U-17 Men's National Team

stephen smith

Stephen, check out the threads on this site about the U17 Canadian team which played in Italy a few weeks ago and the U18 team in Dallas right now.

The U17 team won one game, tied two and lost one in Italy while playing against club teams comprised of U16 and U17 players. I've been told the Atalanta team in that tournament has many good young players who will be full-time pros in several years.

Our U18 team in Dallas, with many of the same players, lost its first two games. I'm not sure what the opposition teams are like, whether they are U18 or older. The Lynx and a few other Ontario clubs also have youth teams in the Dallas tournament.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that our U17 team is really good, it may be better than our U16's but then so are other countries U17's better than their U16's.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Stephen, check out the threads on this site about the U17 Canadian team which played in Italy a few weeks ago and the U18 team in Dallas right now.

The U17 team won one game, tied two and lost one in Italy while playing against club teams comprised of U16 and U17 players. I've been told the Atalanta team in that tournament has many good young players who will be full-time pros in several years.

Our U18 team in Dallas, with many of the same players, lost its first two games. I'm not sure what the opposition teams are like, whether they are U18 or older. The Lynx and a few other Ontario clubs also have youth teams in the Dallas tournament.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that our U17 team is really good, it may be better than our U16's but then so are other countries U17's better than their U16's.

Huh I do not Understand what you are saying. Only one player that played in Italy is in the squad in Dallas. Hope you do better at analysis :D

quote:Originally posted by Observer

Huh I do not Understand what you are saying. Only one player that played in Italy is in the squad in Dallas. Hope you do better at analysis :D

Well put Observer! I heard that a U-17 player that was i believe the captain in Italy was asked but could not go because of injury.I dont know what his name is.You are also correct none of the players that were in Italy went to Dallas.

Observer, thanks for pointing out that the U17 team which played in Italy and the U18 team in Dallas are quite different. Rechecking the CSA notes, I see the U18 team only had two players who were born in 88, whereas the whole U17 team was comprised of 88's.

None of the players on our current U17 team comprise the "core" of our 2007 U20 team. The core, Begovic, Edgar, D'Agostino, Peters, Johnson and (hopefully) DeGuzman will be the backbone of the team. I would imagine some of the 88s will be counted on in a supporting role, Bourgault (who was considered our best in Italy by the Italian press according to Alberto, and is the player on the Dallas Cup roster), Shane Lammie, AJ Gray, Robert Kerek, Zach Kaltoff from the Italy team, along with others not in Italy such as Lensky, MacLean and Napoleao.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

None of the players on our current U17 team comprise the "core" of our 2007 U20 team. The core, Begovic, Edgar, D'Agostino, Peters, Johnson and (hopefully) DeGuzman will be the backbone of the team. I would imagine some of the 88s will be counted on in a supporting role, Bourgault (who was considered our best in Italy by the Italian press according to Alberto, and is the player on the Dallas Cup roster), Shane Lammie, AJ Gray, Robert Kerek, Zach Kaltoff from the Italy team, along with others not in Italy such as Lensky, MacLean and Napoleao.

Hey everyone! this a great topic.I am a frequent reader of thus forum and have observed some very interesting and informative opinions,and i must say some very mis-informed and rediculous ones also.

With all due respect Ivan, you can't just throw out names and state that none of the current U-17's will comprise the core of the 2007 team.I do agree the current players on the U-20's such as Peters,Edgar and hopefully DeGuzman will be the players called on, I do believe some of the current U-17's will make a impact.I believe in complete players and of all the 88's i would say the 3 most complete players would be Kyle Oliveira,Shane lammie and Bourgalt.

As for the last 3 names you mentioned (Lensky,Maclean,Napoleao) i don't think they are internayional material.

Just my opinion

quote:Originally posted by soccer loco

Hey everyone! this a great topic.I am a frequent reader of thus forum and have observed some very interesting and informative opinions,and i must say some very mis-informed and rediculous ones also.

With all due respect Ivan, you can't just throw out names and state that none of the current U-17's will comprise the core of the 2007 team.I do agree the current players on the U-20's such as Peters,Edgar and hopefully DeGuzman will be the players called on, I do believe some of the current U-17's will make a impact.I believe in complete players and of all the 88's i would say the 3 most complete players would be Kyle Oliveira,Shane lammie and Bourgalt.

As for the last 3 names you mentioned (Lensky,Maclean,Napoleao) i don't think they are internayional material.

Just my opinion

You are correct Soccer Loco. There is the possibility of some of the 88s making an impact. I apologize for my misinformed and/or ridiculous opinion. I have never seen the last three play, but there are many others on this board who feel these players are international material.

Unfortunately, my opinions are only formed by what I read and hear. However, I just today received the DVD of the U20 qualifying in Honduras from Canso (thanks again!) so in a couple of hours I will be able to say I have seen some of the 87s play.

quote:Originally posted by brandon

"As for the last 3 names you mentioned (Lensky,Maclean,Napoleao) i don't think they are internayional material.

Just my opinion"

i bet Celtic would beg to differ with you in regards to Lensky

Before anyeone gets the wrong idea let just say that i am not as politically correct as some,but i will always tell anyone how it is(or how i see things)I am a very strong supporter of all our National teams, but please don't insult my inteligence by presuming yhat just because a kid signs with Glasgow Cetic's Youth team does not guaranty him a spot on the National team.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

You are correct Soccer Loco. There is the possibility of some of the 88s making an impact. I apologize for my misinformed and/or ridiculous opinion. I have never seen the last three play, but there are many others on this board who feel these players are international material.

Unfortunately, my opinions are only formed by what I read and hear. However, I just today received the DVD of the U20 qualifying in Honduras from Canso (thanks again!) so in a couple of hours I will be able to say I have seen some of the 87s play.

Hey Ivan! No probs! Franlkly i think most people on this board form their opinions based on what everyone writes. Ivan, you will be pleasantly surprised at the talent on the U-20 team especially the 87's. This is why i think we are in very good shape come 2007.

quote:Originally posted by stephen smith

For anyone who wants to know Lensky was not resigned with Blackburn because they felt he was not developing and Maclean is with Burnley's Youth team that i believe is average at best.

Lensky was not resigned by Blackburn? Do you mean Will Johnson?

Archived