Garber "confirms" Toronto in MLS in 2007

Guest Ed

Speaking informally after a news conference in Salt Lake yesterday, he said that Toronto has one of the two expansion spots in 2007; the other has yet to be determined.

There is still a lot of work to be done before this becomes a reality... and 2007 is 2 years away. But it is important to create some momentum behind this move. Personnaly, I think this is a great thing provided Lynx, other A-League and PDL teams are all "kept in the loop" so to speak.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

We may see an USL side soon enough. I understand that the Thunder haven't given up the move yet... what separates them from actually getting there is an entirely different story.

I would love to see it happen (of course) but as long as a team still remains here, I'll be content.

*ahem* Hamilton Steelers - Voyageurs Cup Champions 2009

The gauntlet has been thrown down ;)

How will the V-Cup work if there is an MLS team playing in Toronto?

Will we simply ignore the fact that there is a higher level team playing within Canada and continue to award the Cup to Montre... I mean the best Canadian USL side?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Speaking informally after a news conference in Salt Lake yesterday, he said that Toronto has one of the two expansion spots in 2007; the other has yet to be determined.

Another report claims he said Toronto is in the running for one of the two spots.

Big difference between 'has one' and 'in the running for one'. Which was it?

Toronto has been in the running along with several US cities for an expansion slot for a long time now.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

How will the V-Cup work if there is an MLS team playing in Toronto?

Will we simply ignore the fact that there is a higher level team playing within Canada and continue to award the Cup to Montre... I mean the best Canadian USL side?

Well, there will be gaps in the MLS schedule when the other MLS teams play in the US Open Cup (not open to the Toronto "franchise" I assume) later in their season, so I'm sure any Toronto MLS entity would be looking for exhibition matches during those dates. If we could have the round robin winner with the USL1 Canadian teams done, we could have the leader play the MLS team in a match for the V-Cup sometime in late September or early October.

That is, if we (ie: CSA) don't get our own true Canada Open Cup going by then, and then we could include the CPSL, the PCSL and others in playdowns.

I figured out why the new censorship device was installed!

Watch what happens when you try to criticize MLS:

Great MLS!! Those bunch of American greats! Great those MLS greaters!!

One of the mods has gone to the other side.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Is there text that can be posted ?

I hope MLS Toronto can revive the Toronto Blizzard name. I know people in Winnipeg (and I'm sure many in TO) that would immediatly be huge fans if the Blizzard name could be revived. The Blizzard used to get the crowds that MLS TO would want to achieve, so it would be a huge marketing bonus.

As well it's a name that is (nationally) synonomus with Canadian soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Is there text that can be posted ?

I hope MLS Toronto can revive the Toronto Blizzard name. I know people in Winnipeg (and I'm sure many in TO) that would immediatly be huge fans if the Blizzard name could be revived. The Blizzard used to get the crowds that MLS TO would want to achieve, so it would be a huge marketing bonus.

As well it's a name that is (nationally) synonomus with Canadian soccer.

The rumour originated in this thread I believe:

http://www.realsaltlake.org/forums/showthread.php?t=580

I am not 100% sure but I believe McMaster Unversity is renovating Les Prince Field this year and turning it into a 7,000 seat stadium. That would be ideal for a Hamilton team in the USL. Its also in a nice setting on campus....lets hope the University would allow a professional side use it.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Being originally from Hamilton, my dad tells me that the TiCats newowner has done wonders for them. I think he is like Kerfoot and has a big software company....perhaps he would be an ideal owner for a USL franchise.

The TiCats owner is Bob Young, of Red Hat Software, who put out a popular Linux distribution.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

ya, mac is. They are actually ripping down Les Prince and making a new stadium. I will be stadium seats, not bleachers.

I would rather see another owner in Hamilton then the Lynxs.

Is it going to be grass? Les Prince would be a nice spot for an A-League stadium.

Archived