Lot more soccer on TV and Radio

Jarrek

On my way into the office this morning i turn on the FAN590, and guess what they're talking about? Champions League Soccer.

On my way home, they're talking about the Toronto MLS expansion proposal. Seems like the NHL lockout is definately bringing soccer into the spotlight.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

On my way into the office this morning i turn on the FAN590, and guess what they're talking about? Champions League Soccer.

On my way home, they're talking about the Toronto MLS expansion proposal. Seems like the NHL lockout is definately bringing soccer into the spotlight.

Not only is soccer getting more attention, which is a good thing. But from what I've read Major Jr A and tier 2 hockey attendance is way up.

Maybe the millionaires of the No Hockey League could stay out for another couple of years.

on my way home @ around 23:30 last night I had FAN590 on and they were talking about Champions league and I dont know how many of you guys knew this I didnt Bob McCowen is a soccer supporter :) yes its true the two guys on the show were giving him a hard time becuase I think he wants to keep it on the "down low". The entire thing was brough up becaue they mentioned that he was a play by play announcer for the NASL he did Ft. Louderdale games as well as some Chicago Sting games. Hmmm after hearing him @ Fan590 and watchg "The Business of Sports" I cant really see him yealling. " Oh now johnson cross in the middle Smith gets his head on it ohhh lovley that was brilliat GOOOOOLL" :) hey but you never know. I hope the lockout never get resolved. I could care less all this soccer coverage is awsome.!!!!

I watched four of the best champions league games ever on a huge screen in an empty pub with two other people and a cute, flirty bartender!!!

It was greating great!!

That would never happen in hockey season any other year.

It did help that TSN lost both the men's and women's curling championships. Both legs of the CL first knock out stage lined up perfectly with the Brier and the Tournament of Hearts. But the NHL lockout still has had a positive effect on soccer coverage. Let's hope that the coverage remains when hockey comes back.

Originally posted by Massive Attack

It did help that TSN lost both the men's and women's curling championships. Both legs of the CL first knock out stage lined up perfectly with the Brier and the Tournament of Hearts. But the NHL lockout still has had a positive effect on soccer coverage. Let's hope that the coverage remains when hockey comes back.

[/quot

Hey Massive Attack.

I think Tsn soccer will continue Hockey Strike or no Strike. A lot of people are watching.aND REALLY WHAT HAS TSN got to show. Not much

quote:Originally posted by nedved9

I think Tsn soccer will continue Hockey Strike or no Strike. A lot of people are watching.aND REALLY WHAT HAS TSN got to show. Not much

Are TSN's ratings available for us to view online anywhere? I have my doubts that "alot of people are watching". Canso just mentioned 2 posts earlier that he watched 4 games in a pub containing a grand total of two customers. I watched Juve x RM in a pub with 520 other customers yet I KNOW for sure that nobody is really watching CL in the U.S. :(

4 games in a pub containing a grand total of two customers.

Point is it was setup for hockey, and it was great because typically you gotta squeeze in with a crowd of Scousers downtown if you want to watch soccer on a big screen.

And although I tell people it is the beach, technically it is Scarborough, so...

The Waterhouse on Queen. They have a WorldCup 2006 mural on the outside wall.

Pretty sure it was a one off situation with the cold weather affecting attendance, but if I can keep the bartender on my side we might be able to fight off the basketball cretins and keep it a little piece of soccer heaven!

Could use some backup though!

It is west of Vic Park, but it still sounds and smells like Scarborough. It was great to catch the games after work and there was nobody there to spoil the suspense.

If they do the same for the quarterfinals I will try and reserve some space.

The increase in coverage of actual matches is great. However, I could personally do without all the other coverage, ie. scores being mentioned all over the place, talk shows on the radio, etc. First of all, I'm trying to avoid all the Champions League scores until I watch the matches, but now they are being reported in places I wouldn't expect! Second, those talk shows are pretty pointless for people who know a lot about soccer like we do, because they are not aimed at our level (the Web will always be the best source).

Archived