Legal fears prompt Football Ban in Soctland!

Desigol

Schools across Renfrewshire have banned pupils from taking part in after-school football over fears they would be sued for injuries.

Nineteen schools have introduced the ban across the county after advice from the local council.

They were banned because volunteer coaches were not covered by the schools' insurance schemes for after-class games.

It means the Paisley and District league has dropped from 42 to 23 teams.

'Organisers responsible'

The warning came after the Paisley and District Schools Football Association and its umbrella organisation, the Scottish Schools Football Association (SSFA), did not provide cover for all coaches for after-school games.

The only teams to continue playing will be those coached by teachers, who are covered by council insurance.

The council is also offering free first-aid and coaching training to volunteers.

Council leaders had told head teachers that if children were injured - including injuries in vehicle accidents on the way to games - the organisers would be held responsible.

A Renfrewshire Council spokesman said: "We're working in partnership with the SSFA to re-establish league football in the minority of schools where it's suspended.

I can't believe there's no way around this and I wonder if this could be a slight over-reaction from the council

Hamish Husband, Tartan Army

"We're awaiting confirmation of the new SSFA insurance policy and in the meantime we've devised a free programme of training for volunteers.

"We're prioritising schools that play in leagues which resume in Easter and the summer months so hopefully the issue will be resolved as soon as possible."

The Tartan Army criticised the move, saying the "compensation culture" could harm the grassroots development of Scottish football.

Spokesman Hamish Husband said: "I can't believe it's come to this.

"Schools football is the most important component in the grassroots of the game in Scotland.

"I can't believe there's no way around this and I wonder if this could be a slight over-reaction from the council."

:(

Seems to me over the years we too in Canada have seen sports affected by insurance fears. I may not be right on this but when Atlantic Baptist University first starting leasing out their track to High & Middle schools the lack of insurance thing raised it's head. Something to do with ABU refusing provincial funding and being a private property?

Archived