toronto fans don't see the a-league as pro

If that's what they think of the USL imagine what their view of the Canadian Professional Soccer league must be ;)

Rather reinforces my point in another thread the CPSL name is a misnomer and probably does their marketing image more harm than good. Most people find misleading advertising to be objectionable.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

If that's what they think of the USL imagine what their view of the Canadian Professional Soccer league must be ;)

Rather reinforces my point in another thread the CPSL name is a misnomer and probably does their marketing image more harm than good. Most people find misleading advertising to be objectionable.

Actually most people find you misleading and objectionable; your constant attempts at elevating your PCSL as a league equal to or better than the CPSL. Give it up Mr. PCSL, it's not even the highest amateur level of play in the Vancouver area according to residents of the board who are from BC.

The constant barrage of BS coming from you concerning the CPSL doesn't make your league look better, quite the contrary Mr. PCSL.

Yes, a lot of people here have that view of the A-league. This is why many in Toronto have been posting our view that the poor crowds of the Lynx are not really indicative of how an MLS team might do (though there are other factors as well, namely promotion, facility & media coverage, to list but a few).

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

That is just a wrong way of thinking .Ya we have a pro team but we don't want to support this level we want the big time brutel just brutel.

That's partially true but the lack of marketing of the current team has a lot to do with the lack of support. Many don't even know the team exists but even if they did, A-League wouldn't attract them to Centennial.

db

quote:Originally posted by Richard

No arguments from me.

db

quote:Originally posted by T5

Actually most people find you misleading and objectionable; your constant attempts at elevating your PCSL as a league equal to or better than the CPSL. Give it up Mr. PCSL, it's not even the highest amateur level of play in the Vancouver area according to residents of the board who are from BC.

The constant barrage of BS coming from you concerning the CPSL doesn't make your league look better, quite the contrary Mr. PCSL.

So now you presume to speak for 'most people'?

I won't presume to speak for anybody else but I find your attitude abrasive, rude, unpleasant and a discredit to the Voyageurs never mind the game of soccer.

Perhaps you could provide links to posts of mine where I have made any claims about the PCSL being superior to the VMSL, the CPSL or any other league before you continue with this line of personal abuse.

I support the CPSL as a regional league just as I support the PCSL, the Alberta league and any other intercity regional league. My only objection is to organisations misrepresenting themselves overtly or by implication.

Oh, and if you don't enjoy PCSL games why do you bother to attend any? Clearly you do otherwise you don't know what you're talking about and surely that's not the case? Putting any league down the way you do the PCSL does nothing for the game you profess to love so much.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

The key to any sport is marketing. If the people don't know about it, they can't care about it, be interested in it and certainly not show up in droves.

I look at the Lynx as a second-rate organization. They do little to nothing to promote themselves in any positive light (have you seen their promotional nights... ideas so bad, I'd rather not see them have any at all). I also look at Vancouver and Montreal and marvel at their success.

Toronto doesn't do well with anything that resembles "minor league", and the Lynx ooze minor league. The baby Leafs/Marlies will not survive in Toronto by making money, as much as it will survive by MLSE either (a) pumping money into the operation to keep it afloat or (B) waiting for a large-ish city to lose their OHL team and relocate their club there where interest in the Leafs brand would be enough to draw great crowds (sadly, Hamilton would be a perfect fit).

The MLSE cannot do any wrong right now. If and when they get their MLS club, they will throw their support behind the team with their marketing clout and they will draw crowds of +10,000. If the Hartrells owned the MLS club (heavens forbid), they would be luck to double what they get now.

Also, Toronto is very image conscious. The Leafs can get away with charging rediculous prices for the top seats, but Leaf games are the place to be... it's where you show off your wealth, take potential clients, or just be seen with the money men of the city. When the Jays were winning, you couldn't buy a ticket...

I like the CPSL. I like the USL. I know the USL has been doing a very good job promoting itself, but hasn't had as many owners to step up and work at getting a fan base. The CPSL... OK, I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but the level of play CANNOT be that far off that of any USL side.

If the Lynx can ever do something that isn't the bare minimum for promotion and advertising, then they might shed the minor-league stigma and they might draw over 3000 people per match.

I suspect with the rationalisation that the USL undertook prior to this season the standards on and off the field will rise on average. As for cheesy theme nights, the Whitecaps have been inclined to do it too sometimes plus they have the obligatory pesky mascot too. Seems to irritate the hardcore soccer fans but they are the minority - most folks at the games seem to enjoy it all.

I agree that if MLSE do get their MLS franchise they will put all they have into putting people into the seats, and that's a lot of proven marketing expertise and hard cash.

Like most adjacent leagues, I expect the better USL D2 clubs (CPSL equivalent) could have a good shot at beating a D1 team on any given night.

Over on the big soccer board there are some toronto people saying all the mls games would be sold out in minutes there are dieing for pro soccer.The question must be asked waht is the a-league i thought that was pro soccer.

And over on the Bigsoccer board the Portuguese section is full of people from Toronto who were referring to Portugal as "we" when they played Canada. Hmmmm...

Richard: "I find your attitude abrasive, rude, unpleasant"

If you persist in attacking the CPSL or any other league with the intention of discrediting them on this board without what I believe is reasonable justification, expect such attitude Mr. PCSL.

If you persist in attacking the CPSL or any other league with the intention of discrediting them on this board without what I believe is reasonable justification, expect such attitude Mr. PCSL.

I have had disagreements with Richard but at least I had my facts straight.

Could you please list which posts of Richard's could be categorized as "attacking the CPSL"? I think you will find no such posts attacking the quality/level of play in the CPSL, nor will you find him making negative comments about the league officials or clubs.

You have the wrong guy. Richard has never, that I have seen, attempted to discredit the CPSL. Perhaps you are thinking of someone else. Perhaps even me?

I believe that the PCSL and CPSL are roughly EQUIVALENT in terms of quality/level of play but that is only a belief and is entirely based on circumstantial evidence. They have access to the same level of players (local amateurs, college students) and they both have USL1 teams above them actually paying people to play. Both leagues also appear to draw about the same number of spectators and neither league has a clear advantage in numbers of players who have "moved up" to play for professional clubs in N. America or Europe.

I also fault the CPSL for misrepresenting their product as "professional" when clearly they are not now and never have been, a "professional" league by any accepted definition of the word. It has nothing to do with quality of play or who is better than whom, they simply have not been a league in which the players are paid for their services.

As for the VMSL comparison, I cannot say. The potential is certainly there as the PCSL can draw on the best of the VMSL to play teams from outside the VMSL area as the PCSL is much larger than that. Here in Victoria we try to sign the best of the VISL and returning college students to create a kind of Lower Island rep team. I don't know what the teams in the Lower Mainland do.

Please provide links to posts where I have 'attacked' the CPSL or any other league with what you perceive as an intention to discredit, otherwise kindly cease and desist with your groundless personal attacks of me, from behind the anonymity of a pseudonym what is more.

I do willingly plead guilty of being critical of the CPSL holding itself up as a 'professional' league. This is because I believe they are harming their image from a marketing standpoint as most people see them for what they really are, not what they call themselves or what they'd like to be in the future. In every other respect I support the CPSL 100% for striving to be the best they can.

Thank you for the honorific 'Mr. PCSL', it is indeed quite flattering but is equally applicable to a large number of people who work hard and put in many hours to make the PCSL as successful as it is.

And Premiership and Serie A games would sell out in Brandon, Manitoba, too.

Bottom line is that this is the best football that there is in this country. So they should like it or lum it. From the sounds of it, they are choosing the latter.

quote:Originally posted by ted

I believe that the PCSL and CPSL are roughly EQUIVALENT in terms of quality/level of play but that is only a belief and is entirely based on circumstantial evidence.

PCSL representatives have attended CPSL games on occasion and their observations bear out your own sense of overall equivalence Ted. This was further confirmed when Vince Ursini, former president of the CPSL, visited Vancouver in 2003 seeking to forge an alliance between the PCSL and CPSL. He attended several PCSL games at that time and made similar observations.

mehh...the PCSL sucksss;)

I really dont care what league is better(even tho we all no the CPSL is since Hamilton plays there), aslong as both league progress and get better in the important thing.

Also, the CPSL is a pro league...well over half of the players do get some money for playing. I no its not much, but that doesnt mean they dont get any.

Pro just does not mean players are paid it aslo means the league is ran in a pro manner and the team witch i am sorry the cpsl does not fall under this.

Exactly. Just because you want to be professional and just because you call yourself professional does not make it so.

The CPSL really does need to understand this reality and when they do, perhaps they will have turned the corner.

db

Archived