CSA Development

quote:Originally posted by footyfanatic01

What do you guys think of the recent development of Canadian Soccer? I'm not talking about the WC team but more so as the U-16 + age group. Will we qualify for WC in 2010? Will we ever be a quality side, maybe in a couple of years?? Post what you like.

Canada is making great strides at the youth level of the game, but at at the senior level we all know the score on that. there's no chance of a world cup appearence in 2010, you looking at 2018 at the earliest.

My answer is NO.

Until such time as the CSA is disbanded and soccer is run by a Federation with people elected by Clubs from a country wide First Division league, we ain't going nowhere in mens. The women side will continue its present level of success as it is a program basically run by only two people, Pellerud and Bridge. The CSA only runs interference and appropriates any monetary savings Pellerud accrues. The women will move upwards from their 11th place if the CSA were to let the women keep money they save.

Yes we are getting better. We have to be getting better. We have many more full-time and part-time paid coaches working for Clubs now than we had 10 years ago. That may explain why our U20s have done well the last couple years.

I don't agree that our u17s did well in the Italy tournament, but that may be an exception.

Our competition is also getting better. Our world ranking shows they may be improving at a rate equal to ours. We've still got a long way to go. Ricardo's post in the thread about the 88s and 89s is quite good where he points out that in some countries, coaches have to be trained for 2-3 years before they get their A licence. A coach in Canada can get a CSA licence with as little as 30 days of training. We've still got a long way to go.

Unless licensing in Canada has changed, one cannot get an "A" license in 30 days. There is a requirement for certification at each level where the coach must coach at a high level for at least a year. So since there are 3 levels, you will need 3 years minimum. Now if you have friends in the CSA, yeah you can get any license in any amount of time.

That is the practical side. You still need to pass the technical and theory exams. Community Coach and Community Coach Senior have very lenient requirements. But those levels are pre-requisites for the licensing program.

Ref

I agree with your sentiment that things in Canada are lenient.

You can get a CSA licence with less than 30 days of training, but the training will have to be spread out.

The Community coach youth and senior courses are 2.5 days each. From there you go to the B prep which is 4 days, and from there to the B provincial and from there to the B National and then the A National.

If you have played at a high level you can get lots of exemptions.

In BC you can get the Community Coach Senior and the B Prep togther in 4.5 days at Shawnigan Lake, instead of spending 6.5 days when taken separately.

The standards here are low compared to some other countries, as mentioned by Ricardo.

Our coaching certification is somewhat different than compared to the USSF. Has anyone taken higher level USSF licenses? I've heard they are quit good and the facilities are excellent. How does the USSF b-license compare to the CSA B? Any feedback from someone who has undergone licensing at both levels.

Archived