Oz to AFC??

BusanBhoy

So if it comes to pass (basically if FIFA approves, as AFC already has) and Australia joins the Asian Football Confederation, would the asians 4.5 berths become the solid five they want? Would we loose our .5 (and any chance of an even four)? What would Oceana be left with?

And, hey if all this goes down, could we join asia too?[}:)] (we could EASILY be in the hunt for third spot in that conference)(although Afc refs seem to come from the same mold as ours):D

AUSTRALIA SWITCH GIVEN GREEN LIGHT BY AFC

2005-Mar-23

The Asian Football Confederation has endorsed Australia's switch from Oceania.

AFC president Mohamed bin Hammam announced the decision in Kuala Lumpur after Australia had applied to officially become the 46th member of the confederation.

"The executive committee unanimously endorsed the wishes of Australia to join the AFC," bin Hammam said after a committee meeting in the Malaysian capital.

First the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC), of which Australia is currently a member, must approve Australia's departure at its executive meeting next month.

And the move from the OFC to the AFC would then have to be endorsed by soccer's world governing body, FIFA.

Asia has four automatic World Cup qualifying berths and a playoff.

Dosen't matter if they're playing in Oceania or Asia, the Aussies will still have terrible travel issues and given the tougher competition this move may not be all peachs and cream.

That being said, I'd agree their chances of at least qualifying for a playoff spot remain the same no matter which of those confederations they play in. And at least in Asia they can qualify automatically.

No I don't see CONCACAF lossing it's half slot to Asia. Why? Not exacly like Australia is an international world footie power.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

If it was up to me, I would have the AFC and the OFC form into one Federation.

that would seem the most logical move - so probably won't happen

(and I would still think we should get a full birth (fourth) before they get a fifth)

Theres no point of having OFC without Australia, because the whole confederation is Australia and New Zealand, and a bunch of minnows. It would be alot easier to just join both and this might allow for some of the little island countries to develop into better soccer nations. I dont see the division of berths changing...but it will be a joke to give the OFC 0.5 of a birth without Australia competing for it.

quote:Originally posted by BusanBhoy

And, hey if all this goes down, could we join asia too?[}:)] (we could EASILY be in the hunt for third spot in that conference)(although Afc refs seem to come from the same mold as ours):D

I don't think it would be as easy as most people seem to think.

Australia can move to any Confederation it wants to, but the sad fact is, if it can't beat the 5th placed team in South America, it has no business in the World Cup. It's not like the level of competition gets any easier.

On the plus side, Australian teams will get a better competition in the Asian Champion's League.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Australia can move to any Confederation it wants to, but the sad fact is, if it can't beat the 5th placed team in South America, it has no business in the World Cup. It's not like the level of competition gets any easier.

On the plus side, Australian teams will get a better competition in the Asian Champion's League.

Well, Saudi Arabia and China didn't seem to have any business at the World Cup and they were there. Hell, even France (holder) and Senegal couldn't beat Uruguay!

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Well, Saudi Arabia and China didn't seem to have any business at the World Cup and they were there. Hell, even France (holder) and Senegal couldn't beat Uruguay!

The difference is, I think, the AFC has a lot more clout than the OFC :D

I'm not arguing with you on the calibre of China, Saudi Arabia or France (hee, hee), but what's the use of guaranteeing a spot to a crappy team? At least if they can qualify through the AFC, they can claim they beat some somewhat decent teams.

quote:Originally posted by River City

But would forego an almost-guaranteed spot in the new Club World Championship.

Archived