Impact cut Wyn Belotte

Daniel

All I can say is.....well what a WASTE!!! I think Daniel got it right. He obviously feels he deserves playing time, without actually earning it. In the situation that he's in, it would have been wise to accept a secondary role, and gradually work himself into a better position with the club. I think he never gave himself a shot, first off he wasn't in the best shape possible, and secondly he acted like he was better then anyone on the squad. The kid is talented, and he has played in europe, but a stint with a low level Swedish club is not exactly boasting material.

Lets examine is options;

1) Try to catch on with another A-league club....possible, but its getting late

2)Sit at home, and wait for a phone call from Europe.....He's gonna wait a long time.

3)Play with the Laval team in the CPSL....This is my guess.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

....... and to think four short years ago Wyn was named best player in U17 WC Qualifying in St. Louis over a young American striker named Eddie Johnson.

Ouch!! Wasn't Belotte also with Legia Warsaw or another Polish team for awhile, only making it up to the Reserves?

There's nothing more dangerous than a Canadian soccer player with a sense of entitlement. Enjoy a life of semi pro soccer and living with your parents.

Funny that Anelka came up -- didn't Wyn once say that he wanted to be like Thierry Henry?

This whole thing started when he chose to leave Nantes at 17 years old because he wanted to play on a first team instead of a youth team. I thought it was a crazy decision at the time, but had to give him a chance. Now I know that not only was it a crazy decision, but it was just reflective of his overall attitude that hasn't changed. Sweden, Poland, Montreal (did I miss something in there?)... you'd think he'd eventually realize that he is the one with the problem. But if he does end up in the CPSL, I think it will only get worse, at least for the first while.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

....... and to think four short years ago Wyn was named best player in U17 WC Qualifying in St. Louis over a young American striker named Eddie Johnson.

As I have said before in this forum, it takes more than simply being able to play soccer to hack it and stick at the pro level.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

As I have said before in this forum, it takes more than simply being able to play soccer to hack it and stick at the pro level.

Undoubtedly.

Still, I can't help but bemoan the fact that the first time I saw him was when Lenarduzzi was proclaiming that Belotte could slip on a Brazil jersey and not look out of place, and I agreed with him.

Back then it looked like he was a far better prospect than (the awesome-in-his-own-right) Iain Hume, so its a real shame at what he amounted to, and why. Especially when you look at the impact EJ has had on the US nats over the past few months.

I still believe Belotte is the most talented prospect we've seen in a generation, if only he had the guile and workmanship of his peers such as Hume and Simpson, he'd probably already be starting for the Canadian MNT and making an impact (no pun intended) like Johnson is for our neighbours to the south.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

Wisla Krakow reserves. According to the reports of fans on fan websites he was horrbile

so what exactly did he do, or WHERE did he show what he could do, that justified all the hype?!? (ie did he score tonnes of goals somewhere)

sounds like he sucked everywhere he went!

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

so what exactly did he do, or WHERE did he show what he could do, that justified all the hype?!? (ie did he score tonnes of goals somewhere)

sounds like he sucked everywhere he went!

He was a standout on the Canadian U-17 team and, on the basis of this, earned a callup to the U-20 team that competed in the WYC in Argentina in 2001. He was used as a sub for the U-20 team and looked very dangerous - he showed great touch on the ball skinned a few defenders. This was not the sort of thing we're used to seeing from workmanlike Canadian strikers and we all got very excited about this young 17-year old.

A few weeks later, Belotte was picked for the U-23 team that represented Canada at the Francophone Games here in Ottawa. This team was essentially the U-20s minus the guys like DeGuzman and Hume who had to return to their clubs in Europe for training. The European guys were replaced by some North American-based U-23s like Alfredo Valente and Sean Fraser. Again, Belotte was used as a super sub and had some very exciting performances (especially against France in the 2nd round). It was around this time that he decided he was ready for first team football and quit his club in France and it's been downhill for him ever since.

quote:Originally posted by Kelly

he's just the lastest Validmir Edourd. The Haitian flash in the pan.

That's kind of a cheap shot. Many top Quebec players are Haitian and it's just a numbers question if some don't make it to a certain level. Bernier and Occéan went the NCAA route and are playing top-tier football in Norway. Edouard is a career A-Leaguer and played for the Haitian national team, still more than Wyn so far.

It's all about mental strength and right now it seems to be Wyn's greatest weakness.

Daniel:

I am sure that Kelly can speak for himself but I am not sure that his observation is quite the "cheap shot" that you have characterized it as.

Admittedly, the part of the comment referencing his ancestry [i do not know him so I do not know his family background] probably ought to have been left off as his failure to develop has nothing to do with where his family may have originated and for some of the other reasons you indicated.

However, as I have read about Wyn Belotte I too have thought of Vladimir Edouard. So much promise at the youth level but so little production higher up. I do not put much "stock" in the latter having played with Haiti. Was that not until after he had repeatedly "burned his bridges" locally?

Such a shame. Hopefully Belotte can turn it around but doubt that that appears likely. However, you are closer to the Montreal scene than I am. Again I do not know him, but have we not all played with players who show much promise but in the end the adage of "million dollar legs and a 10 cent brain" applies...and that can be the same regardless of creed, colour and sport.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

That's kind of a cheap shot. Many top Quebec players are Haitian and it's just a numbers question if some don't make it to a certain level. Bernier and Occéan went the NCAA route and are playing top-tier football in Norway. Edouard is a career A-Leaguer and played for the Haitian national team, still more than Wyn so far.

It's all about mental strength and right now it seems to be Wyn's greatest weakness.

Ah yes. Had I said "Hardgieves- The Whelsh Looker" would that have been a cheap shot. For years Edouard was the choosen one of Quebec Soccer. And like Hardgrieves, he choose to play for another country- A country that isn't a Olympic powerhouse. He gets no free ride.

Hense the Haitian reference. Danny you're the only one associating Haitians with something neagative and racial disguised as being PC.

And like Wyn, Vlad started high in Poland, did Isreal, did Romania and god knows where else, and finally rode the bench in the CPSL for Laval.

How many games did he actually play in the A-league? Certainly not eough to be called a "career" a-league player.

Hense He simply an older Wyn. All talent. No heart and Lazy. And I'd say same thing about him if he was Scottish.

I think the comparison with Vladimir is a fair one. Although given the choice in raw talent I would pick Wyn over Vladimir any day of the week. I had the chance to see both players, here in Quebec and I could tell you that as 17 year old Wyn was outstanding. As far as Vladimir, I could remember both he and Josue Maynard (sp?) as a striking tandem with the Impact in 1998, and they were scoring at a regular pace. The aftermath was trials and bench time with MLS sides, and it was down hill from there.

As was mentioned by Richard ,it takes more then brute talent to become a professional player. There is always going to be someone who is just a bit faster, or stronger then you. In order to have success, you have to have a strong head on your shoulders, and be fit mentally to overcome any obstacle. We've been blessed in Montreal to have the previlage of seeing some outstanding Haitian Canadian Talent the likes of Arthur Calixte, Pierre Richard Thomas, Rudy Doliscat, etc. These and other Hatian Canadians mentioned early, all had interesting and long lasting careers in Canadian Soccer. It would be interesting if any of these players can have a sit down, if not to mention a reality chexk with Wyn, in an effort to bring them back to earth so too speak. Would he listen....well hard to say, but its worth a chance.

Archived