CPSL Oakville Blue Devils news release...

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Nope. Just because it's the 2nd highest existing division, that doesn't mean it is division 2.

I believe that in the way our soccer organizations are structured, a pro league that is sanctioned by a provincial body (in this case the OSA) is considered Division 3. To be Division 2, you have to be national (i.e. sanctioned by the CSA)...

Just another example of how screwed up club soccer is in Canada.

Personally, as a fan, I go with the USL D1 as our D1 and the CPSL as our D2. I assume the PCSL is roughly equivalent to the CPSL so I would place it at D2 as well. I don't think the PDL should be in the hierarchy because it is primarily a youth league.

This is how it works everywhere else in the world. You build the hierarchy based on existing levels of play, not on silly political/bureaucratic/technical definitions that have little to do with the actual sport.

[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Nope. Just because it's the 2nd highest existing division, that doesn't mean it is division 2.

I believe that in the way our soccer organizations are structured, a pro league that is sanctioned by a provincial body (in this case the OSA) is considered Division 3. To be Division 2, you have to be national (i.e. sanctioned by the CSA)...

Just another example of how screwed up club soccer is in Canada.

Personally, as a fan, I go with the USL D1 as our D1 and the CPSL as our D2. I assume the PCSL is roughly equivalent to the CPSL so I would place it at D2 as well. I don't think the PDL should be in the hierarchy because it is primarily a youth league.

This is how it works everywhere else in the world. You build the hierarchy based on existing levels of play, not on silly political/bureaucratic/technical definitions that have little to do with the actual sport.

[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Judging from T5's reaction it seems what I said cut a little too close to the quick.

Pretending you are something that you clearly are not is pretentious and will come back to bite you in the marketplace.

Part of the problem is that we've been through this all before, multiple times every year from many different people. Perhaps it would be better to write to the CPSL to complain about this, because posting it here won't change anything except aggravate the fans who are trying to enjoy the league for what it is. That's my view, anyway.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

these are not silly bureaucratic definitions ... it's important to understand this ...

last i heard, the PCSL is an amateur league and amateur players playing on canadian pro teams violate NCAA rules ...

but of course rules are made to be broken ...

Part of the problem is that we've been through this all before, multiple times every year from many different people. Perhaps it would be better to write to the CPSL to complain about this, because posting it here won't change anything except aggravate the fans who are trying to enjoy the league for what it is. That's my view, anyway.

Then why do people keep posting whines about the CSA. It's been done before multiple times and posting complaints here is not going to change anything except aggravate those fans who don't feel the same way - right?

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

last i heard, the PCSL is an amateur league and amateur players playing on canadian pro teams violate NCAA rules ...

but of course rules are made to be broken ...

The PCSL does not promote itself as a professional league.

Well, Cambridge online dictionary has several definitions for the word "professional" but the most appropriate one for sports is, "a person who does as a job what people usually do as a hobby".

One normally is paid for doing one's job. I guess then by definition if it is one's fulltime job then one is a fulltime professional, and if only a parttime job then one is a parttime professional or semi-professional. There are very few soccer players in Canada that derive their income solely from playing soccer, even in the USL but least of all for the CPSL, they must thus by definition be semi-professional soccer players at best. Insisting that these players are professionals is really a stretch and rather undermines credibility. The majority of their income, meagre as it might be, must of necessity be derived from an occupation other than playing for a CPSL team.

Richard,

You've hit the nail on the head IMO and (as you said in a latter post) there is a certain pretentiousness to pretending to be what you clearly are not.

As a marketing tool, the name of the league has done nothing, not that any other name would have done much better in terms of appeal but it is a turn off. If I were a member of the media, I'd be tempted to say that the league is trying too hard in regards to the "P" word and to have started out with a more modest title would have made sense.

That said, it's too late now and pretentious or not, there's no going back. The question I would then raise is "Is there a going forward?"

db

The PCSL does not promote itself as a professional league.

If I lived on the west coast, I'd be very happy to support my local PCSL side due in part to the fact that they are not making any pretenses about what they are. The league considers itself amateur and in itself, that is part of its charm.

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

If I lived on the west coast, I'd be very happy to support my local PCSL side due in part to the fact that they are not making any pretenses about what they are. The league considers itself amateur and in itself, that is part of its charm.

db

Three cheers to Victoria United for assisting in the devlopment of Millwall-boy, Josh Simpson. I'm sure the first-team experience with Victoria United helped him along.

Archived