Canadian Soccer Still in the Dark Ages

LMW

I was thinking that probably the best thing for Canadian soccer would be for the team to get progressively worse and too lose all or most off their games. This would finally put public pressure on for a complete change of the henchman at the CSA. Sounds radical but I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel with the way things are going now. Tired of mediocrity by the CSA and a bad display of soccer by our national team. I have supported the National Team since 1986, but I becoming disgusted to the point of never supporting soccer in this country again. How many times can you watch a pathetic display of soccer??? it is embarrasing. There is no effort in this country to improve the game to the level of the european game. After last WC Qualifying, you could see the total lack of effort to get us to the World Cup. I am also tired of hearing how things will be better next time around. Things never change, it is always more of the same!!!. If the CSA wants Canada to stay in the dark ages thats fine, but they can f.cking do it without my support.

quote:Originally posted by LMW

I was thinking that probably the best thing for Canadian soccer would be for the team to get progressively worse and too lose all or most off their games.

Newsflash, we're already doing this! ;)

what I would really like to see is for all players to boycott the national team until there is serious change in the leadership structure of soccer in this country. desperate measures are needed.

Ah, player mutiny.

Apparently that's already happened. Thus by-by Holger, hello Frankie, and so long World Cup 2006.

Also, apparently, the soccer gods demanded a sacrifice to insure a bountifull harvest of footie success' down the road, in this the spring of our recovery towards greatness. Lacking a virgin (Kevin Pipe was busy that month) we gave up qualifying for Germany instead.

Hopefully it'll all be worth it in the very near future.

Oh-oh. Just had a mental image of a football game being played out on Mount Olympus complete with traditional Greek Gods and mythical characters. Both on the pitch and of course, in the stands.

Aries would have to be the most wicked centre half in the history of the game. Or maybe holding mid? Or should I say "midfield destroyer" (just my little funny).

Hermes whipping up and down the wings (ha! Like that one?).

Cassandra blue in the face yelling instructions from the touch line. And completely frustrated by her players unfailing ability to just ignore them.

Homer could ref. He was blind wasn't he?

I better stop now.

Kevin "Crack" Pipe has no vision. With all the energy that eh's expanded so far we should have:

- Strong national programs all around

- Increased sponsorship from private corperations

- A National League

- A Canada Open Cup

Anybody interested in a Canadian "Storming of the Bastille"?

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Kevin "Crack" Pipe has no vision. With all the energy that eh's expanded so far we should have:

- Strong national programs all around

- Increased sponsorship from private corperations

- A National League

- A Canada Open Cup

Anybody interested in a Canadian "Storming of the Bastille"?

I've said it before, written many times to FIFA, UEFA,CONCACAF and the CSA re. the abysmal state of the world's number one sport, in this country, and it's certainly worth repeating for any newcomers. A true description that fits , is Canada-"THE WORLD'S SOCCER WASTELAND".In size, population, money etc, we have to be the world's worst!!! p.s. ironically, from all the many,many letters I have written over many,many years, the only organisation that has never rewsponded is the CSA!!!!

quote:Originally posted by elricko

I've said it before, written many times to FIFA, UEFA,CONCACAF and the CSA re. the abysmal state of the world's number one sport, in this country, and it's certainly worth repeating for any newcomers. A true description that fits , is Canada-"THE WORLD'S SOCCER WASTELAND".In size, population, money etc, we have to be the world's worst!!! p.s. ironically, from all the many,many letters I have written over many,many years, the only organisation that has never rewsponded is the CSA!!!!

The reason the CSA would not respond to you is because they know that they are entirely resonsible for the "soccer wasteland" in this country. Nothing will change until people start to take action instead of just talk. Soccer supporters in this country have to be more pro-active, like in Europe, where the real fans are.

Guys!!! The reality out there is that Canada's National team is looked upon as pure s...t by everyone in this country. I was inside a pub just not too long ago with my Canadian soccer jersey and these British guys were actually laughing at me by saying: "Canada is worth s...t or your team sucks big time."

quote:Guys!!! The reality out there is that Canada's National team is looked upon as pure s...t by everyone in this country. I was inside a pub just not too long ago with my Canadian soccer jersey and these British guys were actually laughing at me by saying: "Canada is worth s...t or your team sucks big time."
"Hi. I'm from England. We invented football. It's our national sport. We have thousands of renowned professionals. You may have heard of us. We've won ONE more World Cup than Canada. And the same number of European Championships."

Geezus, Luis. The day a couple of Brits in a bar represent "everyone in this country" is the day I kiss the Queen of England's a**.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys!!! The reality out there is that Canada's National team is looked upon as pure s...t by everyone in this country. I was inside a pub just not too long ago with my Canadian soccer jersey and these British guys were actually laughing at me by saying: "Canada is worth s...t or your team sucks big time."

WTF did you expect? British guys to say otherwise?

This is what you should say: "I know. I know. We haven't won the

World Cup like you have (sarcastically), but this is the only country

I got so I'll support them no matter what." And don't take it

personally, for kristsakes. Can't argue with F'n idiots!

Or did you cry again?;)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well goodbye. It was nice not knowing you. Don't forget to shut the door behind you.

Well, I was wondering when the sarcasm would come, what took you so long?

I know many people may have said this before but I know it is important enough to be said again. It is very easy and tempting to critize the different problems within Canada's soccer industry. However, if one cares enough about Canada to spend time in this forum to critize certain aspects, then one must act accordingly to improve what is thought to need improvement. For those who act, BRAVO!! For those who don't, please think twice and see what you can change.

For example, a youth coach is unhappy with the financial support given to his club. He makes sure the board of directors know his position. But he also goes out to track down his friend who owns a restaurant. He negotiates a sponsorship logo on the jerseys in exchange for $3000.

People may be tired of living through all of Canada's disappointments but I could not be more tired then hearing so many cowards complaining when they are not willing to work to solve the stated problems. It somewhat follows JFK's principle, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your contry.

It is very surprising to see the impact of one man's work upon others. For example, a parent is unhappy with the lack of competition within the club. He/she begins to talk to other parents who begin to feel the same way. The parent then talks to the club coach about the issue. When the other parents see this, they begin to talk to even more people, escalating the issue. It comes to a point where the directors hear about the issue from their league associates. The directors feel the their is negative image set upon the club necause of this issue. They decide to pressure the coach to find ways to solving the issue. The coach decides to move up the team 2 age groups older and begins to plan a international tournament.

Really, it is the very small acts that we do that will make the greatest progress in the future of Canada's soccer. Please have the integrity and courage to act for what you believe in, regardless of what others think or do.

quote:Originally posted by elricko

Well, if you've said it before, then, uh... How is that relevant exactly? And WHY are you writing to UEFA about Canadian soccer? Get YOURSELF involved (as someone said) instead of shooting little-read emails left and right to anyone with an address.

And for LMW, let me disregard all your comments not only because they are ENTIRELY counter-productive and "beastian" (let's stop playing!) but also because you show us a crass lack of respect and don't expect your comeupance. If we're not "real fans", than don't bother with us, eh?

And let me ask you this: what have YOU done?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Well, if you've said it before, then, uh... How is that relevant exactly? And WHY are you writing to UEFA about Canadian soccer? Get YOURSELF involved (as someone said) instead of shooting little-read emails left and right to anyone with an address.

And for LMW, let me disregard all your comments not only because they are ENTIRELY counter-productive and "beastian" (let's stop playing!) but also because you show us a crass lack of respect and don't expect your comeupance. If we're not "real fans", than don't bother with us, eh?

And let me ask you this: what have YOU done?

Actually my comments are productive, they show the state of the game in Canada at the moment, I don't try to hide my head in the ground and pretend everything is fine. If you had read some of my past comments you would have seen my ideas on changing the leadership at the CSA. "Beastian" yeahhh righht. The lack of respect is only due to those supporters who want the status quo and criticize those that want change.I probably should have re worded it better. And there are those on this board that don't like people criticizing the CSA no matter what. Critical comments of any organization leads to pressure which leads to change. And just how counter productive is change? We don't have a league of own, we never qualify for the World Cup, our quality of play on the field is awful, basically amateur, until recently we had not had a mens national game in canada in quite the last few years, I mean WTF is with that??? Let's just apply what I said above to our hockey, what do you think would happen? YOU and I both know what would happen, right. With regard to "lets stop playing" again this is short term pain for long term gain, lest you forget that Pat Onstad is already on record as stating Pipe lacks leadership qualities, which is quite an understatement. For attacking Elricko above for caring enough to want Canada to be at the level of other countries shows your lack of class. He has a valid point. Again this puts the spotlight on Canadian soccer and whats wrong with it. With respect to asking me what have I done, I am asking you what has the CSA done to take the game in this country to the next level? Wow, I sure don't see anything. We are still at the same level we were 20 years ago. Maybe you can enlighten me.

Originally posted by Daniel

So you confirm you've done nothing? Have you gone to local pro games or nat games? Have you helped organise support? Anything?

Because bitching on a message board just doesn't cut it.

Well, I have been to national games, whitecaps games, I have played indoor and outdoor, I even sent an email to the CSA asking Kevin Pipe to resign for the good of Canadian Soccer. Message boards are for bitching, otherwise they would not be around, I mean your bitching right now. I take it by your non reply that the CSA has done nothing to take the game in this country to the next level. I am pretty sure it is in their mandate to develop the professional game in this country.

Gee how productive is that. We are perfectly able to see the state of the game for ourselves. Thanks you very much.

You want to change the leadership. Then by all means go ahead and get involved and do it yourelf. Stop wasting your time on this board.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Well said (in humongous letters :P).

As I have said before, I am convinced that these posts come from one person or at most two. The person uses multiple aliases to make it look like there is a concensus around his views because there really isn't. The reason that there isn't is because the thoughts are inane and there is no possible way a small group of people can all concure around one certain inane thought. For example, it might be logical to think that one person feels that kevin Pipe is doing a bad job. Fair enough, There might be 25 people who agree with that. One person play that as number 1 priority while the other might place this priority as number 10, 25, 30 and so forth. but how can you explain 5-7 all supporting this common viewpoint as the principle resolution to a problem? Come one!!!!

There is a very familiar pattern in that these posts are very critical and even at times personal. Now why would we ever care to the point of getting personal. There are far more important things in life. Furthermore, they very much lack specifics and all full of generalities. Thirdly they represent very much a collection of viewoints raised at one time or another ( by others)over a long period and get repeated over and over. Much like if some one was making a list of things against you by digging dirt on what others said rather than one own thoughts and opinions. So it does strike me very much like someone is trying to serve their own agenda. Finally, you can't vouch for any of these names. I'v never met them or met someone who has met them. Or even corresponed with them.

Problem is, to the outsiders lurking in the board every now an them, he/she might that these views are more widespread than they are.

Tony and others, some good points.

I can understand LMW's frustration, but by all accounts he/she appears to be unfamiliar with the core realities of Canadian soccer. Yes, we are NOT a great international soccer nation. But why not? LMW, you need to be more thorough in your criticism. Look at other successful soccer nations and tell me what they have that we don't. If you look closely and carefully, you will find that their governing bodies--their national equivalent to our CSA--are not particularly well run, yet they still get great international results. Is it the coaching? Sure, in part, but a great coach can't make ****e players into stars. Are our players ****e? Well, no, but we don't have any stars, and have few players playing at top levels. Why is this?

LMW, if you'd taken the time to think this out more thoroughly, you'd see that we are in the "dark ages" because we do not have a solid domestic league. We need a larger pool of quality players, and until that happens, we will struggle to get anywhere internationally. Why do we kick ass in hockey? Well, a good 30 - 40% of the players in the best league in the world--at least it WAS the best league--are Canadian. We have a junior system that is only rivaled by the Russian system for its ability to develop loads of young talent.

It is NOT the responsibility of the CSA--a government funded sporting agency--to create professional soccer teams. The CSA is playing some sort of role, we know that, but it is up to investors to start up a league or build teams etc. So why don't they? Why don't we have a league? Or why don't we have 3 teams in the MLS? Perhaps potential investors get the feeling that it would be a waste of money, that fan support would be too low to make the risk worthwhile. And when you listen to individuals such as LMW and Luis and the Beast and Elricko--are they all the same poster?--then you can't really blame these investors for thinking this way. What fickle and poorly informed fans!

I don't think people should be so hard on LMV. If he comes on here and registers to make a post he or she must have some compassion for Canadian soccer. He may care but just not have the knowledge at this time on what issues have been discussed on this board. To be fair, a lot of fans have lost a bit of faith after the last world cup qualifying campaign and one must acknowledge that there was some definite incompetency issues such as the arranging of flights. There must have been some internal problems prior to the Guatemala game to have such a lack lustre performance.

I also think that the soccer community is too small to come and say to a new poster what do you do for Canadian soccer. When the European media criticizes their manager or coach etc. do people come and say what have you done for soccer, why don't you go out and coach etc. One role of the Voyageurs is to act as a media critic ( because we cannot rely on our media to do this) to hold our association accountable.

I also don't think it is far fetched to criticize the COO of the CSA, Kevan Pipe, I would base this on his long tenure with the CSA and our mediocre performance (90th ranking for senior men) and are failure to qualify for the world cup since 1984.

As far as I know, I don't post under another Alias just LMW which are the initials of my name. I was on here long before the Beast. Some people on here are just trying to use censorship of other viewpoints they don't like. Again all my posts have valid points and I will stand by them. If people don't like them you don't have to reply to them. As for newcomers who read these and other posts like them, they get to see the true state of our game as it is now. You can't try to pretend everything is ok with Canadian soccer because it is not. There are some positives, but we seem to take one step forwards and two back. For instance in Gold Cup 2000 Holger Osiek, had our team playing an attractive brand of soccer. We passed the ball around with confidence and our touch on the ball was really good ie technical play. If you look at our play now, it is totally disorganized, again due to lack of time together etc. among other things. When there is a concerted effort to move our game up to the level of the European game then my posts will reflect that. Not every poster on a message board is going to be positive, there has to be criticism. For instance we should have qualified for the hex but due to poor preparation of our National team we did not and this responsibility falls squarely on the CSA. Or a positive, our Under 20 team has done a good job to qualify for Holland. etc...

As far as I know, I don't post under another Alias just LMW which are the initials of my name. I was on here long before the Beast. Some people on here are just trying to use censorship of other viewpoints they don't like. Again all my posts have valid points and I will stand by them. If people don't like them you don't have to reply to them. As for newcomers who read these and other posts like them, they get to see the true state of our game as it is now. You can't try to pretend everything is ok with Canadian soccer because it is not. There are some positives, but we seem to take one step forwards and two back. For instance in Gold Cup 2000 Holger Osiek, had our team playing an attractive brand of soccer. We passed the ball around with confidence and our touch on the ball was really good ie technical play. If you look at our play now, it is totally disorganized, again due to lack of time together etc. among other things. When there is a concerted effort to move our game up to the level of the European game then my posts will reflect that. Not every poster on a message board is going to be positive, there has to be criticism. For instance we should have qualified for the hex but due to poor preparation of our National team we did not and this responsibility falls squarely on the CSA. Or a positive, our Under 20 team has done a good job to qualify for Holland. etc...

I don't think anybody is saying criticism has no place here and I'm pretty sure no one here is accepting the status quo. I think what most posters are getting at is the fact that your main beef is not something new (change within the CSA) and the fact that your solution is asinine and not really worth discussing (losing games in order to put forth pressure for change).

If you want to have a productive discussion about affecting change in the CSA, then bring an intelligent argument to the table. I'm not trying to be mean by saying that, but it's obvious that your solution is not very well thought out. I can go into more detail if you want.

Just one posters opinion though...

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I don't think anybody is saying criticism has no place here and I'm pretty sure no one here is accepting the status quo. I think what most posters are getting at is the fact that your main beef is not something new (change within the CSA) and the fact that your solution is asinine and not really worth discussing (losing games in order to put forth pressure for change).

If you want to have a productive discussion about affecting change in the CSA, then bring an intelligent argument to the table. I'm not trying to be mean by saying that, but it's obvious that your solution is not very well thought out. I can go into more detail if you want.

Just one posters opinion though...

Yeah, El Hombre, you put it nicely! Very succinct and fair. I echo your sentiments...

Archived