U18 Canada Travel for Dallas Cup

Ricardo06

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Men’s Youth (U20) Development Team left for Texas yesterday to prepare for competition in the 26th Annual Dallas Cup, which will run from March 20-27.

“The Dallas Cup is a superb tournament and we are happy to be taking part in this year’s edition,” said National Teams Manager Earl Cochrane.

“The group that we have been placed in is a difficult one but one that will provide these boys with some valuable international experience. The 1987s will definitely gain from competition as difficult as Saprissa (Costa Rica) and Paranaense (Brazil) and the experience is bound to benefit our preparations for 2007. For the handful of 86s that have been added to the squad, these games will certainly assist in their preparations for Holland, so we are extremely pleased.”

Participation in the Dallas Cup is by invitation only and teams are selected based on their competitive performance. Since 1979, players and coaches from 98 countries and six continents have ventured to the Lone Star state to battle it out on the soccer pitch, and this year’s event is no exception.

Canada’s squad consists of 18-players, aged 17-19, many of which will compete in the upcoming FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005. Notables Jaime Peters, Will Johnson and Asmir Begovic, who played an integral part in Canada’s successful qualifying campaign in Honduras early in the year, will not participate in the tournament.

The U-18 National Team will compete in the U-19 Super Group, in which they are guaranteed a minimum of three games in round robin competition, scheduled to start on March 20th.

More information on the Dallas Cup can be found at www.dallascup.com.

Match Schedule

March 20, 2005

14:00 Richland College Game vs. Deportivo Saprissa

March 21, 2005

16:00 University of Texas Game vs. C.A. Paranaense

March 23, 2005

16:00 Richland College Game vs. Dallas Texans

March 25, 2005

18:00 Lake Highlands Semi Final 1

20:00 Lake Highlands Semi Final 2

March 26, 2005

19:30 Lake Highlands Consolation Final

March 27, 2005

18:00 Lake Highlands Final

Roster

# Pos. Name Club DOB Hometown Prov.

1 GK CATLEY, Adam Ontario 19-Dec-87 Burlington ON

2 M STEWART, Vince Simon Fraser University (NAIA) 21-Jan-86 Delta BC

3 M KELLY, Patrick Trinity Western University 7-May-86 Cochrane AB

4 M ROSENLUND, Tyler UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

5 D LUMLEY, Stephen Ontario 16-Apr-87 Mississauga ON

6 D BARTKUS, Kyle Alberta 26-Jan-87 Edmonton AB

7 M PETRASSO, Vince Ontario 11-Apr-87 Woodbridge ON

8 M D'AGOSTINO, Mike University of Kentucky (NCAA) 7-Jan-87 Langley BC

9 F ELLIOTT, Alex BC 24-Apr-87 Vancouver BC

10 M GOMEZ, Emmanuel River Plate (Argentina) 30-Mar-87 Victoria BC

11 D TURNBULL, Masumi BC 30-Mar-87 Richmond BC

12 M McLEOD, Kerr Saskatchewan 22-Jul-87 Saskatoon SK

13 F DI IOIA, Massimo Quebec 18-Jun-87 Montreal QC

14 M CONTRERAS, Hector Quebec 24-Jun-87 Montreal QC

15 F DI SANO, Giancarlo AC Perugia (Italy) 27-May-86 Anjou QC

16 M RICKETTS, Tosant Alberta 6-Aug-87 Edmonton AB

17 M BOURGAULT, Jonathan Beaulieu Quebec 27-Sep-88 Ile Bizard QC

22 GK BORELLA, Lorenzo Quebec 12-Mar-88 Brossard BC

Staff

DUNCAN, Stew Head of Delegation

DOLISCAT, Rudy Staff Coach

DiPIETRANTONIO, Andrea Staff Coach

MULDOON, Kevin Equipment Manager/GK Coach

BROUWER, Binne Athletic Therapist

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Manager

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

this really is a developmental team, eh? well done!

Yes, this is great to see. I like that Rosenlund is going, especially since he's opted not to return to college where the soccer season is long done. I hope he catches the eye of a few clubs while in Holland later this year.

An article on Giancarlo Di Sano.

EduKick Player “Travels the World” Fulfilling Soccer Dreams

Toronto, ON - This has been a very good year for young Canadian soccer talent, Gian Carlo Di Sano. Di Sano, currently in Italy with AC Perugia’s “Grifo Master Soccer Development Program”, has excelled in his debut season playing for AC Perugia affiliate squad, AC Castelrigone in Italy and has also just been named to the Canadian National U19 Team for 2005 Dallas Cup competition.

AC Perugia’s Grifo Master “Soccer Boarding School in Assisi, Italy”, is currently home to the Anjou, Quebec native. Di Sano, 18, has been participating in the Grifo Master Program since September of 2004 and will remain with the program until June of this year. As part of the Grifo Master Program Class of 2004/05, Di Sano began training with AC Perugia Juniors and later began to split time training between his club team and the juniors. Says Di Sano, "Training with the AC Perugia Juniors is phenomenal…being in that professional football environment everyday…it can't be beat". He continued, "The pressure put on you in training is what impresses me most. For example, training intensity is just as high as game intensity; the speed, execution, and tackling are just a few things that occur in a high intensity training session. It's hard to judge a player in a 2 week trial; The Grifo Master Program gives pro coaches 9 months in which they can develop and monitor your daily progress from technique, speed, and consistency.”

Because of his Italian passport, Di Sano was able to join an AC Perugia affiliate Eccellenza squad, AC Catelrigone, of the ECCELLENZA UMBRA regional league. Without European Union passports, Grifo Master Players cannot play in the local regional leagues and can only participate in regular friendlies in addition to their daily training sessions.

Di Sano, with Italian parents back in Quebec, is offered the same opportunities as any other Italian kid in Italy…an advantage that he apparently is capitalizing on. EduKick V.P., Joey Bilotta, had this to say, “Gian Carlo made an immediate impact and extremely positive impression on the Castelrigone coaching staff, scoring an amazing 11 goals in 12 games! And before that he was raising the eyebrows of the AC Perugia Scuola Calcio coaching staff. I am particularly proud of him for what he achieved with Castelrigone…it was not easy coming in as an outsider…he showed the spirit of a leader who can score goals, and that’s impressive.” Bilotta continued, “GC told me that he wants to play pro ball in Italy and he has duel citizenship Italian/Canadian…so we are looking to keep him in Italy for professional consideration after the Grifo Master Program ends in June. We believe that he can do it.”

Di Sano also believes that he can do it. “My goal in coming to Italy was to ultimately stay and land a contract with an Italian club.”

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Yes, this is great to see. I like that Rosenlund is going, especially since he's opted not to return to college where the soccer season is long done. I hope he catches the eye of a few clubs while in Holland later this year.

Haven't seen any information that indicates that Rosenlund, at this point, has left UCSB on permanent basis and renounced his college eligibility (aka retained an agent). If he's currently playing in the VMSL (as was indicated in another post) he can retain his eligibility even if he's not enrolled in school for this semester.

If someone has info that definatively clarifies his status, that would be great. Personally, I'd like to see him keep his options open like Josh Simpson did last year (JS could have returned to college had his deal with Millwall not materialized).

Canada loses to Deportivo Saprissa 0-1 in their first game at the Dallas Cup.

Glen Shields and Toronto Lynx also have teams in the tournament.

Also North Mississauga Classics and Pickering FC

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Canada loses 6-0 today to the Brazilian Club Paranaense (sp?).

Geez, I know this is a club team against a team thrown together at the last minute, but I am surprised at Canada's poor results thus far.

I must say, it does not surprise me, but at the same time it disappoints me, due to the fact that they put it together at the last minute and no trainnig time.

The question that i have is ! If you can't do it right why bother!

It only diminishes the credibility of our National program.

quote:Originally posted by stephen smith

I must say, it does not surprise me, but at the same time it disappoints me, due to the fact that they put it together at the last minute and no trainnig time.

The question that i have is ! If you can't do it right why bother!

It only diminishes the credibility of our National program.

Yeah, the media are all over this one [B)]...

Meanwhile, let's NOT give the kids a chance to play together in a competitive environment.

Seriously guys....

Ivan and Stephen, you say the team was thrown together at the last minute, but could the CSA have really done this last minute. It must have been working on this trip for some time - contacting players to see who is available and willing to attend, making hotel and flight arrangements, getting CSA staff to see if they can be away from home for a week. I assume the CSA confirmed its participation with the Dallas organizers several months in advance.

What do you know about this trip that I don't know?

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Ivan and Stephen, you say the team was thrown together at the last minute, but could the CSA have really done this last minute. It must have been working on this trip for some time - contacting players to see who is available and willing to attend, making hotel and flight arrangements, getting CSA staff to see if they can be away from home for a week. I assume the CSA confirmed its participation with the Dallas organizers several months in advance.

What do you know about this trip that I don't know?

OK ! you tell me first what you know and then i tell you what i know! It just seems so logical for the CSA to do all these things all by themselves.

Daniel, let me clarify. I said I was surprised at the result. Nowhere did I say I thought it was a bad thing for the team to play in a competitive environment. My opinion is quite the contrary.

Analyst, I have no inside information whatsoever and know as much, maybe less, than you do. My reference to being thrown together last minute is that this group does not train together and I would imagine that some have never played with, maybe even never met, others before

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Daniel, let me clarify. I said I was surprised at the result. Nowhere did I say I thought it was a bad thing for the team to play in a competitive environment. My opinion is quite the contrary.

Analyst, I have no inside information whatsoever and know as much, maybe less, than you do. My reference to being thrown together last minute is that this group does not train together and I would imagine that some have never played with, maybe even never met, others before

That was for stephen smith who quoted you in his message. I agree with you and the results ARE dissapointing, but his proposition is downright dumb.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

I realize we're out of season and this is a true developmental side but 6-0 to a club side is not good.

Losing 6-0 to a Brazilian club is not surprising. They play together all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've been together for many years through younger age levels.

Just looking at the Roster, and I realized that Emmanuel Gomez (who's affiliated with Boca Juniors) used to play in Victoria for the Gorge Soccer Association. He was knee high to a grasshopper, but even as an 11 year old, you could tell there was something special about the kid. I'll be interested to see how these lads bounce back from the 6-0 defeat.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Losing 6-0 to a Brazilian club is not surprising. They play together all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've been together for many years through younger age levels.

We took a U-16 Calgary club team to the Ian Rush Tourney in Wales and played Botafogo U-17 and lost 4-1. The India National U-18s then defeated Botafogo in the final. I guess these weren't our very top players from this age group but I would still expect them to be competitive. Come on, just last month our 88 group played well against the top Italian youth teams. This is a disappointment no matter how you slice it.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

No goals in three games is discouraging, but I have always tried not to pay too much attntion to results achieved at this level. Moreso when it comes to U17 national teams etc etc. These teams ( just like the U16, U15) are essential for player development but at that age kids grow at a different ages and results are very often miss-leading IMO. If we were to play a very tactical or cynical game and get a good result but get dominatated from a technical stand point, then would that be good?. At that age, your learning curve for the tactical and team oriented aspect of the game is much steeper than the learning curve from basic skills.

IMO, Unlike the U20 age group, you cannot infer anything from results ( positive or negative ) earned at these level. My reasoning, see the list of player below who represented canada at the U17 WC in Ecuador in 1995. How many of them do we recognize today? Then look at the U17 team that failed to qualify in St. Louis a few years ago and look at what those players went on to do at the WYC in 2003. Furthermore, what percent of past U17 WC players from the around the world are recognized today?

It would proably be better for Canada to have a team at this level that earns a crappy result but has 1-2 exceptionally gifted players instaed of having a group that earns good results playing as a team where no one stands out

Taken from fifa.com

U17-Canada- 1995

starters

CLEMENTE David (GK)

BERNIER Patrice

PARKER Brad

DIPIETRANTONIO Paolo

STEWART Chris

LEE Adam

BENJAMIN Aaron

SMITH Mark

WELCH Jahmo

SORELLA Roberto

Bench

GALLAGHER Danny

MAIO Steve

MC MILLAN Edward

MATHOT Jason

JEFFREY Ian

DONEV Kris

LEWIS Allan

I just recognize 3 of these guys.

I completely agree with Free kick. I'd even extend that point of view, though to a lesser extent, to our U20s. To me the key is what happens around 20 to 23 years of age; that's where we have problems. I feel there are too many extreme opinions (up or down) concerning our younger players.

We shouldn't ignore how they perform at this age - they are 17, 18 and 19 years old.

Jamie Peters is this age, and Wayne Rooney made the Premier league when he was younger.

In Europe, the Pro teams scout the U17's very closely and sign them/invest money in them starting at U17 in hopes that they will develop into top pro's. U17 is the age the pro teams choose for their investments, any younger is too uncertain, and wastes club money.

Freekick has an interesting argument about the 1995 U17 team. Perhaps the coach who picked the players in 1995 did a poor job, or maybe some of the best players were unavailable for the team. I note Jamie Peters is not with the team in Dallas.

Another thing to consider is that we should expect to see very many players from any one age group on the MNT. There are only 18 spots on the MNT and players range in age from 18 to 35.

Archived