NHL: 20 teams in the playoffs next season?

Daniel

Hmmm... am I the only one that thinks that this makes the regular season more meaningful? I mean, ask yourself, who would find the current NHL format the most boring? Answer: fans of the really good teams (Eg. Ottawa), because from beginning of October we knew that they'd be a top 8 team in the conference. Now these great teams will have something to play for in the regular season, since the best-of-3 is the last thing that they would want to get involved in.

I think I changed my mind about this when this morning I heard that the top two teams from each division will get automatic entry. So if your Atlanta and get 75 points in a crappy division and finish second, your in with the sixth seed and a team like Toronto or Ottawa finishes third with 95 points has to have a play in. I dont like that idea, I never really liked the idea of having the first place finishers get top three.

Other than that, I think this play in round will be good for the game. I think we can all say the NHL needs something different to keep it alive in the U.S., it gives all teams hope and also puts more fans in the stands.

i think there should be an "A" Cup and a "B" Cup. if the league can't be tiered, at least it can have two post-season cups. that would keep EVERy team interested, and the team that wins the "B" cup would have extra impetus and confidence for the next season. confidence goes A LONG ways.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

I think I changed my mind about this when this morning I heard that the top two teams from each division will get automatic entry.

Yeah, I change my mind now too then. Even for the NHL that is some stupid qualifier that they've dreamed-up ("needing to be top 2 in your division").

For the life of me I can't figure out what the point is in having divisions at all.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yeah, I change my mind now too then. Even for the NHL that is some stupid qualifier that they've dreamed-up ("needing to be top 2 in your division").

For the life of me I can't figure out what the point is in having divisions at all.

To encourage regional rivalries and exciting games. I want more games against the Leafs than I do against the Devils.

I just want them to actually play next season.....I was watching one of those all Toronto sports talk shows. They think Crosby should be able to sign with the Make Beliefs as free agent as it's the only team that can afford him....hahahaha. Personally I think since he plays in the Q Les Habs should automatically have first signing rights ;)

Topic of discussion. The NHL is gonna have to do sumthin' to bring back fans especially in southern markets so this idea seems like a good marketing ploy. The NHL can't afford the decade it took MLB to recover. So anything to bring fans of lesser teams back in is what they'll do.

I just want them to actually play next season.....I was watching one of those all Toronto sports talk shows. They think Crosby should be able to sign with the Make Beliefs as free agent as it's the only team that can afford him....hahahaha. Personally I think since he plays in the Q Les Habs should automatically have first signing rights ;)

Topic of discussion. The NHL is gonna have to do sumthin' to bring back fans especially in southern markets so this idea seems like a good marketing ploy. The NHL can't afford the decade it took MLB to recover. So anything to bring fans of lesser teams back in is what they'll do.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

To encourage regional rivalries and exciting games. I want more games against the Leafs than I do against the Devils.

Divisions don't "encourage" rivalries in any sport except possibly the NFL (and that's just because that usually teams in different divisions never play each other). Think about it with examples of rivalries in every sport: All of them were either just as strong before divisions existed OR only got strong through playoff-encounters and/or their geographical proximity.

As far as "more games against the Leafs than the Devils" is concerned, the schedule is pretty balanced. What is it, 5 games vs. division opponents and 4 vs. non-division opponents? Something like that. Anyway, one extra game against the Leafs is hardly worth the sacrafice of a fair and semi-meaningful/semi-interesting regular season, is it?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Divisions don't "encourage" rivalries in any sport except possibly the NFL (and that's just because that usually teams in different divisions never play each other). Think about it with examples of rivalries in every sport: All of them were either just as strong before divisions existed OR only got strong through playoff-encounters and/or their geographical proximity.

As far as "more games against the Leafs than the Devils" is concerned, the schedule is pretty balanced. What is it, 5 games vs. division opponents and 4 vs. non-division opponents? Something like that. Anyway, one extra game against the Leafs is hardly worth the sacrafice of a fair and semi-meaningful/semi-interesting regular season, is it?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

make it like soccer. one league table, 2 games each. maybe make it 4 games each.

Ever since I became a soccer fan I have been unable to be truly satisfied with any other system. They're all so gimicky.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I ...I was watching one of those all Toronto sports talk shows. They think Crosby should be able to sign with the Make Beliefs as free agent as it's the only team that can afford him....hahahaha. Personally I think since he plays in the Q Les Habs should automatically have first signing rights ;)

Interesting, that you raised this point. On my drive in to Montreal on easter long weekend, I flipped the dial to one the french language sports talk shows and guess what the topic of the day was?

You guessed it. the host was discussing/suggesting and asking callers to comment on the Crosby to the Habs rumour. He felt that, since Crosby had demonstated that the Habs were his favourite NHL team, that Gainey should ignore the NHL draft and sign Crosby. Then let the courts decide.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by DJT

Ever since I became a soccer fan I have been unable to be truly satisfied with any other system. They're all so gimicky.

Completely agree. What other major professional sport in the world has serious drama and implications at both the TOP and the BOTTOM of the table.

Surely following the Penguins or Washington would've been far more entertaining with the threat of being demoted to the AHL... instead, I stopped caring about their effect on the league quite early.

Archived