Canada's starting lineup

Alex

Dwayne De Rosario and Olivier Occean start up front. The rest of the starting lineup is Mike Klukowski, Kevin McKenna, Marco Reda, Atiba Hutchinson, Jim Brennan, Julian de Guzman, Daniel Imhof and Paul Stalteri.

---------------Hirschfeld

Kluka----Big Kev---Reda---Hutch

Stalteri---Juli DeGuz---Imhof---Brennan

--------Dero------Occean

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/shownews.jsp?content=R032521AU [also here]

Ok im just gonna go out and say it.....F***ING SWEET......

bigtime suprised to see radz not in the starting 11

my #1 favourite part of this line up: Klukowski getting the start! He's not seen much of the feild wtih Brugge' 1st squad but he's played resercves and more to the point, he deserves the shot, as most times he's been called up he's ended up getting hurt or whatever.

Exciting to see deisel back in midfeild too...i guess hutch is being groomed as the starting RB of the future

all in all i like this lineup....hopeuflly kev and reda can hold their own vs the speedy portugese....

BTW: with radz on the bench....do you guys see him possible not accepting another call for the Nats.....he doesnt seem like the sorta guy that could accept that sorta role for our nats (given his past rep with the nats)

I can see what your saying about Radz, but Im thinking maybe Yallop wants to put him on as a sub so that his speed can cause some trouble to a tired Portuguese defence. With a weaker opponent Radz would probably start. Ill bet its cause were playing Portugal.

Looks like we may still have some creative problems in the middle of the park. The odd Kluka-Hutch switch (he flipped their usual sides) is probably to contain CRonaldo, which also might explain Stalteri on the wing. It'll be interesting to see this pair of strikers, we never have.

Edit: only the names are mentioned, NOT the positions, in the link.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Looks like we may still have some creative problems in the middle of the park. The odd Kluka-Hutch switch (he flipped their usual sides) is probably to contain CRonaldo, which also might explain Stalteri on the wing. It'll be interesting to see this pair of strikers, we never have.

The Kluka / Hutch switch has got to be a typo as far as I can see. There's nothing to be gained in a switch. I think this lineup give or take Rad in for one of the two strikers, could have done the job in qualifying. Took a few too many games for Yallop to see his buddies were past it.

I think that's a brilliant starting 11. I'm not sure on the starting defensive pairing, but without Simpson we really didn't have a lot of options and couldn't play Klukowski in the middle.

I felt we needed a target man up front and someone with a high work rate to work off of him, but I didn't see how we could do that and start Radzinski. I guess we don't. I didn't see how Yallop would not start Radz, but here we are. He could be very dangerous off the bench too. I guess we'll see what kind of game we're playing and adjust accordingly.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Alex

I can see what your saying about Radz, but Im thinking maybe Yallop wants to put him on as a sub so that his speed can cause some trouble to a tired Portuguese defence. With a weaker opponent Radz would probably start. Ill bet its cause were playing Portugal.

That's the point, they have to be tired.......and I think that Radz is exactly the kind of player who'll get a defence tired not Occean and DeRo. But on the other hand, Radz isn't suppose to be there in 2008 so let the young guys start. And I don't think that Radz will be offended by that as long as he gets at least 30 minutes.

God bless Mais Futebol. I finally found some reports from training today.

Yallop confirms the starting 11. Says that Radzinski will play in the second half.

Other Yallop quotes: "To play against Portugal it is always a good experience", “Portugal is a good team and will be a difficult game for us.”

He said we “play to win” every game and they hope to enjoy the game. He made particular mention of Cristiano Ronaldo, but said Portugal "has a great number of good players". Also said Canada has dangerous players and his job is to make the sure the adapt to each other and play as a team. He also mentioned a great team chemistry for Canada, but I think he means in spirit rather than cohesion on the pitch given the previous comment.

They held an open door training session. A few people were there to watch, the big news (to the Portuguese) was the absense of Simpson.

This was also mentioned: Já no final do treino, as objectivas estavam viradas para alguns jogadores que, na brincadeira, tentavam dar o maior número de toques possíveis na bola. As acrobacias com a bola também não foram esquecidas.

I believe they’re saying that we working on keeping possession and our touches at the end of training, but I don’t think I got the whole point of the paragraph.

They also have a story where Scolari says his 11 is not confirmed and Maniche is still possible to play. He did say Costinha is probably not ready, but said both could play 45 minutes.

They also recap the 1995 SkyDome friendly with Alex’ scoring the late equalizer (that’s Mr. Bunbury in Portuguese) in a 1-1 draw.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

They also recap the 1995 SkyDome friendly

It's too bad that FieldTurf didn't exist (or wasn't as popular as AstroTurf) back then, because those matches on the old turf were painful to watch.

My biggest disappointment is not being able to watch this game!

Let's see what this centre back duo can do, considering the two inexperienced fullbacks in Hutch and Kluka; Imhoff and DeGuzman will be busy providing a shield in front of them, but should do a good job considering they play defensive/holding roles with their club sides. I'm still guessing that DeRosario will play behind Occean as opposed to beside him, so I speculate that it will be more of a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 defending against the Portuguese attack.

Inspired selection of Staltieri for midfield: his crossing skills, along with Brennan's service from the left, will pose a serious threat with the big lad Occean up front and the support of DeRosario and DeGuzman.

Still, much hinges on Big Kev and Marco: good luck!

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Edit: only the names are mentioned, NOT the positions, in the link.

Yes, take note everyone! Alex posted the names that are mentioned in the article, but the positions seem to be his own ideas!

Not to pick on Alex, but I've seen this happen too many times on this forum: misleading posts that mix facts with rumours/suggestions/ideas/theories without clearly differentiating between the two (remember the whole Peters-to-Whitecaps thing?). Let's be more careful!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Not to pick on Alex, but I've seen this happen too many times on this forum: misleading posts that mix facts with rumours/suggestions/ideas/theories without clearly differentiating between the two (remember the whole Peters-to-Whitecaps thing?). Let's be more careful!

Agreed. But the starting 11 have been confirmed in the Sportsnet article, have they not? Apart from flipping the flank positions (Stalteri/Hutch and Brennan/Kluko), surely you could make logical arguments as to where the remaining personnel is slotted on the field?

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Agreed. But the starting 11 have been confirmed in the Sportsnet article, have they not? Apart from flipping the flank positions (Stalteri/Hutch and Brennan/Kluko), surely you could make logical arguments as to where the remaining personnel is slotted on the field?

Yeah, but it wasn't posted in the article yet presented as such.

I apologize for any confusion in the first post. What I got from the starting positions was that that would be the forwards mids and defence, although I may have messed up the right and left (hutch and Klukowski), as DJT said they were my own ideas but I believe the most logical ones. Anyway I guess we'll find out once the game starts.

As to Radz getting on in the second half according to Yallop... don't forget he said we'd see most of the team in N. Ireland.

As for the tactic of waiting till Portugal's defense is tired... I'm assuming you're meaning from pressing forward too much?

I love Canada, and our National team... but damn we are delluded about our quality on this board some times.

I'd imagine the main reason these two are starting, is as mentioned... they are seen to be the future of the team, so there is an attempt getting made to have them get a good feel for each other.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

As to Radz getting on in the second half according to Yallop... don't forget he said we'd see most of the team in N. Ireland.

Sure the subs were late but he stuck to his word. Hutchinson fell ill prior to the match and Yallop already said he was leaving Hirschfeld out, and giving him the Portugal game.

Archived