Mar 26 Friendly - Portugal v Canada - POST-match R

DJT

<center>FriendlyPortugal 4  Canada 1Saturday, March 26, 2005

12:30 PM PST / 1:30 PM MST / 2:30 PM CST / 3:30 PM EST / 4:30 PM AST / 5:00 PM NST / 8:30 PM local

Estádio Municipal, Barcelos</center>

GOALS

7' POR Manuel Fernandes

11' POR Pedro Pauleta

81' POR Helder Postiga

84' CAN Kevin McKenna

90'+ POR Nuno Gomes

YELLOWS

?

REDS

None.

LINEUPS

PORTUGAL: Quim Silva, Paulo Ferreira, Fernando Meira (Luis Boa Morte 71'), Jorge Andrade, Nuno Valente (Miguel Monteiro 46'), Manuel Fernandes, Nuno Maniche (Ricardo Costa 46'), Deco, Cristiano Ronaldo (Hugo Viana 46'), Simao Sabrosa (Helder Postiga 46'), Pedro Pauleta (Nuno Gomes 46'). Unused subs: Ricardo, Costinha, Ricardo Carvalho.

CANADA: Lars Hirschfeld, Atiba Hutchinson (Jaime Peters 78'), Kevin McKenna, Marco Reda, Mike Klukowski, Julian De Guzman, Daniel Imhof (Chris Pozniak 86'), Paul Stalteri, Jim Brennan (Tomasz Radzinski 46'), Dwayne de Rosario, Olivier Occean (Patrice Bernier 68'). Unused subs: Greg Sutton, Mark Watson.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

POST-MATCH CHAT TRANSCRIPT

guest: Rudi:

so they added insult to injury right before time

guest: paddy:

Poor Lars. I hope the goals didn't make him look bad.

not that we'll ever see them

guest: aussoccerfan:

is 4-1 bad ? canada was playing a good team

guest: tyson:

lars makes himself look bad

guest: matthew:

crap, just before the final whistle. It's funny I didn't mind 3-1, but 4-1 seems more disappointing.

We'll get reports on the board

guest: DJT:

Yeah I felt the same way matthew

How the hell do you know Tyson?

guest: busanbhoy:

im sure the looking bad got spread around

that's all we ever get

tyson: where do you see lars playing badly?

is 4-1 bad ? canada was playing a good team

because lars is a wekaness

Some on BS.com said we caused the midfield danger and Portugal wasn't asserting their dominance.

what's BS.com ?

BigSoccer

thats true i guess ive never seen him play much because hes never on the field

ya sorry but 4-1 is san marino circa 1980 territory

you also said that it was weird that McKenna scored

Losing is bad enough, listening to people whine when they didn't see the game is too much. See you later.

heh

Good Christ the Russians just lost to these guys 7-1. 4-1 isn't the most desgraceful result in the history of the world. Get a grip kids/

I was going to mention the Russia score too

who did russia lose to ?

thanks to those that set this up, cheers

uhh

Russia lost 7-1 to Portugal

bye everyone- have a nice day

Not that I'm happyu with losing 4-1. I agree with Jay who said that if we lose 4-1 to Portugal in a frinedly, we likely were going to be humbled in the World Cup. This wasn't good, but its' not a disaster.

yes thanks for that set up

bye all

baby steps... hopefully the young guys can take something from this game and work towards the future... not that there's much positive about losing 4-1, but I think just playing 90 minutes against a world class side like Portugal has its merits

guest: JayWay:

later guys

later

I watched the match at Os Finos, a Potugese cafe in East Van.

I can't criticize Yallop, except for not starting Radzinski. McKenna was brutal with the ball at his feet, and when paired with Reda at centre back, we are horrible - losing balls in our area, and failing to cover players closely resulting in the easy Portugese 2nd goal. I can see why McKenna is played as a striker.

DeRo missed an easy scoring opportunity, 5 minutes in when the score was 0-0. He ran back into the Canadian half many times to help our defence, so he gets credit for hard work, but his overall play shows he belongs in the MSL and not on a good team in Europe.

Lars seeems to have run out of the luck that made him look so good when he first played for the MNT. He looked brutal on some of the goals.

After Portugal was up 2-0, they started to take it easy, making subs, including taking Ronaldo out, who made several of our defenders look silly. Even with subs and no need to press, and saving energy for 2 upcoming important WCQ games, Portugal still possessed the ball. They have many players with the ability to dribble and beat guys one on one, and we don't.

I can't criticize Yallop, except for not starting Radzinski. McKenna was brutal with the ball at his feet, and when paired with Reda at centre back, we are horrible - losing balls in our area, and failing to cover players closely resulting in the easy Portugese 2nd goal. I can see why McKenna is played as a striker.

DeRo missed an easy scoring opportunity, 5 minutes in when the score was 0-0. He ran back into the Canadian half many times to help our defence, so he gets credit for hard work, but his overall play shows he belongs in the MSL and not on a good team in Europe.

Lars seeems to have run out of the luck that made him look so good when he first played for the MNT. He looked brutal on some of the goals.

After Portugal was up 2-0, they started to take it easy, making subs, including taking Ronaldo out, who made several of our defenders look silly. Even with subs and no need to press, and saving energy for 2 upcoming important WCQ games, Portugal still possessed the ball. They have many players with the ability to dribble and beat guys one on one, and we don't.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

It is sad to hear that our defense is so weak. It has traditionaly been Canada's strongest area. I would love to Tony get back in the team somehow. I didn't see the game but I get the feeling it will be hard to get an opponent like Portugal in the near future.

I don't know. Looked pretty good to me but that might be the lagers speaking.

No panic. Played the ball out of our own back 30 on the ground more often than not and yeah, Reda could of cut that 2nd goal out before it became a threat but he might have been worrying himself about an own goal as he was in the crease by then. Brave goal no matter how you slice it.

de Rossario is still frustrating to watch. Questionable plays at time but you can't fault his worth ethic that much is for sure.

Don't know what happened on that 1st Portuguese goal. Man, Fernandez hit it with some passion but Lars just over compensated.

And on Canada's goal, in what, the 85th Big Kev ran up from the back line through the midfield unmarked to noggin home the rebound off the woodwork. In the 85th! In the heat of Portugal! That's passion and that's dedication. Wonderful stuff.

Good match. The score line dosen't flatter Canada but is probably justified.

Gotta go. Well done lads.

Radz in for JB at the half

Bernier in for umm (should have written in down)

Peters in for Atiba

Pozniak in for ummm (should have written in down)

We passed it around pretty well at times, but when Portugal got down to business they made their chances count. Can't figure out how Lars missed the first goal so badly, maybe a deflection. If it didn't deflect, then it was a horrible misread. Second goal, four minutes later, really bad coverage off a set play. Lars did make a nice stop late in the 2nd half. DeRo did miss a chance early in the first half which left me wondering whether or not Radz would have put it in, but DeRo's hustle made our goal possible; it was he who struck the bar before McKenna's finish.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Anyone got any info on Canada's Subs in this game? Were any made? Did Yallop use them all?

Defense was not SO weak... our two best players today played there : Hutchinson (the best canadian without doubt) and Klukowski

Hirschfeld : 4 - Two first goals are his responsability (people who don't know could have believed it was Onstad in goal), better in second half with a huge save at the end of the match

Hutchinson : 7 - The best canadian on the field. Took a strong shot at the 77th, was everywhere on his flank. Convincing

McKenna : 5 - Not so bad even if he made big mistakes. Also scored our goal. But too slow and, most of all, we saw he hasn't to be paired with Reda !

Reda : 3.5 - Okay, he had to face a very good attack with the portuguese one but showed he was too light for this level. And no comprehension at all with Big Kev...

Klukowski : 6.5 - The same as Hutchinson in the first half, more average in the second with some bad passes. But good presence and a lot of confidence

Imhof : 3 - Did he play ?

Stalteri : 5.5 - Very strong first half, good automatisms with Hutchinson, all the danger was coming from the right side. More discrete in the second half, and still more after Hutch sub.

De Guzman : 4.5 - I never saw him with his club but there must be a huge difference wuth what it does with Canada. The fourth goal is his fault, unable to give goal passes to his teammates, and often invisible, except at the end of the first half when he came on the right side where Stalteri already was...

Brennan : 3 - Same as Imhof...

De Rosario : 6 - So... raging (for me). He brings so much. Creative, mobile, runs a lot. Tries a lot too... But misses so much ! Needs to play in a stronger league than MLS. Very helpful for our goal.

Occean : 5 - Nobody gave him intersting balls... He tried but wasn't helped by our almost invisible midfield

Radzinski (replaced Brennan at half time) : 5.5 - Same as Occean but runs more, has more experience and we see it.

Bernier, Peters, Pozniak : didn't play enough to be marked (replaces Occean, Hutchinson and Imhof)

Yeah,we really are missing a De Vos,Samuel type of centre back.That much is evident.

The play of the Canadians was an improvement over the N.Ireland game yet the score line doesn't show it.I think the lads showed the Portuguese public that they do have game.

To my surprise that Portugese fans at the Portugese Bar gave Canada the loudest cheer when they scored.Nice to see that kind of respect.

Good to see the other Voyageurs at the bar(youllneverwalkalone,mgg,and Marcus).

I also liked this performnce better than the way Canada played against Northern Ireland. We generated more scoring chances and the kind of problems we faced against Portugal are easier to correct. Eventually, Yallop will figure out that Sutton should be the number one keeper and perhaps DeRosario will get some better cleats on his shoes. With more playing time togther, the central defence will improve. Afterall it is going through a bit of a transition. With that in mind, I found this performance rather encouraging. Losing an away game by 3-1 against a side that is still in thick of WCQ and who reached the finals of Euro, is quite good. BTW, yes I know it 4-1 but I'll disregard that final goal.

We were able to come forward at times and we held our own in Midfield, even genaratng some good chances. But that good ball in the final third is still eluding Canada, as it has for as long as I can remember following our national team. That is why, (even though we traded chances fairly well with Portual and even played fair amount in their own half) the Portuguese managed to capitalize on those that they did have. The downside, Canada is playing a game that is more and more linear under Yallop. Its harder to win against sides that favour a slow buildup, if you play a very Linear game IMO.

The complete lineups and subs (with times) have been added to the first post in this thread. I compiled them from a few different sources (CSA, FPF, AP, CP) so there could be errors.

The times of the goals as posted there were also corrected as Livescore was a bit off (way off for Portugal's third).

Somebody in the Portugal forum over on BigSoccer said that DeGuzman was our best player. Given that we apparently held our own in midfield, I'm inclined to believe the good reviews over the bad reviews.

Bravo to McKenna for scoring. When Simpson is back in the lineup, I'd like to see how McKenna pairs up with Klukowski in central defence. I think those two are our best hope of recreating the old DeVos-Menezes (1999-2002) or Watson-Samuel (1993-1997) defensive chemistry.

didn't see the game, but have to wonder why we'd expect much from

Big Kev. I love the guy, but he's been injured and rarely gets first team action with his club. Reda needs somebody with wheels and good feet. Maybe Tsaliwa, maybe Kluka. years from now we may have Edgar or Ledgerwood or Hainault, but that is a long time away. Cannot knock kev's work ethic and dedication. He's got clod-hoppers for feet--what can he do? Time to consider Hutch or Kluka as Reda's partner. Maybe tam.

Glad to hear some positive stuff, and the goal is encouraging. This is a good step. As long as we make good strides over the next few games.

hello everyone. Yallop should also figure out that Mckenna is no defender, and in this game put Reda and the rest of the backline in a lot of problems. Contrary to what a lot of you saw, the 'mistakes' the back 4 made where because of sloppy play on the ball by our midfield, not because of mistakes per se but because of panic coverage required for balls lost at midfield. Yallop also needs to find room for his best threat 'Rad' any coach will find room for his best players and position them so that they handle the ball a lot. Rad at lone striker with no balls to work with is useless. canada withlittle stenght down the sidelines will not give balls to Rad, it is just our natire at this stage. The Canada I saw today is probably the best Canada in a long long time. Passing and moving on the ball was excellent, at moments we looked very 'european" as opposed to "English". I think Yallop should continue with this 11.I would suggest the following to improve both the defense and our attack.....Defense: Moove McKenna out of there and find someone to pair with Reda. The defense needs to play together to eliminate the quite noticable hesitation and obvious uncertainties. I would moove McKenna to striker as the target man and Rad to the outside (left or right) as a 3/4 field attacker. In this position he would handle the ball a lot and his speed would create problems for outside defenders. Obviously the ball would have to go to Rad a lot. DeRosario needs to speed up his passing, he holds the ball too long, and the team must pass the ball BACK to teammates more. Overall I liked what I saw today. 4-1 is flattering to Portugal. The problem with playing teams of this calibre is that they make the best of their opportunities. (not that many) As for Ronaldo...he confirmed what we saw at the Europeans and see at Manchester....he is a 15 minute player (mind you a dangerous one in this time frame) He is a lot of "smoke but no roast". Good work Canada.

After yet another Canadian soccer disaster, lets hope the CSA wake up and

start playing countries in our zone,instead of getting thumped by stronger European sides. We need to be playing the Mexico's,Jamaica's

Costa Rica's etc. Until we're able to start playing against the teams

will must qualify against in wcq,playing the likes of Portugal is pointless.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

After yet another Canadian soccer disaster, lets hope the CSA wake up and

start playing countries in our zone,instead of getting thumped by stronger European sides. We need to be playing the Mexico's,Jamaica's

Costa Rica's etc. Until we're able to start playing against the teams

will must qualify against in wcq,playing the likes of Portugal is pointless.

Sometimes playing a better team can make a team better.

quote:Originally posted by errea

hello everyone. Yallop should also figure out that Mckenna is no defender, and in this game put Reda and the rest of the backline in a lot of problems. Contrary to what a lot of you saw, the 'mistakes' the back 4 made where because of sloppy play on the ball by our midfield, not because of mistakes per se but because of panic coverage required for balls lost at midfield. Yallop also needs to find room for his best threat 'Rad' any coach will find room for his best players and position them so that they handle the ball a lot. Rad at lone striker with no balls to work with is useless. canada withlittle stenght down the sidelines will not give balls to Rad, it is just our natire at this stage. The Canada I saw today is probably the best Canada in a long long time. Passing and moving on the ball was excellent, at moments we looked very 'european" as opposed to "English". I think Yallop should continue with this 11.I would suggest the following to improve both the defense and our attack.....Defense: Moove McKenna out of there and find someone to pair with Reda. The defense needs to play together to eliminate the quite noticable hesitation and obvious uncertainties. I would moove McKenna to striker as the target man and Rad to the outside (left or right) as a 3/4 field attacker. In this position he would handle the ball a lot and his speed would create problems for outside defenders. Obviously the ball would have to go to Rad a lot. DeRosario needs to speed up his passing, he holds the ball too long, and the team must pass the ball BACK to teammates more. Overall I liked what I saw today. 4-1 is flattering to Portugal. The problem with playing teams of this calibre is that they make the best of their opportunities. (not that many) As for Ronaldo...he confirmed what we saw at the Europeans and see at Manchester....he is a 15 minute player (mind you a dangerous one in this time frame) He is a lot of "smoke but no roast". Good work Canada.

Archived