UK Voyageurs thread

Blue and White Army

Calling all Voyageurs in the UK,

There seems to be quite a few of us over on this side of the pond, perhaps enough so that we can get organised and hold the occasional event.

I was thinking of having a pub or dinner night every two or three months, or perhaps attending matches featuring Canadians.

BC-native Mika Dronyk's Ryman Division One club, Bashley FC, travel to London to take on Dulwich Hamlet this Saturday, which gave me the idea of some of us meeting up to take in the match and embarrass the poor lad. To be honest Dronyk might not travel, as he features more in the Bashley reserves, but you get the idea. Find a fixture featuring a Canadian that's convenient to attend, and a bunch of us can meet up for the game.

For those living in or around London, I'll try to get confirmation whether Dronyk will be travelling to Dulwich Hamlet this weekend. If not, there's always Barnet v Halifax Town on Saturday 9 April, in which Gordon Chin might make an appearance.

Anyone interested in this idea of a "UK Voyageurs' night out" every now and then?

Hi B&W.

I would love to come but I've got plans for the next few weekends.

Have you thought about going to a Portuguese cafe/bar for the Canada match on the 26th? There is a big Portuguese community Stockwell/Vauxall/Clapham way. (I'm away that weekend.)

I live around there so I'll make an enquiry.

Paul

There's a photo from the North Ireland v. Canada match in today's (Wed 23 Mar) Metro newspaper (if you can call it that) here in the UK.

It's on page 54, in colour, featuring I believe to be de Guzman (wearing #6, kinda small, dreadlocks on the back) and Occean (tall, either bald or crew cut, wearing #9).

By the way, anyone in London found a cafe carrying the Portugal-Canada match?

Just got off the phone with the Maple Leaf, and they basically said that (other than World Cup qualifiers in the afternoon,) NCAA basketball is first priority.

According to the NASN TV schedule, there's an NCAA match due on at 9:30pm, and since the footie begins at 8:30pm, I doubt they'd show the second half.

Not much of a Canadian pub when American basketball gets higher priority than Canadian soccer, is it? Doubt I'll be back there again...

Forget the Maple Leaf. It has to stay true to the theme of most Canadian mainstream sports bars. That means football won't get the respect it deserves. Last time I was there they had Australian bartenders that didn't know how to make a proper Ceasar.

I live in Lewisham so it wouldn't be too difficult for me to get over to that Portuguese Cafe in Stockwell. Is anyone else actually going to be there though? I haven't seen too many responses.

Martin Rose

Funny, I'm in Lewisham at my girlfriend's place at the moment. Do you ever go to Millwall games?

For anyone else interested, I plan to take in two non-league matches featuring Canadians this Monday. First up it's Ashford Town (Middlesex) v Oxford City at 3:00pm (hoping that Jon Henry-Hayden gets another crack at the first-team, given his recent Reserves goals and the large amount of Easter fixtures). Then at 7:30pm it's Elliot Godfrey's Hampton & Richmond Borough v Yeading FC (who recently played Newcastle United in the FA Cup) in the Middlesex Senior Cup final at Staines Town's new stadium.

Both matches are in the southwest of Greater London ("in da heart off da Staines ghetto", as Ali G would say), about a 30 walk from each other.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Funny, I'm in Lewisham at my girlfriend's place at the moment. Do you ever go to Millwall games?

Never been to Millwall, but it's only because I've been too lazy to send them a membership application. I also have been put off (rightly or wrongly) by the club's reputation. I only just returned to England at the end of January and I've been playing and coaching at a British Energy Kent County League side near Bromley. So I've only been able to go to matches when we've been called off because of the weather. I've been to Upton Park and Selhurst Park so far this year and I have a ticket to see my beloved Liverpool at Selhurst April 23rd. When I lived here (Blackheath Standard) in 2002/2003 I went to a few Charlton matches but I haven't been to any this year.

Marty

Small world! I've been keeping an eye on that league (http://www.kentcountyleague.co.uk/), and have been meaning to make a trip to see Lewisham Borough (Community) FC play. Apparently their ground has a running track around the pitch, though.

Wouldn't be Bromley Green you're playing for, would it?

Heheh, give us your name and we'll put you on the Canucks Abroad list. :D;)

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Wouldn't be Bromley Green you're playing for, would it?

Heheh, give us your name and we'll put you on the Canucks Abroad list. :D;)

Hey Blue and White Army,

It was good to watch the game with a fellow Canadian. We'll have to see if we can get a few more people together for the next one... whenever that is.

I know we already talked about this last night but just in case anyone else is wondering. I'm with Bromleians Sports - and it's with their Reserves! I'll give you the web site, but it's not even close to "Canucks Abroad" worthy! http://www.bromleians.org.uk

Bromley Green are not actually in Bromley. They are way out in East Kent.

Marty

Archived