Other leagues

Pony

Im intersted to know what peoples opinions are of the lesser leagues in Europe.

Pretext- EPL, Primiera, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundasliga are in the first tear; (meaning these leagues have reasonable chances of producing a CL winner each and every year)

Now who is tops in the rest?

Portugal? Netherlands? Scotland? Sweden? Greece? Ukraine? Russia?

Thought this might be an intersting topic,

P

Well I can only follow so many leagues but we know Portugal & Holland have done well in the past. I'm surprised Russian teams haven't done better but then again I think Swiss and Belgium teams should go farther.

But here's a link to a BBC story where ManUre and Arsenal want seeding into the 1st knock-out phase to protect the spots of the top teams. AKA the NHL where 1st plays 16th etc.

Man Utd. want revamp

quote:Originally posted by argh1

But here's a link to a BBC story where ManUre and Arsenal want seeding into the 1st knock-out phase to protect the spots of the top teams. AKA the NHL where 1st plays 16th etc.

Man Utd. want revamp

Whoa! Talk about sour grapes. What a ridiculous idea proposed by Man United (who else?).

Anyway, according to UEFA coefficient, Portugal is easily the next best league after the top 5.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Anyway, according to UEFA coefficient, Portugal is easily the next best league after the top 5.

Really? I'd have gone with the Dutch Eerdivisie over Portugal. Porto is a great side and have done well in Europe over recent years, but I think the calibre is higher there. Once you get past the top three in each country (Benf, Sport, Porto & Ajax, Feyn, PSV) I'd favour the Dutch league has greater depth than their Portuguese counterparts.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Really? I'd have gone with the Dutch Eerdivisie over Portugal. Porto is a great side and have done well in Europe over recent years, but I think the calibre is higher there. Once you get past the top three in each country (Benf, Sport, Porto & Ajax, Feyn, PSV) I'd favour the Dutch league has greater depth than their Portuguese counterparts.

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

Yeah, before this season I'd agree with you (altho over the last 5-6 years, I think the top 3 in Portugal have been more successful in Europe than the top 3 in Holland, which offsets some of the superiority the bottom 15 in Holland has over the bottom 15 in Portugal).

But this season, Portugal probably has more parity top-to-bottom than any of the other top 10-12 leagues in Europe (I never thought I'd say that).

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

Yeah, before this season I'd agree with you (altho over the last 5-6 years, I think the top 3 in Portugal have been more successful in Europe than the top 3 in Holland, which offsets some of the superiority the bottom 15 in Holland has over the bottom 15 in Portugal).

But this season, Portugal probably has more parity top-to-bottom than any of the other top 10-12 leagues in Europe (I never thought I'd say that).

Archived