Italians At It Again (R)

SeanKeay

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DJT

- How many people would give a crap about this if it were just a Serie A match (which, for all intents and purposes, it was)? Not only people here, but especially in the media, where I have seen this incident mentioned in places where soccer is usually an afterthought (except, of course, when problems occur). There have been similar and worse incidents, except most of the time players don't get hit (see first point above).

Lazio also made it on the George Snuffleufaguss show. Still, players being lit on fire typically make the highlights -regardless of the competition.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

- How many people would give a crap about this if it were just a Serie A match (which, for all intents and purposes, it was)? Not only people here, but especially in the media, where I have seen this incident mentioned in places where soccer is usually an afterthought (except, of course, when problems occur). There have been similar and worse incidents, except most of the time players don't get hit (see first point above).

Lazio also made it on the George Snuffleufaguss show. Still, players being lit on fire typically make the highlights -regardless of the competition.

quote:
The Italian fans are animals.What else can you say about people who bring flares to a football match.
quote:

hmm I dunno they wanna make a nice athmospher flares add a great touch to teh party. Like Craig forest said last nite on sportsnet flares are part of the game, its not teh flaresor the Ultras, its teh hooligans. BIG DIFFERANCE

In Italy, is it the same as Argentina, where ultras get free tickets and have control of some of the entrances into the stadium? I must admit some of the announced attendance figures in Italy look underestimated. Not as much as in Argentina where the attendance figures are miles-off the # actually in the stadium, but still a little low.

First of all, I am in no way condoning what happened in Milan.

But to the surprise of some North American sports reporters fan violence is not a soccer specific phenomenon. We have to look no further than last nights Yankees/Red Sox game. A fan throws a punch at Sheffield while he's trying to field a ball near the fence....what's up with that! In the Maritime Junior "A" Hockey league play-offs (I know too local, but it's the only Canadian example that came quickly to mind) this year a fight broke out amongst fans and players during a game in Amherst between Amherst Ramblers and Yarmouth Mariners, where extra police where brought in to seperate.. What about the case of the 13 year old being charged with murder after hitting a 15 year old with a baseball bat after a game in California Wednesday night!

Back to soccer the ref took a hit from a flying object in the latest Edinburgh derby on Wednesday.

I don't know but do ya think sports is being taken way to seriously, by some maybe.

well, the decision has been made: Inter gets away with a slap-on-the-wrist. They'll have to play their next 4 European matches behind closed doors. And AC Milan were handed the second-leg 3-0.

POLISH_FAN: I think you're sugar-coating the Ultras a little-bit. It would be more precise to say that "not all Ultras or even Ultra-groups are violent". But many are (as we saw on Tuesday). How many of those people throwing flares and garbage on the San Siro pitch didn't have their personality molded by some Ultra group? Not many I'd say. [8)]

I'm not trying to flame nationalist debate (because I support nor come from neither) but does anyone think that if this had been an English club the punishment would have been much worse?

Plus, what about UEFA giving credits (don't know in what form) of some type out to clubs that diffuse serious situations. Both Liverpool and Juventus deserve credit for their handling of their Q-final.

Anyways, just points for discussion.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

What a sham, 6 game no fan ban... thats nothing

It's really only 4 (unless they do something else in the next 3 years). In other words, they'll be playing in front of fans for the round of 16 in the CL next season.

BS BS and more BS. 6 games is a joke a huge joke, ok timmy your burned down the kitchn here have a cookie and they we can go shoe shopping. [V]Wisla Krakow got a 1 year ban and a huge fine after one idiot threw a closed pocketknife @ Dinno Baggio. Like someone else said if this was an English team it would have been a lot worse, same goes for a turkish side or a dutch side. Remember when that one dutch side ( that nazi one) got fined for singing, yes singing in an unproper way @ the ref. I wanna watch Seria A fanastics and see what those clows have to say about this

quote:Originally posted by argh1

First of all, I am in no way condoning what happened in Milan.

But to the surprise of some North American sports reporters fan violence is not a soccer specific phenomenon. We have to look no further than last nights Yankees/Red Sox game. A fan throws a punch at Sheffield while he's trying to field a ball near the fence....what's up with that!

I was going to mention that as well. Worse than soccer, here players keep going after the fans as well. Security is increased everywhere after what happened at that basketball game last fall so a guard was quick on the scene, but Sheffield still did try to punch the fan — hilariously, before throwing the ball to the infield! (ie. while the play was still going on) What does that say?!

well, in fairness to Sheffield, that was just a natural human reaction. Most would have done the same. A few seconds later, Sheffield had the opportunity to keep that fan's dentist busy for the next 6 months, but thought better of it.

ARGH1, You forgot the most bizarre recent incident: when those 2 fans jumped-out of the stands and started swinging a knife at a first-base coach. I forget where that was (somewhere out West I believe).

The investigation relating to this Sheffield incident is off to a flying start. Classic Boston-efficiency on display:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8388452

"It's wrong to interfere with a ball in play, but we don't know what (the fan's) intention was," said Charles Steinberg (Boston's executive vice president for public affairs)."

uhhh... Charles, I mean everyone in Boston might believe you when you say the fan might have been going for the ball, but do you think anyone with an IQ over 50 will?

"Steinberg said the team is also looking into the actions of the fan who was holding a beer that spilled during the scuffle. He said he didn't have that person's name and doesn't know if the beer was deliberately thrown at Sheffield or it spilled after he was pushed by other fans. "

So what do you know, Steinberg? Again, it takes a normal person about 5 seconds to see that the beer was spilled *accidentally* by Sheffield. So how long does it take someone from Boston to see that? 24 hours and counting ...

I saw somewhere where the Italian Ass'n will start declaring games a 3-0 forfiet in the future. It's a good start, but maybe deduction of points already achieved might be a better alternative.Same with UEFA CUPS along with this UEFA might want to start making clubs start in the early qualifing rounds if fan interference or violence is proven to take place no matter what the teams place in domestic league is in the previous year. Let's see what kind of fans these are when the club starts losing points or has to start thier Euro campaign against the San Marino champion in July. With no home games at all and all broadcast revenue goes to your opponents for the entire length of the next years Euro season. Let's have fan actions directly affect the team's standings and revenues. Then we'll see if these are fans or not.

EDIT: Question though, are the liablity assurance laws that different in some countries that flares are permitted. Given the chances of injury to patrons? Can you imagine the premiums for assurance at say.......ahhh.....Commonwealth with last years Eskimos avg of 40,000. If a patron got third degree burns from a tossed flare. To say nothing of the law suit, if the owners/operators of that venue were deemed negligent in providing a safe enviornment.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

The investigation relating to this Sheffield incident is off to a flying start. Classic Boston-efficiency on display:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8388452

"It's wrong to interfere with a ball in play, but we don't know what (the fan's) intention was," said Charles Steinberg (Boston's executive vice president for public affairs)."

uhhh... Charles, I mean everyone in Boston might believe you when you say the fan might have been going for the ball, but do you think anyone with an IQ over 50 will?

"Steinberg said the team is also looking into the actions of the fan who was holding a beer that spilled during the scuffle. He said he didn't have that person's name and doesn't know if the beer was deliberately thrown at Sheffield or it spilled after he was pushed by other fans. "

So what do you know, Steinberg? Again, it takes a normal person about 5 seconds to see that the beer was spilled *accidentally* by Sheffield. So how long does it take someone from Boston to see that? 24 hours and counting ...

Neither you nor anyone else knows what the intentions of Chris House were. Was he trying to hit Sheffield (doubtful in my opinion)? Was he trying to distract him(probably in my opinion), but I don't know. Either way he was wrong.

You are just spouting an OPINION based on what you think you saw.

Chris House is a jerk for what he did, Sheffield is a jerk for what he did. House could lose his season tickets for his actions. What will happen to Sheffield?

One question for you....do you think anyone would be talking of this if Sheffield had not retaliated? I am not saying Sheffield is to blame, but I think that no one would care otherwise.

Man, living in NYC has really biased your opinion of Boston. Relax people in Boston have been criticizing House ever since it happened. During the broadcast on NESN Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo chastised House immediately, but how would you know that???? It is not like you live here.....

In the Maritime Junior "A" Hockey league play-offs (I know too local, but it's the only Canadian example that came quickly to mind) this year a fight broke out amongst fans and players during a game in Amherst between Amherst Ramblers and Yarmouth Mariners, where extra police where brought in to seperate..

looks like charges from that ???

http://www.amherstdaily.com/news.aspx?storyID=32831

some photos of what happened-

http://community.webshots.com/album/296810341fyPyQZ/2

In the Maritime Junior "A" Hockey league play-offs (I know too local, but it's the only Canadian example that came quickly to mind) this year a fight broke out amongst fans and players during a game in Amherst between Amherst Ramblers and Yarmouth Mariners, where extra police where brought in to seperate..

looks like charges from that ???

http://www.amherstdaily.com/news.aspx?storyID=32831

some photos of what happened-

http://community.webshots.com/album/296810341fyPyQZ/2

Archived