Impact looking at SSS for 2007

Daniel

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by massimo

Sorry for my ignorance but what does SSS stand for?

Also any ideas where this stadium will be situated?

Soccer-specific stadium. I believed it was coined in the US. Québec Soccer apparently has details on the Montreal bid. It didn't seem like it'd be at CCR.

I heard that it would be located in Boucherville and seat 15000. The Mayor is planning on expanding the Metro out there just for it.

In your dreams.

With an empty Olympic Stadium calling, I bet that grass will be brought in for the 2007 WC. A much cheaper solution than a SSS. And if the Impact have ambition- they could easily move to MCGill- which has 20,000 seats right downtown.

There is no real need for this.

quote:Originally posted by François

Mcgill has no future for soccer. With painted field turf, the Impact don't want to play there.

Forget about the Big O.

i think the big owe could work.with real grass it would be ideal(for now).teams such as the bc lions had great success in driving up demand for its product by limiting seating in the lower bowl,it is a concept that is working in the MLS.what is the capacity in the lower bowl at the big owe?is the big owe owned by the province of quebec?

quote:Originally posted by snake

i think the big owe could work.with real grass it would be ideal(for now).teams such as the bc lions had great success in driving up demand for its product by limiting seating in the lower bowl,it is a concept that is working in the MLS.what is the capacity in the lower bowl at the big owe?is the big owe owned by the province of quebec?

You have to be from Montreal to understand the relationship the people have with Olympic Stadium. People just like to say that it's horrible place. And they are not exactly wrong.

I remember the images of the roof falling on a car just before the beginning of the Salon de l'auto a couple years back. People could've gotten killed. i also remember the season the Expos finished their season with something like 25 road games because a part of the stadium had fallen off. This stadium cost us SO MUCH everyone would wish it would disappear.

SNAKE: The limiting seating capacity has worked very well for the Alouettes at McGill. Infact, its second only to the teams performance (i.e. winning) in the success of the team at the gate. I personally would vote for a major renovations at CCR, to make it a better soccer stadiem then it already is.

isn't claude robbiliard a little out of the way in cartierville?getting to the games at the big owe is second to none,there is a metro station in the stadium.i say downsize the stadium a bit,to around 35.000 seats.juventas just downscaled their stadium from 70.000 to 45.000.

The construction of a new soccer specific stadium will be second to none.

As BXL Boy states having 8000 in a 35000 seat stadium is not ideal. Even if we double the attendance we would still not be at half the capacity. Either way, too many bad vibes from that piece of <beep>!

Renovating CCR with our new partner Reno Depot could be an option! But chances of removing the track will be a long shot. From my understanding CCR is owned by the city, and just for them to allow the Impact to have seats behind the goal on the southside of the stadium took the hand of God...er I mean the hand of Saputo.

Finally using Molson stadium in it's current state is not viable because of those damn painted lines. What are the chances of them redoing the surface? As they have just done that, and seems they either did a sh*t job or just didn't care for having soccer there permanently.

A renovated CCR should happen. Spend 10 million.

I just can't see the city/province building a new SSS for Montreal when they totally turned it's back on the Expos's plan for a downtown stadium. And with the World Aqua Games failure- don't expect the city yo build a new facility. Why on earth they didn't just use the existing Olympic Park swimming pool?

The Olympic Stadium, with temp grass, is the solution for 2007 u-20 WC. If Italy, Brazil or Greece played- the joint would be full. You'd get 60 000.

And the Impact can't have it both ways. Montreal has a 20,000 seat stadium that would be the envy of every other USL team right in the heart of the city. The funny part about Molson is that when the new turf went down, they removed the crown on the feild at great expense to allow it to host soccer.

Painted Lines or Not. It's the logical choice for a pro soccer team to use as it's home base other than CCR.

And considering pro soccer has come and gone in Montreal more than once, imagine spending 100 million on a 15k stadium to only see the pro team fold in 3 years.

Just look at Ottawa'a baseball stadium. If the team leaves- which it may, you're stuck with a facility that is baseball only. A white elephant. When the opened it the team drew 700,000, its now luck to get 130,000 a year.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Kelly,

It was mentioned on the impactsoccer.com site, that the money will come from the the private sector (Saputo, other). If that is the case I doubt seeing a joint venture between the city and the private sector.

If that's the case I wish them luck. It'd be nice if they built it where the expos had planned too. Right next to the new forum.

trains, metro, parking, resturanst, etc.

Grass at Olympic Stadium does nothing for the health of soccer in Montréal and the people in charge know that. It might be ideal for ChampionsWorld, but it'll be a long time (if ever) before it regains credibility as a sports venue.

Kelly, I think you're having trouble with seizing up the stadium situation in Montreal...

The Impact looked into Molson Stadium and with the combination of size (20,000, expected to get to 25,000), bad rent deals, no parking and permanent lines, McGill has made it unviable for regular soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Grass at Olympic Stadium does nothing for the health of soccer in Montréal and the people in charge know that. It might be ideal for ChampionsWorld, but it'll be a long time (if ever) before it regains credibility as a sports venue.

Kelly, I think you're having trouble with seizing up the stadium situation in Montreal...

The Impact looked into Molson Stadium and with the combination of size (20,000, expected to get to 25,000), bad rent deals, no parking and permanent lines, McGill has made it unviable for regular soccer.

The Olympic Stadium with grass would work for the U-20 WC. There is no need to build a new stadium for 4 games.

And I can remember being at Manic games at the Big O when only 12000 showed and the place rocked more than a full CCR on a play-off night.

I would agree that the Impact need to find a better home than the CCP with it's porta potties and it's general admission stands being 40 yards away from the pitch.

(So. I’m not knocking the Ultra's for lack of atmosphere- it's the stadium- it needs a huge renovation at the least or at least cover up the long jump pit during games)

But I would not discount the Big O with fieldturf for the games. The Big O did not kill the Expos. Lack of a caring owner did that.

My only worry for a SSS, is that Montreal loves a winner. And right now the Impact are winning. If they start to lose- how many will still show up? Will the crowds go back to 4 000 a game?

Stadiums do not make or break teams in the long run. A quality product does that. Which right now- is happening in Montreal with Impact.

I just hope they don't go into debt over building a new stadium when good stadiums exist.

We're not talking about building a stadium for the U20s. We're talking about building a SSS for that event and ESPECIALLY as a home to the Impact and as a permanent home to Québec soccer. It will be privately funded and so taxpayers won't see the bulk of the cost on their shoulders.

If I want to give you 20$, will you refuse it?

One spot that has come up is the old Autostade lot. Not a bad spot, but terrible access by public transit. However, an important Old Port redevelopment is supposed to overhaul that corner, and would include better transportation links.

A shuttle bus from Bonaventure station would not be impossible to imagine for 2007.

The grey plot of land between the tracks and the highway

au26.jpg

The parking lot at the bottom of the pic

au36.jpg

Satellite pic of Autostade in 1967

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/243/1221/320/Expo67%20under%20construction.jpg

http://www.theses.ulaval.ca/2003/21176/21176002.png for a map of the area in 1967.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

We're not talking about building a stadium for the U20s. We're talking about building a SSS for that event and ESPECIALLY as a home to the Impact and as a permanent home to Québec soccer. It will be privately funded and so taxpayers won't see the bulk of the cost on their shoulders.

If I want to give you 20$, will you refuse it?

My point Daniel, is not who is building the stadium or who is paying for it. My point is that building a NEW stadium does nothing for the long term survival of a pro team in Montreal. Winning will.

And I remember that same promise being made when the Skydone was built. (no taxpayer money)

And the 60 million (at least) spent on SSS stadium, would be better spent in my OPINION (which means little) if the owners spent 20 million revonvating CCR and spending 40 million ensuring the teams future for the next 20 years by banking it and then spending it when needed ,through the dark days of losing.

The Impact are on a high right now. 5 years ago they were in a very different place. And in 5 years they could back there.

I'm old enough to have gone through various pro teams.

Olympics

Castors

Manic

Inter

Supra

Impact One

Impact Two

I hope that Impact Two will be around for a long long time. My worry is that SSS will drain the current ownership dry. And then we'll see.

My nighmare: A "Castors" Two playing the CPSL.

My wet dream: Montreal MLS in a SSS with grass imported from Germany.

My reality: USL 1 a renovated CCR seating 14 thousand with Grass and better sight lines.

Archived