April 2 Friendly: UVic vs. Vancouver Whitecaps [R]

Richard

UVic give Whitecaps a run for their money

It was a windy and cool night at UVic's Centennial Stadium but that did not dampen the spirit of the 2100-plus crowd that was on hand to witness a great soccer match between the University of Victoria Vikes and the Vancouver Whitecaps. The Canadian Interuniversity Sport Champion Vikes definitely did not roll over against their professional counterparts from the United Soccer Leagues top division but the Whitecaps were able to squeak away with a 1-0 victory.

"This was a fantastic response from Victoria," said Whitecaps Director of Soccer Operations Bobby Lenarduzzi. "The Vikes were very competitive and we were fortunate to win."

http://vikes.uvic.ca/news/release.php?display=release&id=680

Maybe this will help answer those with questions about the standard of play in the CIS versus other leagues.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

It was a windy and cool night at UVic's Centennial Stadium but that did not dampen the spirit of the 2100-plus crowd that was on hand to witness a great soccer match between the University of Victoria Vikes and the Vancouver Whitecaps. The Canadian Interuniversity Sport Champion Vikes definitely did not roll over against their professional counterparts from the United Soccer Leagues top division but the Whitecaps were able to squeak away with a 1-0 victory.

"This was a fantastic response from Victoria," said Whitecaps Director of Soccer Operations Bobby Lenarduzzi. "The Vikes were very competitive and we were fortunate to win."

http://vikes.uvic.ca/news/release.php?display=release&id=680

Maybe this will help answer those with questions about the standard of play in the CIS versus other leagues.

Or, it could just say something about the USL or the Whitecaps.

1-0 result. I was expecting the Caps to score a few goals, since the team has been practicing since Xmas.

Former Cap Johnny Sulentic played today in an Imperial Cup semi-final game and led his team to a 4-1 victory.

In the other semi-final match, former Caps Tiernan King and Carmen Donofrio lost 4-2. National U20 player Tyler Rosenlund played well in a losing cause.

The Canadian Interuniversity Sport Champion Vikes definitely did not roll over against their professional counterparts from the United Soccer Leagues top division but the Whitecaps were able to squeak away with a 1-0 victory.

Hey B&W there was a pic in Sundays Victoria Times Colonist (lots of Victoria TV coverage as well)

Richard, it doesn't sound to me like you were at the game. UVIC was lucky to have not been down 3-0 at half time. The only reason they weren't was because of Whitecap Property and man of the match GK Trevor Stiles. He robbed Carlo twice, and stopped Jake Sagare in cold.

At the other end Mike Franks might have touched the ball twice and this was the CIAU Champion team.

In the second half, it was all substitution and again the Whitecaps should have done better. Joe Gjertson and Tino Cucca had good chances but were again robbed by Stiles.

The corner count was about 11-2 in favour of the Whitecaps.

I alway love it when people make assumptions based on scores.

T5, as far as you're concerned it might as well say something about dogs baying at the moon.

Judging from Richard's reaction it seems what I said cut a little too close to the quick.

Pretending the CIS are something that they clearly are not is pretentious, but that doesn't stop Mr. PSCL from dishing out the BS.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Hey B&W there was a pic in Sundays Victoria Times Colonist (lots of Victoria TV coverage as well)

Richard, it doesn't sound to me like you were at the game. UVIC was lucky to have not been down 3-0 at half time. The only reason they weren't was because of Whitecap Property and man of the match GK Trevor Stiles. He robbed Carlo twice, and stopped Jake Sagare in cold.

At the other end Mike Franks might have touched the ball twice and this was the CIAU Champion team.

In the second half, it was all substitution and again the Whitecaps should have done better. Joe Gjertson and Tino Cucca had good chances but were again robbed by Stiles.

The corner count was about 11-2 in favour of the Whitecaps.

Correct, I was not at the game, I posted from and linked to a report on the UVic website and my comment was entirely non-committal with no assumptions made. Read it again, it's all in your head.

quote:Originally posted by T5

Judging from Richard's reaction it seems what I said cut a little too close to the quick.

Pretending the CIS are something that they clearly are not is pretentious, but that doesn't stop Mr. PSCL from dishing out the BS.

I pretended nothing. My comment was non-committal, maybe you should read it again too.

why is Sulentic an ex-cap???

don't take too much from a 1-0 result. the caps only beat abbotsford rangers 2-1 preseason 2 years ago, do you think the rangers could realistically challenge for a top spot in the a-league? NO. it's pre-season. lazio won pre-seaon games 30+ to 0 a few years ago.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

why is Sulentic an ex-cap???

Sulentic said he wouldn't sign because he's going to try playing in Germany. A Cap player told me the new coach treated Sulentic very rudely in practices, therefore Sulentic may have quit because of the treatment he received. Another source told me that Sulentic wants to be paid the same as Nash and Corazzin. His 4 goal performance in yesterday's game shows that he is the best attacking player around.

[snip]

Well, actually the score said a lot from where I sat. I saw a pro team that couldn't finish to save their lives. I saw Will Moore and Jag Sajan hold their own against the pros pretty well.

The score should have been higher but frankly after the whole first half being almost one-way traffic and only a single goal from a set play I would be worried if I was a Caps supporter. :D

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Pics, anyone?

Sorry, the floodlights are so antiquated that pics are virtually impossible at night at Centennial stadium. I spoke with a freelance photographer up there for one of the FIFA tournaments and even with professional equipment he wouldn't even try to take photos of the night games.

The description of this match sounds quite similar to the description of the Lynx vs. U of T match, which ended "only" 2-0 but was one-way traffic as well.

I agree with the comment that you can't read much into matches such as these (well, friendlies in general). Remember when the Calgary Storm PDL team beat both the Whitecaps and the Lynx as they dominated in the PDL that season? I remember the debates that arose between Calgary fans and others back then! And then look what happened when they entered the A-League the next season.

quote:Originally posted by ted

Sorry, the floodlights are so antiquated that pics are virtually impossible at night at Centennial stadium. I spoke with a freelance photographer up there for one of the FIFA tournaments and even with professional equipment he wouldn't even try to take photos of the night games.

There were 2 pics on the Whitecaps Website yesterday...

There were 2 pics on the Whitecaps Website yesterday...

Couldn't find them today. I'm glad someone got something. What kind of quality were they?

I can't be bothered since anything I take turns out very poorly and needs a lot of photoshopping to make it at all useful (and still not suitable for publication.) :)

Archived