest.In a large crowd there are always going to be brave idiots trying to start something without the fear of getting caught.Unfortuntely this happens too often.

Italy,however is not alone in fan stupidity.How many times have we seen drunken hockey fans throwing beer at players and coaches in Canada,basketball fans getting into fist fights with NBA players in Detroit,the drunk father and son at a Chicago basball game attacking a coach,snowballs raining onto the field at a Cleveland Browns NFL game,the riot on Robson after the Canucks lost the finals in 94.

Inter are lucky that they didn't get worse.If it was a lesser team the punishment would have been double.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

Neither you nor anyone else knows what the intentions of Chris House were. Was he trying to hit Sheffield (doubtful in my opinion)? Was he trying to distract him(probably in my opinion), but I don't know. Either way he was wrong.

You are just spouting an OPINION based on what you think you saw.

Chris House is a jerk for what he did, Sheffield is a jerk for what he did. House could lose his season tickets for his actions. What will happen to Sheffield?

Lose his season tickets? IS that a threat or a promise?

What will happend to Sheffield? Probably nothing. Nor should anything.

quote:

One question for you....do you think anyone would be talking of this if Sheffield had not retaliated?

Probably, though maybe not as much. I mean, even the most restrained baseball player in the world would have still confronted that frat-boy-New-Yorker-wannabe Chris House. At least pointed at him, warn him and wave over security (after throwing the ball to the infield). That would have caused security and Yankee players to accumulate in that corner. So the scenes would have looked pretty much the same regardless, minus the shove of course.

quote:

Man, living in NYC has really biased your opinion of Boston. Relax people in Boston have been criticizing House ever since it happened. During the broadcast on NESN Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo chastised House immediately, but how would you know that???? It is not like you live here.....

I seriously doubt that (many people in Boston are criticizing House). Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo don't speak for the people of Boston.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

snowballs raining onto the field at a Cleveland Browns NFL game

Actually, those were hard beer bottles they were throwing in Cleveland. Thankfully they remove bottlecaps and prohibit glass bottles in stadiums now. Some of the fans I met in the endzone known as the 'Dawg Pound' in Cleveland would fit right in with the idiots from Inter.

Actually that city used to see some pretty rowdy and disruptive fasn at Indians baseball games too many years ago before they cleaned things up. Speaking of baseball, does anyone remember reports of bad fans at Yankee stadium during the 80's? I remember that they sometimes would throw batteries at opposing teams' outfielders.

Anyway, It's a shame that media think this is just a problem with Italian soccer. It's a problem with bad stadium security that can happen anywhere. Just ask NBA fans in Detroit.

And I agree, UEFA's punishment is way too lax. They have to send a strong message so this dangerous behaviour will finally stop. Every true fan hates to see a game ruined by some morons.

Once more-the fans in Detroit threw a bottle/cup, which was wrong. Ron Artest entered the stands and threw punches-more wrong. Stop making thisone instance out to be some sort of trend or reflection on the regular behaviour of the Piston fans. Had Artest not entered the stands, along with O'Neal, then punched another fan for simply looking at him, it neve would have escalated to the level it did.

/sick of people absolving the Pacers of blame when 99% of the riot was down to their actions.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Lose his season tickets? IS that a threat or a promise?

Chris House did lose his season tickets, so I guess it was a promise.

I mean, even the most restrained baseball player in the world would have still confronted that frat-boy-New-Yorker-wannabe Chris House. At least pointed at him, warn him and wave over security (after throwing the ball to the infield).

You are right only a New Yorker or want to be New York would do something that stupid

I seriously doubt that (many people in Boston are criticizing House). Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo don't speak for the people of Boston.

I never said Remy and Orsillo were speaking for the entire city,I was just giving you an example of Boston reaction to the incident. But like I said you don't live here so how would you know? Listen to WEEI streaming audio online and you will get sampling. The calls are about 35% against House. Which is significant when you consider the forum.

I am not arguing the right or wrong of the incident, just that you present your opinion as fact.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

Chris House did lose his season tickets, so I guess it was a promise.

Oh well, he can afford to buy another pair once he moves to New York and gets a job.

quote:

But like I said you don't live here so how would you know? Listen to WEEI streaming audio online and you will get sampling. The calls are about 35% against House.

So 65% approve of House? That would have roughly been my estimate w/o having to live in Boston and ride those crummy street-cars that Bostonians like to refer to as a "subway system". :)

Archived