2007, Victoria withdrawing : truth or rumour ?

Bxl Boy

I have no idea but I would be surprise if they do it to favorize Vancouver bid. It seems to me that Vancouver is almost certain to get a group for the WYC with Montreal and Ottawa. And Victoria would be a plausible 4th choice.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Someone (confidential source) told me today Victoria would withdrawn their bid for 2007 in order to favorize Vancouver's bid

I just want to verify here, the best place to know, if he's right or if it's a totally unfounded rumour

Seems unlikely for several reasons. First, the organizing committee has already got commitments from local clubs for selling tickets. Second, there is no competition with Vancouver, from this side they are complimentary not competing bids. Thirdly, they have a strong bid and key partnerships with local organizations.

Wishful thinking I would suspect, but then, I have not spoken to my source on the bid committee in over a week.

Realistically Vancouver was always a lock. With Edmonton the only other western venue Victoria provides East-West balance, a proven track record of hosting FIFA events and a nice grouping with Vancouver for easy access for swapping cities after (or during) the group stage.

My only complaint is that they want to use Centennial rather than doing something bold that provides a legacy like Kerfoot's planned stadium in Vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by ted

My only complaint is that they want to use Centennial rather than doing something bold that provides a legacy like Kerfoot's planned stadium in Vancouver.

I too would like to see a legacy soccer facility in Victoria, but the only legacy I can see would be debt (unless you are referring to the refurbishing of Royal Atheletic Park with temporary seating). We can't even build a reasonably sized arena in Vic (7000 including floor seating - what a joke. It is smaller than Kamloops' arena), never mind a soccer facility. I just dont think we have the population, interest or money. Leave the stadiums to Vancouver. JMO.

Royal Athletic all the way...

There are enough fans in Vic. Good fans, knowlegable fans...maybe even a been snobby...which is why they need something better that the current Centennial or RAP. I'd section off the baseball diamond with a giant wall (like green monster) and have a second grandstand on the other side of the current one. What a sweet park that would be!

Talking about rumors? what about if Vancouver is in trouble and are trying to divert attention. They are asking for money all around and promissing the world in return. I think Kevin Pipe is not happy at all with past problems with Vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

There are enough fans in Vic. Good fans, knowlegable fans...maybe even a been snobby...which is why they need something better that the current Centennial or RAP. I'd section off the baseball diamond with a giant wall (like green monster) and have a second grandstand on the other side of the current one. What a sweet park that would be!

That's what I dream of. I also see a soccer-themed pub operating in the south-east corner which would include a couple of coprorate suites and above a patio from which to watch the games. The pub would also provide ongoing revenue to support park operations. As well I would mount a new scoreboard on a pivot and wheels at the north-west corner of the park which could be swung out for soccer games and then swung back against the north fence for baseball/softball.

Hi Paddy! - I would like to see RAP refurbished to a capacity of 7-8K permanent and the rest temp for the tournament. That would be a real legacy from the biggest soccer tournament ever to happen in Canada. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

That's what I dream of. I also see a soccer-themed pub operating in the south-east corner which would include a couple of coprorate suites and above a patio from which to watch the games. The pub would also provide ongoing revenue to support park operations. As well I would mount a new scoreboard on a pivot and wheels at the north-west corner of the park which could be swung out for soccer games and then swung back against the north fence for baseball/softball.

Hi Paddy! - I would like to see RAP refurbished to a capacity of 7-8K permanent and the rest temp for the tournament. That would be a real legacy from the biggest soccer tournament ever to happen in Canada. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by ted

I too would like to see that, but I just don’t think it is sustainable. The pub would be a great idea, but were does the rest of the revenue come from. I have a feeling that if it was built that no matter where I sat in the 7-8k seating that I would be able to spot you due to poor attendance. After the WYC, what would it be used for? I guess the Beach Boys could be invited back again, but one night of mediocre entertainment won't pay for maintenance and upkeep. Also, what happens to the baseball field? Do we put the stands on rail tracks so that they can be rolled out of the way?

I am all for it, I just doubt the rest of Victoria is.

According to the results of the Support your City online poll on the CSA website, as of April 7 the results bar chart shows Vancouver way ahead followed by Victoria, Montreal, Edmonton then a close tie between Ottawa and Quebec City. Not sure to what extent this shows real public opinion or the effectiveness of the local bid committees to get people to vote ;)

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Maybe not a very representative poll but it does perhaps indicate a much higher level of interest in BC.

Or that it is the place where the only recent press conference to "bring out the vote" was held...

Archived