Mar 26 Friendly - Portugal v Canada - PRE-match

matthew

<center>FriendlyPortugal vs. CanadaSaturday, March 26, 2005

12:30 PM PST / 1:30 PM MST / 2:30 PM CST / 3:30 PM EST / 4:30 PM AST / 5:00 PM NST / 8:30 PM local

Estádio Municipal, Barcelos

Television:

Radio Televisao Portuguesa Internacional (RTPi) (on DISH Network channels 615 and 816)

Audio Webcast:

RTP Antena 1 (broadcast begins at 3:05 PM EST)

Voyageurs real-time chat

(login under your forum name using the top box and top "Login Now" button; do not use the two lower boxes, do not enter your forum password anywhere)

</center>

I figured I would start a new thread for pre-game stuff. I think there will be more stuff in the Portguese press as the night wears on. O Jogo has a match preview with provisional lineups.

http://www.ojogo.pt/21-33/Artigo456760.htm

O Jogo has provisional starting 11s. Canada’s is the same as reported Friday and has Hutchinson at RB and Klukowski at LB, Imhof at DM and the rest as just mids. They list Occean and DeRo up front. They also list Pozniak as being on the bench. So that’s a nice sign.

The Portuguese 11 is different than the one from earlier. They have Ricardo in goal, Ricardo Carvahlo out, Fernando Meira in his place at CB and Maniche in at d-mid.

1 Ricardo GR

2 Paulo Ferreira LD

29 Fernando Meira DC

4 Jorge Andrade DC

3 Nuno Valente LE

31 Manuel Fernandes MD

18 Maniche MD

17 Cristiano Ronaldo AD

20 Deco MO

11 Simão AE

9 Pauleta AV

Our ref is Sergiy Tsymbal from Ukraine and we have two Ukrainian assistants.

From what I can get out of it the article is very dismissive of us and says this will be poor prep for Bratislava in part because we won’t offer what the Slovaks can and because they are at home and will be missing some players that they are hoping will be part of Wednesday. Ricardo Carvahlo (who missed training Friday) and Costinha are both likely unavailable.

It adds that Maniche, Simão and Nuno Valente aren’t ready to play 90 minutes due to injury. They talk of Scolari’s plans for a dry run for Wedsneday are gone because of selection difficulties. They say that the squad is only probable and if Ricardo Carvahlo can go then they will drop Fernando Meira (who is apparently 6’4” and the big soccer contingent didn’t like idea of him in the midfield) back into mf beside young Manuel Fernandes and rest Maniche who barely took part in Friday’s training.

I'll add more as I find more.

cheers,

matthew

Good god, I thought I was up late DJT.

Just scanned some Portuguese papers. Nothing too shocking. Scolari wants to start Maniche badly (he says his team is set if he has Maniche, if not he needs to adapt) if even for 45 mins. Sounds like it will be a doctor's decision before game time.

He also offered this gem of a quote:

"The game with Canada is a subterfuge to bring in the players. If we only had the game with Slovakia, the majority of the clubs would not release their players before Sunday or Monday ", explained Scolari.

Also for an interesting read, Diario de Noticias (which looks to be a pretty major national daily, if not the major) had a nice little chat with Fernando Aguiar about the state of Canadian soccer.

Go to: http://dn.sapo.pt/desporto/index.html and click on "A segunda divisão do futebol dos EUA".

cheers,

matthew

I had been wondering if Pozniak would be called in to replace Simpson, nice to hear that has happened in case we need him. Chris is actually more of natural for LB than Mike, actually.

What should have been the highest profile friendly for Canada in the Toronto area has ended up having no profile whatsoever (that I've found) leading up to the match, with the Toronto sports pages reporting on "human interest" hockey stories nobody gives the slightest crap about instead. It's unbelievable, and I really, really, really hope we win.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

"The game with Canada is a subterfuge to bring in the players. If we only had the game with Slovakia, the majority of the clubs would not release their players before Sunday or Monday ", explained Scolari.

Isn't that clever? A no-brainer, but clever. Funny how you see these sorts of things in countrys where football matters. That is to say, abroad.

Doubly, Canada is a perfect opponent in this sort of instance. Light weight but usualy hard working. Professional enough to not go on a leg breaking campain and no real threat of upsetting the home side for a draw never mind a victory.

A good sparing partner. Maybe work up a sweat. Let you practice a few moves but not rattle your brain-box with any wicked right upper-cuts.

Good pick Mr. Scolari

P.S. Am absolutely dying to know what FA had to say. Dying I tell yah.

Actually I have now found a Neil Davidson article published in the Globe & Mail. Starting line up he says is

Hirshfeld

Klukowski-Reda-McKenna-Hutchinson

Brennan-De Guzman-Imhof-Stalteri

De Rosario & Occean

Radz is there, but isn't starting, which is a bit of a surprise.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Actually I have now found a Neil Davidson article published in the Globe & Mail. Starting line up he says is

Hirshfeld

De Rosario & Occean

Radz is there, but isn't starting, which is a bit of a surprise.

A mirror of that lineup would make sense (unless left is left?).

well boys , the last time we played top European competition in 2003 we were thumped 5-1 by the Czechs, and 4-1 by Germany,, can't remember if those games were under Osieck or Miller. So I'm not as optimistic as some , but I would be happy if we give them a decent run and find a way to keep this game close. I'm very pleased with the selection of this team, would like to see Nsaliwa given a shot but other then that everything seems to be bang on... This is gonna be our main core for 2010 qualifying (with addition of Hume and Simpson) so the more we get them to play together against stiff competition , the better it will make them in the longrun. Now if only we could get this game on the tube...arghh...

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hirshfeld

De Rosario & Occean

That is actually the same article being discussed in the "Canada's starting lineup thread". As we pointed out there, the actual positions are not explicitly given in the article. Gian-Luca has positioned them sligthly differently than Alex according to the exact order that Davidson gives (back-to-front, left-to-right). So interpret that as you will.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Internet TV maybe?

For those who have high-speed connection have a look at this:

http://programas.rtp.pt/EPG/tv/epg-dia.php?canal=1

it may show the game but I can't tell. Don't speaky portuguese.

That is the schedule for Portugal's RTP, the "home" version of RTPi. I can't find anything to indicate that they stream over the Web.

Okay, we seem to have a problem with the audio feed. I've been trying to get on since 3:05 EST but the server is too busy. At this rate we won't have anything except Livescore.

Archived