Canadian Soccer Still in the Dark Ages

LMW

Again, I have already in the past brought ideas to the table ie having qualified soccer people to run/work at the CSA etc.. or using European development tactics at the youth level. etc.. To say I am ignorant of Canadian soccer is laughable. I am not the only one on this board who has a lot of criticism for the way things are done. I have been at this site since the late nineties, I might not post a lot but I have read other peoples posts, so lets not be ignorant to other posters shall we. What we see on the field is the result of 20 years of incompetence on the part of the CSA, period. The CSA lacks vision period. I will give them credit for bringing Osiek in to change some things, but we need more experienced soccer people to work at the CSA. What I would like to see is soccer people from Holland, Germany, Italy or maybe even Brazil to bring their experience to the CSA. I think we should take a bit of everything from each country and use this information to implement changes at the mom and pop coach minor level all the way up to the teen and twenties level. We should be using the same development techniques these countries use at the 4 to 5 year old level and up. These same techniques should be used all across the country so that we have a set of standards. This should apply also to coaching certification. Whatever standards the europeans are using to certify their amateur coaches we should be using too etc.. With this in place we would develop better players and our product on the field would improve greatly. This would lead to our own professional league. People want to see a quality product, so with the changes I suggested, we would have a decent product to watch.

quote:Originally posted by LMW

Again, I have already in the past brought ideas to the table ie having qualified soccer people to run/work at the CSA etc.. or using European development tactics at the youth level. etc.. To say I am ignorant of Canadian soccer is laughable. I am not the only one on this board who has a lot of criticism for the way things are done. I have been at this site since the late nineties, I might not post a lot but I have read other peoples posts, so lets not be ignorant to other posters shall we. What we see on the field is the result of 20 years of incompetence on the part of the CSA, period. The CSA lacks vision period. I will give them credit for bringing Osiek in to change some things, but we need more experienced soccer people to work at the CSA. What I would like to see is soccer people from Holland, Germany, Italy or maybe even Brazil to bring their experience to the CSA. I think we should take a bit of everything from each country and use this information to implement changes at the mom and pop coach minor level all the way up to the teen and twenties level. We should be using the same development techniques these countries use at the 4 to 5 year old level and up. These same techniques should be used all across the country so that we have a set of standards. This should apply also to coaching certification. Whatever standards the europeans are using to certify their amateur coaches we should be using too etc.. With this in place we would develop better players and our product on the field would improve greatly. This would lead to our own professional league. People want to see a quality product, so with the changes I suggested, we would have a decent product to watch.

What we really need more than anything is a pro league in Canada. We need more Canadian teams. All the foreign help in the world will amount to a pile of nothing if our young players do not have more options for club football.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

What we really need more than anything is a pro league in Canada. We need more Canadian teams. All the foreign help in the world will amount to a pile of nothing if our young players do not have more options for club football.

Yes, we need our own pro league like we had with the CSL, but for a pro league to survive it has to display a quality product for fans to come back. When we as fans or any other person tunes in to a mens national game we don't get to see an attractive brand of soccer. If you develop players at the 4 to 5 year old level and up, using the same development standards as the european's, you will see a great improvement in the quality of our play at all national levels. This will help get more players into Europe. Those countries will send more scouts over here when we take soccer seriously.

Hey, LMW, I'm all for improving coaching right across the board, but I don't believe those changes will amount to anything if we do not have somewhere for the bulk of our young players to go. Not everybody can get over to Europe. And, some will argue, heading over to Europe isn't always the best way to improve one's national side. We need a viable, very real professional option in North America, one with the sort of credible visibility that will make our young kids think, "Hey, someday I'm gonna play for the Whitecaps," or "I'm gonna bust my butt and learn to be a great technical player because that is what I have to do to make it on to the Impact etc." Right now, the atmosphere at the youth level is primarily--almost solely--amaturish. Which is fine, but clearly not good enough to create a large pool of very talented players for our national side. Put simply: most every coach and player in most every city or town with a soccer association in Canada is NOT thinking about pro-soccer. And if they are not thinking of making it to the pros, then they are likely not making the effort to get to the pros. (obviously). If kids start to see that you can make USD60,000.00 playing in the MLS, then they may start to aim for it. If they see more domestic or MLS soccer on TV, they may BELIEVE that there is a real career for them in soccer. And then, only then, will we start to see a cultural shift in canadian soccer. Foreign coaches and foreign influence are not bad ideas, but they aren't the first solution, nor are the even close to being the most important.

Hey, LMW, I'm all for improving coaching right across the board, but I don't believe those changes will amount to anything if we do not have somewhere for the bulk of our young players to go. Not everybody can get over to Europe. And, some will argue, heading over to Europe isn't always the best way to improve one's national side. We need a viable, very real professional option in North America, one with the sort of credible visibility that will make our young kids think, "Hey, someday I'm gonna play for the Whitecaps," or "I'm gonna bust my butt and learn to be a great technical player because that is what I have to do to make it on to the Impact etc." Right now, the atmosphere at the youth level is primarily--almost solely--amaturish. Which is fine, but clearly not good enough to create a large pool of very talented players for our national side. Put simply: most every coach and player in most every city or town with a soccer association in Canada is NOT thinking about pro-soccer. And if they are not thinking of making it to the pros, then they are likely not making the effort to get to the pros. (obviously). If kids start to see that you can make USD60,000.00 playing in the MLS, then they may start to aim for it. If they see more domestic or MLS soccer on TV, they may BELIEVE that there is a real career for them in soccer. And then, only then, will we start to see a cultural shift in canadian soccer. Foreign coaches and foreign influence are not bad ideas, but they aren't the first solution, nor are the even close to being the most important.

"What I would like to see is soccer people from Holland, Germany, Italy or maybe even Brazil to bring their experience to the CSA. I think we should take a bit of everything from each country and use this information to implement changes at the mom and pop coach minor level all the way up to the teen and twenties level."

I think this is where you lose credibility with me. I fail to see how by hiring soccer people from a multitude of countries around the world is going to help Canadian soccer. There is one thing wanting to replace the leader say Kevan Pipe for change sake and to have a new fresh outlook to saying that Canadians can't do the job or there are no decent soccer minds or people with vision in Canada.

Maybe you are a flake.

To me MLS is an American league to develop Americans but if people in this country want to see a Canadian team, fine, but don't expect the country to support Toronto, not gonna happen. We had our own league the CSL before the MLS and I would like to see a 10 team Canadian league again with Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Halifax, Hamilton. All these teams would have U23, U20, U18, U15 and U12 youth teams. These youth teams would play against each others counterparts within their own divisions to save on travel plus a couple of local select teams thrown in for more games, then play their eastern counterpart in the championship game. They would all follow european development tactics including the coaching. The main professional teams would have a limit of four foreign nationals on the field per team with the remaining 7 being Canadian and they would play their eastern counterparts. Would need Sportsnet or TSN to come on board to broadcast games. Would help to have local radio broadcast as well as other sponsorships. Need people with money and serious committment to get league going. If I was a billonaire I would be in the process of getting it going, but alas, I can always dream. To all you multi millionaires or billionaires in Canada, get off your duff and get our own league up and running again!!

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

"What I would like to see is soccer people from Holland, Germany, Italy or maybe even Brazil to bring their experience to the CSA. I think we should take a bit of everything from each country and use this information to implement changes at the mom and pop coach minor level all the way up to the teen and twenties level."

I think this is where you lose credibility with me. I fail to see how by hiring soccer people from a multitude of countries around the world is going to help Canadian soccer. There is one thing wanting to replace the leader say Kevan Pipe for change sake and to have a new fresh outlook to saying that Canadians can't do the job or there are no decent soccer minds or people with vision in Canada.

Maybe you are a flake.

Did I see replace Canadians idiot? I said to bring in people to work at the CSA. I took courses in HR Management and in HR Management there is a saying that if you don't have the know how to do it yourself then you bring people in with the experience who do. As for calling me a flake, if you were standing in front of me, I would knock your block off. To say that bringing in people from countries like Holland, Germany or Italy would not help Canadian soccer, is ludicrous. That is like a Chinese hockey coach saying I won't bring in Canadian hockey coaches because it won't help chinese hockey. I don't know how you rank credibility but yours just went off the looney scale. LOL.

LMW: You took courses in HR management? Very funny considering how you've offered to knock Moosehead's beantlered noggin off. And Moosehead was the only one--aside from perennial loons such as Luis and Elricko--to defend you earlier. Damn, that's good HR!! Maybe you should apply for a job at the CSA.

LMW, what was your old handle? I don't remember you, and I've been around this board for a while.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

LMW: You took courses in HR management? Very funny considering how you've offered to knock Moosehead's beantlered noggin off. And Moosehead was the only one--aside from perennial loons such as Luis and Elricko--to defend you earlier. Damn, that's good HR!! Maybe you should apply for a job at the CSA.

LMW, what was your old handle? I don't remember you, and I've been around this board for a while.

I don't need defending, especially when I have come up with some good ideas to improve our game. As far as I can tell the people we have in charge running our program are not getting the job done. Holger Osiek was brought in to change things and he was from GERMANY . Moosehead alluded to the fact that, why would we bring in, god forbid, people from actual soccer playing countries to turn things around in Canada. Then he uses a derogatory remark because his pride is insulted that just maybe us Canadian's don't have nearly the same experience as people from Holland, Italy, Germany. Who cares where there from as long as they have the experience and can work along side us to get us to the European level. If we as Canadian's have to go to different Countries in Europe to learn from them and bring that information back so be it.

And no, I have never had a different handle, I have always been LMW, but like I said, I never used to post a lot of threads, I would always read posts. And yeah the "flake" comment by Moosehead deserved a response. I get insulted for coming up with ideas, I get insulted for not coming up with ideas, go figure.

I am with LMW on this one. We are in no position to refuse help from people who make an (honest) living from the game, i.e, PROFESSIONALS.

p.s. Kids, learn to walk before moving on to the quote thang.

Moosehead, you can have the best of both worlds with the expertise of both european soccer and canadian business. In partnership, together, to turn things around. You said we lack funding, well if I am a professional businessman, I would take one look at the CSA and see the lack of leadership. This has been alluded to by others on this board. Any organization that requires funding has to have leadership, professionalism and vision. In my opinion, I just don't see that with the CSA.

You said we lack funding, well if I am a professional businessman, I would take one look at the CSA and see the lack of leadership. This has been alluded to by others on this board. Any organization that requires funding has to have leadership, professionalism and vision. In my opinion, I just don't see that with the CSA.

Agree with these statements by you 100%. We need fresh leadership at the CSA with vision and competency.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I wonder if something should be done about the use of multiple aliases on this forum. There is a very famiar pattern to all these kind of posts.

Something is done about aliases when there is more evidence (ie. information that only admins/mods can see) than "a very familiar pattern" of posts. Several aliases have indeed been locked out, and the admins and mods are always on the lookout for others.

As for the particular accusations being made in this thread, there is no further evidence that the suspects are really the same person (in fact, the information suggests otherwise).

Another reminder to everyone: don't call each other names or otherwise attack each other!

I was thinking that probably the best thing for Canadian soccer would be for the team to get progressively worse and too lose all or most off their games. This would finally put public pressure on for a complete change of the henchman at the CSA. Sounds radical but I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel with the way things are going now. Tired of mediocrity by the CSA and a bad display of soccer by our national team. I have supported the National Team since 1986, but I becoming disgusted to the point of never supporting soccer in this country again. How many times can you watch a pathetic display of soccer??? it is embarrasing. There is no effort in this country to improve the game to the level of the european game. After last WC Qualifying, you could see the total lack of effort to get us to the World Cup. I am also tired of hearing how things will be better next time around. Things never change, it is always more of the same!!!. If the CSA wants Canada to stay in the dark ages thats fine, but they can f.cking do it without my support.

Don't bail on the team....there is still some positives,look at the under 20 side, the future looks good. What needs to be done is (sorry if iam repeating myself ) is 1) Find a quality manager 2) get the team together more then 3-4 times a year. 3) get a national league

going (the sooner the better). 4) Stop playing meaningless friendlies with top european/south american sides, and lets improve where our

future lies, Concacaf, after improving in our region then worry about

the Portugals,Germanys,Irelands' etc.

Archived