sound familiar (re: USA v Guatemala attendance)

snake

I emmigrated from England and i do support them when they are playing and my first love is Portsmouth Fc where i came from.

The thing is this does not stop me supporting Canada, i was well happy with the result against NI.

I supported both england and canada at the rugby and cricket world cups.

i wait for the day the mustangs reappear so i can go watch them again.

The flames are my team in the nhl and always will be.I have benefitted from the move because i have so many more options now.

I feel that this is the right thing for me now ,twice the fun or pain i guess.

win lose or draw your team is your team.

I think the fact that soccer in this country is NOW shown correctly ( but--for long?) sans any ads, despite "JAYWAY" 's wishes, means that Canadians can view the sport as it's meant to be viewed, thereby hopefully attracting the attention of new fans.

quote:Originally posted by elricko

--HELLO--your league is shut down-first time ever--thank god whiney Linden won't be back ( hopefully).You put your faith of Canadian culture into this mickey-mouse declining past-time--surely all these facts just prove my point that there IS something else out there besides hockey--because that's almost GONE!

true, the real sad and stupid thing about sports in Canada is that hockey is supposed to be our national game and yet look at the state of hockey.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

true, the real sad and stupid thing about sports in Canada is that hockey is supposed to be our national game and yet look at the state of hockey.

Yeah - Hockey. Not the NHL. There's a difference.

Hockey's as strong as it ever was in this country: World Cup-World Championships-Olympics-World Juniours

[i have coached boys teams here in Canada, had 3 sons in the system.In 13 years they NEVER missed one practise, NEVER missed one game, yet try to get that reliability factor through to the average Canadian-- Granma's birthday,a shooting weekend with Dad , blasting some of god's animals,or just plain "I forgot" are only some of the excuses! Canadians do NOT take their sports seriously enough, it's all "hockey or nothing" I USED to follow and support Canada at many sports -hah-you're just banging your head up against a brick wall. Soccer fans here make me laugh getting so agitated over a friendly match with Portugal, from which you can take so little . I have lived in 3 countries, and the sad fact remains that this one is a joke when it comes to sport. Why do you think the great swimmer Alex Baumann got sick of trying here , abandoned the country, and now coaches in Oz. With all my "petty" letter writing, along wtih others, at least Sportsnet stopped the commercials -didn't they? It must be awful to be Canadian and a soccer fan.

Well you sound like a real sweetheart and kids pick up on that and likely miss your practices on account of YOUR attitude not their parents. I have coached all kinds of kids and have always had them interested in playing and practice. Maybe if you had some respect for the Cdn game the kids would show more enthusiasm playing it.

[i have coached boys teams here in Canada, had 3 sons in the system.In 13 years they NEVER missed one practise, NEVER missed one game, yet try to get that reliability factor through to the average Canadian-- Granma's birthday,a shooting weekend with Dad , blasting some of god's animals,or just plain "I forgot" are only some of the excuses! Canadians do NOT take their sports seriously enough, it's all "hockey or nothing" I USED to follow and support Canada at many sports -hah-you're just banging your head up against a brick wall. Soccer fans here make me laugh getting so agitated over a friendly match with Portugal, from which you can take so little . I have lived in 3 countries, and the sad fact remains that this one is a joke when it comes to sport. Why do you think the great swimmer Alex Baumann got sick of trying here , abandoned the country, and now coaches in Oz. With all my "petty" letter writing, along wtih others, at least Sportsnet stopped the commercials -didn't they? It must be awful to be Canadian and a soccer fan.

Well you sound like a real sweetheart and kids pick up on that and likely miss your practices on account of YOUR attitude not their parents. I have coached all kinds of kids and have always had them interested in playing and practice. Maybe if you had some respect for the Cdn game the kids would show more enthusiasm playing it.

Mr. ED.------Well , I 'm sure parents never had any problem with my coaching, am actually considering returning to it. For sure, I was ALWAYS regarded as somewhat zealous on reliability, that is important to me in every aspect of life, though somewhat of an alien trait here, but enjoyed coaching so much, and know that the boys also enjoyed it, the unreliable ones, both parents and players were "sorted" one way or another. Usually the whole squad would show, playing in torrential rains, practise after practise--and your assumption re. my "attitude" is only that, an assumption , and maybe shows a flaw in your character? The boys would come to practise in their Man. Utd., England, German and various club shirts--BUT never Canadian--what's the moral there? Europeans of many nationalities still have much to offer to the growing game of soccer here, many of them lived and breathed the sport back home, and can display a vast knowledge. Why don't you shed your thin skins and accept that knowledge, until you can , like the Yanks, stand on your own two feet!

Mr. ED.------Well , I 'm sure parents never had any problem with my coaching, am actually considering returning to it. For sure, I was ALWAYS regarded as somewhat zealous on reliability, that is important to me in every aspect of life, though somewhat of an alien trait here, but enjoyed coaching so much, and know that the boys also enjoyed it, the unreliable ones, both parents and players were "sorted" one way or another. Usually the whole squad would show, playing in torrential rains, practise after practise--and your assumption re. my "attitude" is only that, an assumption , and maybe shows a flaw in your character? The boys would come to practise in their Man. Utd., England, German and various club shirts--BUT never Canadian--what's the moral there? Europeans of many nationalities still have much to offer to the growing game of soccer here, many of them lived and breathed the sport back home, and can display a vast knowledge. Why don't you shed your thin skins and accept that knowledge, until you can , like the Yanks, stand on your own two feet!

I can stand on my own thanks and need no reminding of the difficulties facing Cdn soccer fans. You spent this post ripping on our national passion and then on Cdn sports in general. I have nothing against Euros and others helping the game here but I do have a problem with someone telling me that Cdns are not passionate. This particular Cdn passionate about the game. What are you by the way? You obviously don't consider yourself Cdn.

Archived